Steering situation.....

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Okay, I'm a proud new owner of a 2015 Mustang GT Premium in Guard Metallic. Well, I should say used, considering it had about 14,000 miles on her when I got the call from a buddy at the dealership. Anyway, it was love at first sight and the rest is history. I was a previous Challenger owner and decided that I was better suited to be back in a Ford, especially a Mustang. So, I took her for a short test drive and the experience was out of this world compared to driving a Challenger over the past year. Yea, I only had it for a year when I was called about the Mustang and decided to trade her in. Everything seemed great during the test drive so I had absolutely no complaints. Now, it's been about a week since I bought her and have starting noticing that the steering feels loose or sloppy at times, especially when traveling down the freeway when hitting the bumps. The steering wheel seems to wonder or turn freely when hitting bumps in the roads. My question is if this is a normal experience with the Mustangs? And if it is what can I do to either minimize it as much as possible or just fix it. I hope that I have explained it correctly too. I've only put new 20x10 rims on her and changed the exhaust so far so no suspensions mods made yet. Any help would be appreciated guys......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
The free front swaybar mod really tightened up the steering and front end for me. If you have really good drill bits and lots of patience, it is worthwhile to get rid of the numb steering feel.

vance knight

Vance Knight
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
You have the Premium model so you have toggle switch that gives you options on steering settings---select sport. It will stay on that setting until or if you change it later on.

Front end alignment might help as well, noticed you changed to different rims as well as wheel size.

Vance

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Toggle the steering to sport.

Go ahead and get an alignment, sounds like that's probably the issue. Try for more castor.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
What you are experiencing is called Tramlining where the tire would want to follow the ruts in the road. It happens when you widen the front tires.

Sponsored

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
You have the Premium model so you have toggle switch that gives you options on steering settings---select sport. It will stay on that setting until or if you change it later on.

Front end alignment might help as well, noticed you changed to different rims as well as wheel size.

Vance
Will it stay that way when you turn the car off and go to turn it back on, or does it default to normal and you must select it every time?

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Will it stay that way when you turn the car off and go to turn it back on, or does it default to normal and you must select it every time?
Stays there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GreenGuardian

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Ivancrf, not sure what the free away at mod is though.

OP
OP
GreenGuardian

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I should have mentioned about the toggles, sorry guys. I've tried the normal, sport, and comfortable mode. Strangely the comfortable mode seems to be the tightest but is still loose.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
you drill holes in the sway bar and move the endlinks to adjust the sway bar stiffness. Like how aftermarket sway bars would have

Sponsored
OP
OP
GreenGuardian

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Darn auto correct, not sure what the free sway bar mode is.

OP
OP
GreenGuardian

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Do you think that maybe I should do the Steeda bump steer suspension mode?

halc9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible - White, Automatic
[MENTION=19308]jasonstang[/MENTION] may be on to something with the wider front tires. OP - what size wheels/tires were on the car when you test drove it? Did you replace tires also with the new wheels? Could have a tire with a twisted belt that doesn't track right. Are the new wheels heavier? Lots of variables that could cause the condition you're describing.

OP
OP
GreenGuardian

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Can't remember the tire size, but I believe the rims were 18". What I have on there now are 20"X10" Niche rims with 275/35ZR20 Nitto NT555 tires.

Sponsored