Sponsored

Steeda's Bullitt Mustang Dyno Test & Tune

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang - Dark Highland Green
Go on Facebook - Tuning by James or the Web! He is in Florida. Tell him I sent you!
Thanks Tom! Can you clarify which FB page? Is James a Steeda employee for example or is he an independent tuner? If the latter, do you know his full name so I can search for him on FB?
Sponsored

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tom -- Just did a quick Google search. Is it Tuning by James LLC?

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like the same gentleman who did the baseline pull on a 2019 Bullitt a while back and the video was a Steeda video so maybe they've contracted with James to develop the Steeda tune? I would also love clarification on this though. Here's the video I mentioned and it does lead off with James introducing himself to the viewer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozB3ZJJ31mE

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I didn't read Gale Banks' story about this. However, I'm inclined to disagree. The more power an engine makes, the harder it twists on the metal and gearing and other drivetrain bits. Thus, the amount of friction goes up with higher power, thus, it has to be a % loss.
While I agree academically on % being used as a more appropriate operator to calculate crank-to-wheel drivetrain loss, said percentage would have to be developed scientifically by averaging a large sample of the same vehicle's actual crank HP (not just claimed crank hp) vs. actual wheel HP on equally calibrated and well-maintained machines to be as trustworthy as you're implying it is. What we do have is a community of observation of claimed crank HP vs. measured wheel HP across numerous dynomometers calibrated differently and sometimes improperly that informs a rough estimate of manual and automatic drivetrain loss for our vehicles.

Point being, percent or hard number, the drivetrain loss estimate is just that, an estimate. Don't really need to have a nerd war over it.

Tom -- Just did a quick Google search. Is it Tuning by James LLC?
I believe James of "Tuning by James" has tuned the Steeda #20 race car and I've seen him tuning the Steeda "Silver Bullet" 2018 NA drag car after a Steeda event in Valdosta at South Georgia Motorsports Park. He has also done a custom road tune for my car, too, with specific work done to throttle application to my liking and to ensure it's as safe as possible when the engine is very hot. I believe James used to be leadership with SCT and is responsible for training a number of tuners across the country. He's more-or-less an independent contractor with Steeda, by his choice, and as far as I know, is responsible for the base email tunes (or at least used to be). The tune James developed for 93-octane NA (no headers) on my car was f'ing perfect. I have yet to refine my 93-octane NA (with headers) but it's presently excellent. I do believe Steeda does some tuning work with Lund on the '18 drag car, too.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Check out this video of another Bullitt on the same Dyno 445 rwh, and 38f rwt…

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
It looks like the same gentleman who did the baseline pull on a 2019 Bullitt a while back and the video was a Steeda video so maybe they've contracted with James to develop the Steeda tune? I would also love clarification on this though. Here's the video I mentioned and it does lead off with James introducing himself to the viewer:

That's correct. I spoke to him some time ago and he mentioned to me he could tune my Bullitt but I would need to read back the engine strategies from the tuner (engine codes) to get the correct tune for my car. I spoke to Steeda on Friday and there are about to release a tune for the Buliitts very soon. I guess since they have completed one of the McQueen cars means its ready for the masses. Stay tuned...

you can reach him here...210 Performance (210) 437-0822 210performance.com

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Again, stopped at 7,000 instead of taking to 7,400. You can even see on the graph that the power line is still climbing. Looks likely about 450 at redline....

Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Anyone with a half a brain can tell you ford underrated this engine. Because if the gen 2 engine with the power pack 3 is making 478hp sae and Ford is telling us that with all the enhancements of the gen 3 engine which is literally a production variant of what they did with the gt350, and after all of that they got another 2hp, then i want what they’re smoking

I was told personally by the Flat Rock rep that they were getting over 500hp all day long and didn’t want to interfere with any potential gt350 sales so they lowered the official hp rating. This along made me go wow maybe if you updated the gt350 instead of letting it sit around like the Taurus ya wouldn’t have to do that. But wtf do i know ford is being ran by idiots

Fishhook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Maybe that's some sort of unspoken, forbidden thing!!.. Do not take it to 7400RPM!
On the stock tune that is all it will pull in 4th gear because of the speed limiter. Found out in Mexico first hand!

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Bullitt, 2017 Shelby GT350

Yep! That’s him!!