Steeda's Bullitt Mustang Dyno Test & Tune

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Bullitt, 2017 Shelby GT350
I plan to. Once I find out how good the tune actually is.
Tuning by James did the Steeda Tune. I put it my BULLITT and am very pleased! It HAULS!! Steeda is a great bunch of folks and they stand behind their products!!
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Tuning by James did the Steeda Tune. I put it my BULLITT and am very pleased! It HAULS!! Steeda is a great bunch of folks and they stand behind their products!!
And every dyno we've seen is a custom tune for the car. We haven't seen any of the canned tune.

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
And every dyno we've seen is a custom tune for the car. We haven't seen any of the canned tune.
2 different Bullitts -2 different dynos! Call James and he will square you away!

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
2 different Bullitts -2 different dynos! Call James and he will square you away!
1 was at Steeda or the tuners shop with the tuner and their dyno. The other was remotely tuned, not a canned tune.

This isnt complicated. I dont get how you dont understand.

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
1 was at Steeda or the tuners shop with the tuner and their dyno. The other was remotely tuned, not a canned tune.

This isnt complicated. I dont get how you dont understand.
Got it dude - The college education kicked in! Do what you want man! Call James he is great to talk to and a wealth of information!

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
Why isn't someone posting the damn dyno charts - before and after? it's arithmetic, not golly gee the tune is great. Post the chart (raw data and corrected), not a Youtube video link or a phone number.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
For us poor bastards in California, will/when FP or Steeda or ANYBODY do a tune that is CARB legal?

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I ordered the Steeda X4 and tune. Emailed them the strategy code. I hope to help folks not real familiar with "canned" tunes understand a couple of things.
Ford does not custom tune every Bullitt, GT350, GT or any car. The computers have pre-set instructions and that controls the cars. The variance is very,very slight car to car. So, no need. When Steeda, Bama, Lund, PBD, Brenspeed, etc write a tune, they write it for the car or cars in the shop with stock parts or specific aftermarket parts and then they email these "canned" tunes.
I have owned 5 Mustang GTs/Bullitt and have ordered multiple "canned" tunes. There are differences. Not too much, but a bit.
I have put superchargers on my Mustangs and ordered "canned" tunes. In one case, when I installed a HO Vortech kit (Bullitt) I got the "canned" tune from Brenspeed. I was so concerned about spark knock that I drove it the 400+ miles to have Brent do a dyno tune. He said "don't waste your time, it's spot on". Well I had him do a "custom" tune. And he said, I hate to tell you that I did not change a thing. It was spot on.
"Canned" tunes usually keep a tiny bit of performance back because the company writing the tune wants a bit of safety in it. If you get a "custom" tune, they will still keep some performance back so the car doesn't blow up like my "custom" tuned 2015 by LMS.

I've said this before, that if the throttle response is quick, the car may not get the mileage that Ford needs to avoid a gas guzzler tax. I want the extra response, torque and HP. I have driven enough Mustangs modded/stock to immediately know the difference. It was very apparent in the Bullitt when I put 93 in after driving it with 87.

For those of us that "get it", we're happy. I look forward to the Steeda tune and will report my experience. I will say the Bullitt produces more torque low end than I thought it would. I drove my '15 sc'd GT today and immediately noticed the gearing change. The Bullitt has some gear to climb because of the way Ford set up the '18s and up. I'm getting used to it and approve!

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Why isn't someone posting the damn dyno charts - before and after? it's arithmetic, not golly gee the tune is great. Post the chart (raw data and corrected), not a Youtube video link or a phone number.
I ordered the Steeda X4 and tune. Emailed them the strategy code. I hope to help folks not real familiar with "canned" tunes understand a couple of things.
Ford does not custom tune every Bullitt, GT350, GT or any car. The computers have pre-set instructions and that controls the cars. The variance is very,very slight car to car. So, no need. When Steeda, Bama, Lund, PBD, Brenspeed, etc write a tune, they write it for the car or cars in the shop with stock parts or specific aftermarket parts and then they email these "canned" tunes.
I have owned 5 Mustang GTs/Bullitt and have ordered multiple "canned" tunes. There are differences. Not too much, but a bit.
I have put superchargers on my Mustangs and ordered "canned" tunes. In one case, when I installed a HO Vortech kit (Bullitt) I got the "canned" tune from Brenspeed. I was so concerned about spark knock that I drove it the 400+ miles to have Brent do a dyno tune. He said "don't waste your time, it's spot on". Well I had him do a "custom" tune. And he said, I hate to tell you that I did not change a thing. It was spot on.
"Canned" tunes usually keep a tiny bit of performance back because the company writing the tune wants a bit of safety in it. If you get a "custom" tune, they will still keep some performance back so the car doesn't blow up like my "custom" tuned 2015 by LMS.

I've said this before, that if the throttle response is quick, the car may not get the mileage that Ford needs to avoid a gas guzzler tax. I want the extra response, torque and HP. I have driven enough Mustangs modded/stock to immediately know the difference. It was very apparent in the Bullitt when I put 93 in after driving it with 87.

For those of us that "get it", we're happy. I look forward to the Steeda tune and will report my experience. I will say the Bullitt produces more torque low end than I thought it would. I drove my '15 sc'd GT today and immediately noticed the gearing change. The Bullitt has some gear to climb because of the way Ford set up the '18s and up. I'm getting used to it and approve!

I garantee a tune they sell you for mods is not identical to a "canned tune" you bougth a tune for your mods, THey are not just grabing "x file that is sitting on the shelf" they are tweaking that tune before it is sent based on what you told them about your car. I've DONE SCT tuning. I've very familir with how tunes work. Based on your logic there was 0 reason for my "canned" Lund tune fo rmy modified Mach1 to be over rich, low on timing, and dyno at stock power levels, becasue ther are tons of mach1's out there with just intake, catback and midpipe. Guess what, the tune was still wrong and I made another 25whp and 40tq by having him do it on a dyno.

You can explain it away all you want but a tune made for 1 car does NOT work identical on all cars. What helps is that cars now have built in widebands and better knock sensors to help so they mostly just have to set targets to hit and let teh sensors do more work. Are they better now than 2007? Yeah. But that doesnt necessarily make them worth the savings over a proper dyno tune. If I can pay a bit more, hit a dyno and know for 100% that my timing, A/F and other trims are all perfectly safe and optymyze you bet I'm going to when the alternative is engine issues.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
If Lund had a car in their posession with exactly your modifications/specs and they tuned it, then sent the tune to you it likely would be very similar to them doing a dyno tune on the rollers, because they did it already albeit with another car. Today's engines must be nearly identical to make sure they pass emissions and mpg. If your car is highly modified and dissimilar to other cars no canned tune would be close because of the great variance that a tuner cannot estimate in a tune. A datalogged tune would be the minimum.

What I have seen is folks who insist on a dyno tune want to "squeeze" the most power possible out of the car. That means advancing the cams, timing, fuel, etc to the max hoping the car never sees bad tank of gas. And, the tuner is incentivized to take it to the limit to justify the cost of a custom dyno tune vs their canned tune.

That's not for me. I am happy with increased throttle response more low end torque and a bit more HP. I had my share of high hp cars and will be happy with minor stuff today. I think that's where most bullittheads are. That's what makes this country great. Each to his own.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
If Lund had a car in their posession with exactly your modifications/specs and they tuned it, then sent the tune to you it likely would be very similar to them doing a dyno tune on the rollers, because they did it already albeit with another car. Today's engines must be nearly identical to make sure they pass emissions and mpg. If your car is highly modified and dissimilar to other cars no canned tune would be close because of the great variance that a tuner cannot estimate in a tune. A datalogged tune would be the minimum.

What I have seen is folks who insist on a dyno tune want to "squeeze" the most power possible out of the car. That means advancing the cams, timing, fuel, etc to the max hoping the car never sees bad tank of gas. And, the tuner is incentivized to take it to the limit to justify the cost of a custom dyno tune vs their canned tune.

That's not for me. I am happy with increased throttle response more low end torque and a bit more HP. I had my share of high hp cars and will be happy with minor stuff today. I think that's where most bullittheads are. That's what makes this country great. Each to his own.
Actually they did have a tune for the same mods, that was what they sent me. I personally dont care what is "for you" I want o know what to actually expect A/F, knock sensor readings and power curve to look like on the ACTUAL canned tune. Not the tweaked/custom numbers we've seen. NO ONE has actually posted the canned tunes numbers. Till I see what that looks like, its not going anyplace near my car.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I received a msg from TJ. The tune Steeda sends is the tune in the video. I am looking forward to it.

I believe Ford did not tune the car as in the video, as they could have, because of CAFE, not engine concerns. I imagine producing torque lower down will definitely effect MPG. The gas guzzler tax kicks in if the combined MPG is less than 22.1 MPG. That's why the Shelby GT350 has a gas guzzler tax.

In fact, a lot of cars would scream if they did not have to pay this tax.

But, I didn't buy my Bullitt for that. In fact, if Ford did not care about the GGT, I wonder how it would have performed out of the box? Maybe better than the GT350? Or as good?

The EPA is out of control and we have to live with it until we tune our cars. But you guys in CA are out of luck.:crying:
Sponsored