Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
With the #S550 Mustang, we have focused on ease of access, especially when showcasing upgrades and performance parts. That is why the Hood Strut kit is a must-have for Enthusiasts and performance drivers. The Steeda Hood Strut kit helps hold your hood open by replacing the factory hood prop, aiding in cooling as well as making it easier to work under the hood in the garage or at the track without anything in the way!

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-0687-s550-hood-strut-kit
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
One year after having installed them, my Steeda hood struts still work perfectly, but here's how the mounting brackets look: :frown:

IMG_0058.jpg

OP
OP
tj@steeda

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One year after having installed them, my Steeda hood struts still work perfectly, but here's how the mounting brackets look: :frown:

IMG_0058.jpg
Please see me your contact info - that is not typical for the brackets.

thank you.
TJ

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks, TJ. I'm in Europe, so I guess it's Steeda EU I should contact. I will.
The strange thing is that the lower brackets, which I guess are made from the same material, are perfectly fine. It's only the upper ones that have rusted. The only thing that's different is that for the lower brackets I used the rubber pads which were included in the package to protect the paint. But the pads for the upper brackets were missing from the package, so I used a piece of foam I happened to have at hand. But I don't think that's what's causing the problem. I don't really see how that foam could cause the bracket to rust.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
The strange thing is that the lower brackets, which I guess are made from the same material, are perfectly fine. It's only the upper ones that have rusted. The only thing that's different is that for the lower brackets I used the rubber pads which were included in the package to protect the paint. But the pads for the upper brackets were missing from the package, so I used a piece of foam I happened to have at hand. But I don't think that's what's causing the problem. I don't really see how that foam could cause the bracket to rust.
Maybe the foam holds water?

Sponsored

OP
OP
tj@steeda

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes - please work through Robbie and we'll get this taken care of for you.
TJ

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Maybe the foam holds water?
I've tought of that, but I'm not so sure about it. How much water could it hold? It's just a thin piece, I can't imagine that it could hold so much water. Besides, the brackets have rusted even on the side that has no contact with the foam.
Yes - please work through Robbie and we'll get this taken care of for you.
Thanks. I will.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is galvanic corrosion involved ?

Large ally hood / small steel bracket (exposed with poor protection) / your salted road environment ?

WD :like:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No, the environment isn't salty. I live 150 miles away from the seaside as the crow flies. And over here they don't spray table salt on the roads in winter, but calcium chloride, which soils the cars like hell but isn't corrosive. And whenever I drive in the wet in winter I always wash the car immediately after that.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Calcium Chloride is a form of salt, it’s corrosive to steel and aluminium and it will act as an electrolyte … ? :frown:

WD :like:

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sure, chemically it's a salt, but it's much less corrosive than sodium chloride, if at all.
Besides, I don't think that salt from the road can get to the hood strut brackets. There's no way it can get in there. Why would it get to the upper brackets but nowhere else, not even on the lower brackets?

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I've tought of that, but I'm not so sure about it. How much water could it hold? It's just a thin piece, I can't imagine that it could hold so much water. Besides, the brackets have rusted even on the side that has no contact with the foam.

Thanks. I will.
The foam holds water,moisture and gravity takes over and it drips down to the side you photo's.
G.m. and dodge merc, and others found out the hard way in the late 90's early 2000's when they used expanding foam in rockers and U rails in the unit bodies. to lower road noise, only to cause big time rot issues.
I would have thought the brackets would be power coated, those don't even look like they got paint, That looks like the Electro static e-primer many parts come coated in.
Question though, is that upper bracket only connected to the hood with one nut/stud?
Sponsored