Sponsored

Steeda Sport Progressives or Competition Dual Rate Springs?

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I've got a 2019 GT Premium Auto PP1 coming in about a month. I wanted to order it with magneride, but didn't want to wait the indefinite extra time for the magnerides. Instead I'm going to upgrade the suspension myself. After reading a lot on this forum. I'm going back and forth between two different configurations.

1. Steeda Sport Progressives and adj pro-action shocks and struts
2. Steeda Competition dual rate and adj pro-action shocks and struts

The car will be a fair weather daily driver with spirited driving and a few track days and autocross events per year. Ride comfort will only be a major issue when I go on road trips with my wife, so I want something that I will be able to dial back a little for those times, or basically will be comfortable enough for road trips.

Concerns:
1. This doesn't have to be a track car, but I know how my brain works. I'm worried that if I don't go aggressive enough I'll second guess myself.
2. I'm also worried that the ride will be so harsh that the configuration won't allow me to dial it back enough.
3. I'm worried that the sport progressives and adj shocks and strut combo will not be a huge change from the stock PP1 setup.
4. If I go with the sport progressives, do I need to get the adj pro-action. Could I just go with the non-adj pro action shocks and struts?

Eventually I plan on getting new wheels and tires (285/35/19 squared), but I don't plan on doing that until I wear out the stock set of Michelin 4Ss.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks all.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What about the Sport Linears or something in between the two?

The daily ride with the DRs isnt too bad (with the shocks turned down near full-soft), but they really only come alive on a racetrack or autox setting. On the street they’re not exactly ideal. The DRs are made to go really hard and really fast and if you dont do that often..

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Those DRs are track spring rates IMO. There is always a compromise with suspension. You can't get the best ride quality and the best handling. There's always at least a compromise. Those that do have the DR springs claim it rides acceptably though.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Dan - private message headed your way!

TJ

OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
What about the Sport Linears or something in between the two?

The daily ride with the DRs isnt too bad (with the shocks turned down near full-soft), but they really only come alive on a racetrack or autox setting. On the street they’re not exactly ideal. The DRs are made to go really hard and really fast and if you dont do that often..
Ok, I looked at the spring rates table and maybe the sport linears are the way to go.

GTPP Front/Rear 165/728
Steeda Sport Linear Front/Rear 200/800

Is that spring rate difference, plus the 1" drop front and back enough to be noticeable?

Is it worth getting the adjustable dampers vs the non adjustable? With these springs, what would be the perceived difference as you adjusted the dampers?

Thanks

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Ok, I looked at the spring rates table and maybe the sport linears are the way to go.

GTPP Front/Rear 165/728
Steeda Sport Linear Front/Rear 200/800

Is that spring rate difference, plus the 1" drop front and back enough to be noticeable?

Is it worth getting the adjustable dampers vs the non adjustable? With these springs, what would be the perceived difference as you adjusted the dampers?

Thanks
Yes,the spring rate and drop are noticeable. Both dampers work great with this setup! I like the adjustables for tuning ability and ride quality.
This set up is very fast on track as well.

Steeda Tech

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
From a feel point of view, the difference between soft and stiff settings on adjustable dampers is pretty remarkable.

On the stiff settings, its like you're on much stiffer springs (that's not quite it, but it may give you some idea). Bumps hit harder, but the body is much more controlled and composed for sudden high speed changes in direction, like lane changes at 80-90 mph and that sort of thing, where soft shocks would feel like a wallowing pig. Initial body roll is reduced as you steer into things, and weight transfers more quickly.

Dial things back to the softer settings and the car returns to a more comfortable ride over harsher bumps at lower speeds. You can have your cake and eat it too, you just need to spend 5 minutes with a jack changing settings before you head out.

OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
From a feel point of view, the difference between soft and stiff settings on adjustable dampers is pretty remarkable.

On the stiff settings, its like you're on much stiffer springs (that's not quite it, but it may give you some idea). Bumps hit harder, but the body is much more controlled and composed for sudden high speed changes in direction, like lane changes at 80-90 mph and that sort of thing, where soft shocks would feel like a wallowing pig. Initial body roll is reduced as you steer into things, and weight transfers more quickly.

Dial things back to the softer settings and the car returns to a more comfortable ride over harsher bumps at lower speeds. You can have your cake and eat it too, you just need to spend 5 minutes with a jack changing settings before you head out.
Thanks, that is the feedback I was looking for.

Next question: I'm not going to attempt to install the springs and dampeners myself. What is a reasonable cost to do the work? Ballpark estimate is fine. Would you trust a dealership to do it, or go to a performance shop, or something else?

I live in the Denver Colorado area.

Thanks

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
What Nightmare said . . . and I'll add that even single-adjustables (like the Koni yellows) have a wide enough range of adjustment to support at least three general settings that you'd clearly feel the differences between. Track/the really serious stuff, street with firmer control, street where greater comfort is required, might take about half turns between adjacent settings (where the difference a quarter turn makes is more than enough to notice)

Norm

OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Ok. Thanks for all the feedback

So now I'm thinking:

Steeda Sport Linear Springs
Steeda adj Pro-Action dampeners

Do I need to get new shock mounts or camber plates at this point with this setup?

I do plan on someday going with a 285/35/19 squared setup someday, but I want to wear out the stock MP4S tires first.

Thanks

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Camber plates are only really needed if you're trying to dial additional camber beyond stock to achieve tire wear goals when tracking the car or autocrossing. The natural camber gain from lowering on the car should be pretty reasonable for primarily street use. I'm on 3/4" lowering springs and I dialed significantly more via camber plates, so I figure the stock strut towers won't be excessively cambered w/o plates.

You don't need the rear shock mounts, but they're a nice part and seem to slightly reduce some of the jounce in the rear suspension when you hit bumps. Its not a huge deal tho. The rear shocks are really really easy to mess with yourself and pulling them to add the rear upper mounts won't affect alignment, so you can always add them later if you choose.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Camber plates can also allow you to run more aggressive camber and toe at the track than you'd want to live with on the street, with both being able to be dialed back to a more street-friendly set without touching the tierods. You just need to mark or index the strut shaft in a manner that makes for easy repeatability.

Norm

OP
OP
Dano

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
In another thread this was said:

Hi Robert, since you are mostly daily driving the car and looking to upgrade to a more direct feel without losing any bit of ride quality and adding any NVH, I recommend the following parts.

Steeda sport progressive springs
Steeda non-adjustable pro-action shocks and struts, if you comfortable adjusting rebound for those select track days you may also go with the adjustable pro-actions.
Steeda Shock mounts correctly paired with the shocks you choose
Steeda stop the hop started pack to give you that direct feel and fill the void in bushings
Steeda adjustable sway bars will help control body roll and stiffen up the car

That sir is the secret sauce!!
How about that setup with the linear sport springs, and the adjustable pro-actions? With the PP1 car do I need the adjustable sway bars?

Thanks

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Ok. Thanks for all the feedback

So now I'm thinking:

Steeda Sport Linear Springs
Steeda adj Pro-Action dampeners

Do I need to get new shock mounts or camber plates at this point with this setup?

I do plan on someday going with a 285/35/19 squared setup someday, but I want to wear out the stock MP4S tires first.

Thanks
If your camber exceeds 1.7 degrees negative after the install of the springs, than i would recommend camber plates.
This is referring to street applications.
The Steeda billet rear shock mounts are a great option for improved ride quality , but not necessary.

Steeda Tech

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
In another thread this was said:

How about that setup with the linear sport springs, and the adjustable pro-actions? With the PP1 car do I need the adjustable sway bars?
Since it appears that you're going to do springs and dampers first, I'll say "not right away". Drive it with the new springs and dampers and see if you still want to tweak the handling. In the case where you feel that you're not quite 'there' yet, what you really want is for at least one of the bars to be adjustable so you can fine-tune the balance to what suits you best. Which might not be the same as what suits anybody else as well.

Basically, let the car's new behavior tell you what you need to do to get it where you want it, rather than try to guess quite yet.

Norm
Sponsored