Steeda's Bullitt Mustang Dyno Test & Tune

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Funny you brought that up because I have not had it back up to anywhere near that speed since , no where here to do that, but it just stopped pulling right at 7000. I have been reading that it might be a break in routine that ford put in the ECU? I was right around 900 miles on the car when I done that pull and did not hit 163, was 157!
OK, we officially have a mystery.. It's not something one can easily go out and test. I guess we need more dyno testing, specifically with this in mind......
Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
So

So once again, those of us in California are F'd in the B....3 more years to retirement and I'm outa here.
Excuse my ignorance but, CARB notwithstanding, wouldn't a tune void your warranty? Ford's engineers aren't idiots--we all seem to love the powerplant they've built for us--so I'm guessing they have a means to detect that their engine mapping has been altered (checksums, etc.). There's likely some nonvolatile storage even the tuners can't touch, which could log changes. I presume Ford's engineers build a margin of error into the stock tunes, so is squeezing a few more HP that you can't really use in daily driving worth it?

Note I'm not criticizing--it's your machine, do what you want with it--but I'm 65 and this will likely be the last DD I buy, and I want it to last. At least Ford isn't mandating a 112 MPH speed limit (yet).

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Excuse my ignorance but, CARB notwithstanding, wouldn't a tune void your warranty? Ford's engineers aren't idiots--we all seem to love the powerplant they've built for us--so I'm guessing they have a means to detect that their engine mapping has been altered (checksums, etc.). There's likely some nonvolatile storage even the tuners can't touch, which could log changes. I presume Ford's engineers build a margin of error into the stock tunes, so is squeezing a few more HP that you can't really use in daily driving worth it?

Note I'm not criticizing--it's your machine, do what you want with it--but I'm 65 and this will likely be the last DD I buy, and I want it to last. At least Ford isn't mandating a 112 MPH speed limit (yet).
Hopefully Ford Performance will release a tune.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Hopefully Ford Performance will release a tune.
If they do, I'll bet it's a 93-octane-only tune. 93-octane is all but unavailable in California; I've traveled all over the state and don't recall seeing it for years, if at all. The only way I can get 93-octane is to tank up with 91, run off about a quarter tank, and top off with 100-octane (at $7.99/gal!). I've done this a few times, and really can't feel--or make use of often--the 'extra' 5HP.

Now, if the manufacturers get their way, and 93 becomes the new 'premium' that changes everything.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Installed their tune on my 2012 GTCS. It was a 91-93 tune.

Sponsored

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
The car was a 6 speed, 3.73s, GT500 over axles, GT 500 muffs, and the Ford Performance tune. It was never on a dyno, but seat of the pants feel said it tied with a buddy's 2013 Boss 302 and was noticeably faster than another's 2015 GT, PP1 car. Both owners agreed. The Ford tune was nice. Drove it from PA to CA and back (Route 66 trip) and averaged almost 23 mpg. If they offer a tune for the 2019 Bullitt, I will probably get it.

7thlighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase

Yes, i get your point. To some, squeezing out a few more horsepower isnt worth it, but to some, it is. I spoke with my Ford service department and they said they still are required to do their due diligence. They dont just void the whole warranty because the car has been tuned. They must show the tune caused the problem, then they may not cover that part. If my axle brakes, and it is designed to withstand 700 horsepower, then a tune that unlocked 50 more horsepower obviously wasnt the cause. If my LCD dash goes out, im sure theyll fix it. Ive heard some dealers are tune friendly and some are not. Check your dealership service department and go from there.

Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Yes, i get your point. To some, squeezing out a few more horsepower isnt worth it, but to some, it is. I spoke with my Ford service department and they said they still are required to do their due diligence. They dont just void the whole warranty because the car has been tuned. They must show the tune caused the problem, then they may not cover that part. If my axle brakes, and it is designed to withstand 700 horsepower, then a tune that unlocked 50 more horsepower obviously wasnt the cause. If my LCD dash goes out, im sure theyll fix it. Ive heard some dealers are tune friendly and some are not. Check your dealership service department and go from there.
I'm more concerned about emissions compliance implications (I live in California). If Ford Performance issues a tune, and it's CARB--i.e. 50-state--compliant I would seriously consider it as I don't think a few more HP and torque would stress anything too much and, well, what the hell.

Note I joined the Ford 'Big Data Community' data-gathering effort--for which I was excoriated by the Black Helicopter contingent--so it would be really interesting to see how Ford would respond to my Bullitt getting goosed. Also, my late father was a factory rep for Ford for a couple years, and I know how stressed he got by trying to please both customer and dealer.

7thlighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
I'm more concerned about emissions compliance implications (I live in California). If Ford Performance issues a tune, and it's CARB--i.e. 50-state--compliant I would seriously consider it as I don't think a few more HP and torque would stress anything too much and, well, what the hell.

Note I joined the Ford 'Big Data Community' data-gathering effort--for which I was excoriated by the Black Helicopter contingent--so it would be really interesting to see how Ford would respond to my Bullitt getting goosed. Also, my late father was a factory rep for Ford for a couple years, and I know how stressed he got by trying to please both customer and dealer.
That was actually my original point. Steeda sells the tune, but wont ship to California...Here's to somebody satisfying CARB and letting us add a little goose without bolting on a supercharger...

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
I think this means we have a 500+hp car out of the box! In other words 100hp per litre! That is very impressive......
You getting the tune Brett??.. ooops, isn’t that a MOD ?? Lol, who cares..I’m getting it!!