Sponsored

Steeda S550 Mustang Front Roll Center & Bumpsteer Correction Kit (15-19 All)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
You really want zero toe on the front, that toe out is going to make it darty as hell at higher speeds. Should be no reason they can't get the camber even on the rear, there's adjusters for that. If you don't have camber plates in the front might consider camber bolts to dial that in. Front caster seems high also, but if you're lowered that may be why.
He has toe in front and rear (I've seen the alignment sheet). There's a bit too much front toe but not crazy either. I agree with others that closer to zero is better, but if it's not zero, keep it toe in for street use. 0.00-0.05 per side, preferably zero.
Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
He has toe in front and rear (I've seen the alignment sheet). There's a bit too much front toe but not crazy either. I agree with others that closer to zero is better, but if it's not zero, keep it toe in for street use. 0.00-0.05 per side, preferably zero.
Yeah that's better, I have a little toe out right now until I get another alignment, kinda fun but def. going back to zero when I do. And probably OE spec toe in on the rear, it's not much maybe 1/8" total.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a great article that our team published on Bumpsteer Basics:

https://www.steeda.com/mustang-bumpsteer-kit-benefits

No matter what Mustang enthusiast you ask, one of the first things they will tell you is they’ll want to lower their Mustang suspension. A common misconception is that when you add a set of lowering springs or coilovers you won’t need anything other than an alignment to complete the job. That is not always the case! Bumpsteer can come into effect when modifying your suspension due to the geometric suspension inconsistencies that weren’t intended from the manufacturer. And a bumpsteer kits is the perfect solution for this!

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
For those considering a bump steer kit, I would probably not do a bump steer kit without the roll center correction kit as well. Steeda sells them together, and I'd strongly recommend both be purchased and installed together.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda sells them together, and I'd strongly recommend both be purchased and installed together.
I didn't know better when I got the roll-center-correcting arms and got a tap on the shoulder from the fine people at Steeda after the fact asking why I hadn't bought both. I suggested they update their website to stress the importance of getting the combo - since it appears it's not just me who needs an education.

Sponsored

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
Suspension systems are complex. Many people think they are simple, and the only thing simple is their understanding. The geometry of all the components working together is what makes a car great or terrible and dangerous. I wish more people took the time to read up and understand how suspension systems work before they made any modifications to their own car. I'm not talking about consulting the idiots on Facebook, I'm talking actual books, free body diagrams and a refresher course in geometry. This takes time and patience, something in short supply today. The vast majority of car guys think it's as simple as just swapping out springs, and some vendors would lead you to believe that it really is that simple. Some drivers lack the experience or driving venue to know the difference between a good car and a great car, so they lower the car and think it's great, when in reality it probably handled as good or better stock.

Regardless of platform, lowering a car ALWAYS has consequences. I encourage owners to educate themselves before they make any purchases. Understand as fully as possible what you are doing, why you are doing it, and what the desired outcome is. Your experience in your car will be worth the time spent to learn. This web forum is a great resource, you just have to know who to listen to.

Ok rant off, getting off the soap box now LOL.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Suspension systems are complex. Many people think they are simple, and the only thing simple is their understanding. The geometry of all the components working together is what makes a car great or terrible and dangerous. I wish more people took the time to read up and understand how suspension systems work before they made any modifications to their own car. I'm not talking about consulting the idiots on Facebook, I'm talking actual books, free body diagrams and a refresher course in geometry. This takes time and patience, something in short supply today. The vast majority of car guys think it's as simple as just swapping out springs, and some vendors would lead you to believe that it really is that simple. Some drivers lack the experience or driving venue to know the difference between a good car and a great car, so they lower the car and think it's great, when in reality it probably handled as good or better stock.

Regardless of platform, lowering a car ALWAYS has consequences. I encourage owners to educate themselves before they make any purchases. Understand as fully as possible what you are doing, why you are doing it, and what the desired outcome is. Your experience in your car will be worth the time spent to learn. This web forum is a great resource, you just have to know who to listen to.

A lot of truth in this post and many would be wise to heed these words. Don't fall prey to good marketing. Not all vendors are out to help you as much as they are to make a sale.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I understand and generally agree with where MeanZ is going, but I'm going to add a caveat.

Understanding how suspensions work from an engineering perspective is only half the battle. Probably the easy half. Relating the numbers you get out of any engineering analysis to your actual driving is where it gets a bit tricky, and a statics-based approach alone isn't always enough.

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
maybe we can add some helpful links (not as good as a 200 page book sure, but there are good web pages out there) and create a sticky 'knowledge' thread ? And links to known good/approachable books on the subject matter?

the problem is 99.98% of car modders just want to slam their cars for the looks because "wheel gap". That's as far as their cognitive interest extends.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I understand and generally agree with where MeanZ is going, but I'm going to add a caveat.

Understanding how suspensions work from an engineering perspective is only half the battle. Probably the easy half. Relating the numbers you get out of any engineering analysis to your actual driving is where it gets a bit tricky, and a statics-based approach alone isn't always enough.

Norm
I'll add to that: being able to translate the feeling/reactions of the car to inputs back to what's happening from a vehicle kinematics perspective takes time and experience.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure these have been posted here before, but anyway these are pretty much required reading for most college FSAE teams, at least for the suspension/chassis guys.

51oXr3zqi5L._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1557880557/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

517LNu9RQFL._SX387_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0912656468/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0
Mine were Miliken's Race Car Vehicle Dynamics (RCVD) - aka the VD Bible, Tune to Win and Engineer to Win by Carroll Smith. We also had the software and classes from OptimumG.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yes! I had Tune to Win in mind just forgot what it was called. RCVD is basically a textbook, not sure anyone wants to pay $150 for that.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes! I had Tune to Win in mind just forgot what it was called. RCVD is basically a textbook, not sure anyone wants to pay $150 for that.
No, it's not as useful unless you're designing a new car (which we were, obviously).

pacomicro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT V8 6R80 Auto Vert pp 3.55
@SteedaTech
Well, I have Eibach Pro Kit springs, they lower 1" in the front and 0.8" in the rear so I think I could use this kit.
Last week I have put :
-
STEEDA S550 MUSTANG EXTREME G-TRAC BRACE
STEEDA S550 MUSTANG IRS BASE PACK
STEEDA S550 MUSTANG ADJUSTABLE REAR TOE LINKS
STEEDA S550 MUSTANG BILLET ALUMINUM VERTICAL LINKS

Steeda Chassis Jacking Rails Low-Profile Ultra Lite Pair Convertible 2015-2021
What would be the next step to further improve the suspension and handling on my Mustang?

I see very complicated how to align once the Bumpsteer Kit is mounted.

Do you have a document with the alignment dimensions already created to make it easier?
Sponsored