Steering Wheel "Darts/Jolts" Over Bums/Imperfect Road

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
So I just wanted to gather some thoughts as to what this might be. Over bumps/imperfect roads my steering wheel wobbles left and right like crazy almost like the way the steering in an empty U-haul truck feels where your wheel feels like it's "floaty" and easily jolted around by the road surface. I'm currently at 60k miles but it's felt like this since I bought it at 25k miles. It hasn't gotten better or worse over time. Suspension is stock. I've had it aligned multiple times and the tread wear is even all around. I've had the stock 19" wheels and P-zero tires on the car as well as 20" wheels with Nitto NT555 tires on the car and the "jolty-ness" in the steering wheel hasn't changed whatsoever. I have an aftermarket steering wheel but the feeling was the same with the stock steering wheel so I don't think that's it. Any ideas what this is and what I can do to stop my car from feeling like a rental box truck on bumpy roads? Suspension is bone stock.
Sponsored

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Even stock, the bump steer isn't really good in these cars. Several companies sell an adjustable bump steer kit to help correct this. Rule of thumb is the steering tie rods being parallel with the lateral link. If you confirm that your suspension components are all in good working condition, this is your best bet.

At 60k miles, you'll start noticing the need to replace certain bushings if you push your car hard occasionally, so double check that nothing needs to be serviced before throwing parts at it.

OP
OP
NoahsArk117

NoahsArk117

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
Even stock, the bump steer isn't really good in these cars. Several companies sell an adjustable bump steer kit to help correct this. Rule of thumb is the steering tie rods being parallel with the lateral link. If you confirm that your suspension components are all in good working condition, this is your best bet.

At 60k miles, you'll start noticing the need to replace certain bushings if you push your car hard occasionally, so double check that nothing needs to be serviced before throwing parts at it.
That's funny you say that because a few weeks ago I noticed minor groans from the suspension when turning left and when getting in and out of the car. I suspected some bushings were on their way out. Thanks for the tips! I'll have the system inspected by my dealer and go from there.
Sponsored