Sponsored

Steeda's Shelby GT350/R Mustang Bumpsteer Kit 555-8134 (Video Inside)

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hello All:

I wanted to share the latest video from Steeda's video series ... featuring the Steeda Shelby GT350/R Mustang Bumpsteer Kit 555-8134

What is bumpsteer? In short, bumpsteer is an unintended change in steering direction caused by variations in front suspension ride height. In simple terms, your car goes left or right upon impacting potholes, body roll or pumping the brakes hard. This can also be transferred to the steering wheel, jerking it out of the driver's grip in extreme cases.

Sponsored

Booboo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2020 PB GT350
So does bump steer = tramlining and will these get rid of it even at the stock gt350 ride height?

Thanks

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So does bump steer = tramlining and will these get rid of it even at the stock gt350 ride height?

Thanks
No and no.

Two different things. Tramlining is a general term for when the car seems to either follow the ruts in the road - it's the feeling that you are seeing with the 350. You'll notice that it happens with pretty much zero suspension movement. It can be caused by a range of things from worn suspension to tire design/selection. Very wide tires are also usually very square at the edges (think an L for the shape of the tire). This outside, grippy part of the tire has quite a bit of leverage on the steering and when it rolls over uneven pavement, it can really pull on that axis...especially when a portion of the rest of the tire is getting somewhat less contact with the road. This can occur on the inside and outside of the tires and is typically more noticeable as the tire compound gets more sticky. I'm not even getting close to all of the things that can influence it. Things you can try to reduce tramlining...add a couple pounds of air, change to a different tire compound (if you have Cup2s now, those are the worst!) and alignment issues can influence it as well - don't assume it's correct from the factory.

Bumpsteer - I'd suggest Youtube for this one as there are great videos on this. The way I describe it is - it's changes in your desired alignment as the suspension travels up and down. There's more to it but consider your toe setting - If you're mid-turn and changes in the surface cause the suspension to move up or down, your toe angle can (and will in most cases) change...causing the car to change the steering direction without any input from you. In most modern cars and especially performance cars, the manufacturer is usually designing them so that, within its expected suspension travel, minimal bumpsteer should occur. IME, the 350 is pretty good like this. It's when you start changing other things, mainly ride height, that bumpsteer usually needs to be looked at. As a kid, I was guilty of this sin a LOT. Lowered car, added wider tires, presto, car is really squirmy and darty when loaded in a turn.

This isn't a bolt it on and go solution, it must be measured. I'd suggest either learning to use the tools yourself or finding a quality race shop that sets up cars regularly, not your local pep boys. Unless you've lowered your car or done anything else to change the ride height or suspension geometry, you might not see any benefit from a bumpsteer kit.

Booboo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robin
Vehicle(s)
2020 PB GT350
Appreciate that explanation it really did clear things up. I actually do remember tramlining without any suspension travel whatsoever(slow lanes changes) so they must be different things. I just picked it up with 3.8 miles and drove it home 700 miles (i'll do an intro post after i detail it) and omg it was an amazing experience but wow the tramlining caught me a bit off guard even though I was of course expecting it from reading these boards over the years. Hmmm maybe I'll store/replace the cup2s asap with ps4s since i wont be hitting the track til after track attack in 2021. But since i'm getting new tires might as well get new rims, square set up ahhhh!! #herewego

Thanks again for the clear up!

OP
OP
tj@steeda

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition