Sponsored

Steeda Intake - Just unlucky? Poor quality.

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Finally got my Steeda intake and tune applied. I must say I am not impressed at all @tj@steeda with the quality of the product. It is very poor.

So my first, shall we say "annoyance" was that the tune took 2 weeks to arrive after I submitted the form. Not the end of the world, but when the PDF says 3-5 days it's slightly annoying that it took so long. I had to chase you guys in the end for an update. Really, if there is a delay like that, Steeda should be in touch with the customer to keep them updated.

However my main gripe came when assembling the kit. The velocity stack fitment - the 3 holes just did not align. Not even close. I had to enlarge all 3 holes to allow it to match up. The main hole for the velocity stack is also poorly cut, I could have done a better job by hand.

Velocity_Stack.jpg

The pièce de résistance - the MAF sensor holes on the intake pipe... which, were not threaded properly to accept the 2x small 4mm screws. When I first tried to scew them in I got 2-3 turns and then the screw would bind and start to screetch. Backed them out, and thankfully my dad had a die and tap set, so we tested the screws in the appropriate sized die and it threaded in fine. So went back to the holes on the intake pipe and threaded them again with the correct tap. Voila. They then scewed in successfully.

Tap_Threads.jpg

I also ended up having to put a self tapper into the air scoop where it joined the bottom of the Steeda airbox. Why? Because it would not engage the small tab on the airbox. It constantly popped off. Now we could argue that is a 50/50 issue. A poor air scoop design by Ford, but, perhaps Steeda can come up with a better way of clamping this to your airbox? It was impossible to fit the kit having it attached to the airbox. I ended up fitting the air scoop first to the front of the car, then the airbox, and then forcing them together before tightening the screw.

Intake_Screw.jpg

This isn't exactly a cheap kit, yet I've had to re-size the velocity stack holes as they were out by a country mile. Had to tap the two blind holes again because they were not finished. And had to secure the air intake scoop to the Steeda airbox.

My other bugbear is the rubber seal. Why is this not fitted by default from the factory, and actually, the velocity stack should be pre-assembled too come to think of it. Why do I have to struggle to get it around impossible angles and bends. And will the thing stay on... will it hell. I ended up cutting it on the corners so that it wouldn't lift off. Oh, and again for the price, would it have killed you to cut the small length of tubing for the PCV hose with straight ends. It looks like it was cut with the worlds bluntest pair of scissors. You guys surely own a retractable snap-off knife.

The only saving grace is that the tune uploaded fine, and the car drives fine. No issues. But man alive, would I recommend this kit for the price. Definitely not. I've never had so much trouble getting a product to fit together.
Sponsored

Last edited:

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Well, I ordered the closed CAI, hope I have better luck than you. Did you contact steeda before having to do all this?

Richard

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Well, I ordered the closed CAI, hope I have better luck than you. Did you contact steeda before having to do all this?

Richard
The closed one does have issues stretching and breaking the clips on the air box but they have said that was addressed better with later versions. But the inability to run a flex tune with the setup due to design causing maf turbulence and idle variation is still a no go for some. If running straight e85 or just 91/93 thats a non issue though.

OEM 18 intake still the best overall with a drop in. Flows great, keeps iats down, but also maintains smooth maf.

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yea, I will not be trying to run a flex. Also it is on backorder for a few weeks

Richard

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Nodster,

As you can imagine - we manufacture a ton of products daily at our Steeda Manufacturing Facility in Valdosta, GA - made in the USA parts manufactured by the American worker.

We have many checks and balances in place to ensure quality control - unfortunately, this one passed our quality control team.

Who did you reach out to regarding your issue - did you reach out Steeda directly? If so, who did you speak with?

Let me look into this for you but at the end of the day - we manufacture our own products in house - we have 1000s of parts going out the door monthly and we strive to be perfect.

I can assure you - having over 30 of uninterrupted operations and being trusted by Ford & and other large brands does not happen by accident - it's because of our commitment to quality.

TJ

Sponsored

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
The closed intake is nice, except getting the filter housing back on to the stock base...seems impossible. Had to use a channel locker in place to fasten the clamps. It's an issue reported by many others.

OP
OP
Nodster

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hello Nodster,

As you can imagine - we manufacture a ton of products daily at our Steeda Manufacturing Facility in Valdosta, GA - made in the USA parts manufactured by the American worker.

We have many checks and balances in place to ensure quality control - unfortunately, this one passed our quality control team.

Who did you reach out to regarding your issue - did you reach out Steeda directly? If so, who did you speak with?

Let me look into this for you but at the end of the day - we manufacture our own products in house - we have 1000s of parts going out the door monthly and we strive to be perfect.

I can assure you - having over 30 of uninterrupted operations and being trusted by Ford & and other large brands does not happen by accident - it's because of our commitment to quality.

TJ
Hey TJ

I think this one defintely passed by the quality control team. Perhaps the intern worked on this one.

I didn't reach out to anyone. I was working on the car over the Sunday and these issues only came to light as the new kit was going in and the old intake was obviously all dissasembled at that stage and out of the car. Nothing flagged here was so bad that it couldn't be remediated, or made me think "no this shouldn't be fitted" if that makes sense, it was all resolvable.

I just wanted to highlight the pain I had though and yes, the sub-par quality for the price.

As I say, the kit works, the tune works and car drives well. I'm keen to get it on the dyno and see what numbers it makes! However the quality is worrying - it's not as if i'm local and can just call down sadly. I can't even, interestingly, find an office address for Steeda UK.

Don't worry I'm not fishing for a replacement.

Cheers.
James

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Nodster,

Steeda doesn't have interns reviewing their products, we have made a significant investment into the quality control of the products we manufacture for consumers - if you would like to become more familiar with Steeda's quality control measures - please see this for reference:

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-renews-iso-certification

I am sorry that we couldn't remedy this for you before you provide your feedback on the forum - Steeda U.K. is separate from Steeda U.S. - they are a separate operation. @ Robbie UK can assist with your questions or needs.

I can assure you - we take pride in the quality, fit & craftsmanship of every product we manufacture - if something isn't satisfactory, we are always a phone call, email, or private message away.

Thank you,

TJ

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hello Nodster,

Steeda doesn't have interns reviewing their products, we have made a significant investment into the quality control of the products we manufacture for consumers - if you would like to become more familiar with Steeda's quality control measures - please see this for reference:

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-renews-iso-certification

I am sorry that we couldn't remedy this for you before you provide your feedback on the forum - Steeda U.K. is separate from Steeda U.S. - they are a separate operation. @ Robbie UK can assist with your questions or needs.

I can assure you - we take pride in the quality, fit & craftsmanship of every product we manufacture - if something isn't satisfactory, we are always a phone call, email, or private message away.

Thank you,

TJ
Hey @tj@steeda - with the above statement about the US facilities - and the mention by the OP of being overseas (UK), I have some questions that maybe other members are wondering too.

Does the UK Steeda manufacture parts over there, or are they only a distribution site for the Steeda products made in the US, GA location and shipped to UK?

If a UK consumer buys a Steeda product, are they getting it through "@ Robbie UK" (what is his proper user ID on here)?

Would "@ Robbie UK" be the POC for UK consumer concerns, or do you suggest that overseas Steeda Consumers reach out to you (or the US phone number for Steeda)?

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey @tj@steeda - with the above statement about the US facilities - and the mention by the OP of being overseas (UK), I have some questions that maybe other members are wondering too.

Does the UK Steeda manufacture parts over there, or are they only a distribution site for the Steeda products made in the US, GA location and shipped to UK? They are a distributor of Steeda parts that are manufactured in the U.S. - Robbie U.K. is our exclusive distributor in the U.K.

If a UK consumer buys a Steeda product, are they getting it through "@ Robbie UK" (what is his proper user ID on here)? Yes, if a customer purchased a product & is shipping it to Europe, then you will be working with Robbie - It does not look like Robbie is on Mustang 6G - I just did a search, and he did support a time but I can no longer see his username. https://www.steeda.co.uk/ they can be contacted at

Email : [email protected]

Phone: 0330 0570550

Would "@ Robbie UK" be the POC for UK consumer concerns, or do you suggest that overseas Steeda Consumers reach out to you (or the US phone number for Steeda)?
The process would be that you go through Robbie to start the process - he would then reach out to Steeda U.S. to complete the process. I am here to support but you should start with your rep within Steeda U.K. ... we are all here to help so don't hesitate to reach out if I can assist with something.

TJ

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
HI we do not manufacture anything for Steeda in Europe, Steeda UK / Europe are the European arm of Steeda and is responsible for local developments and distribution etc. The Steeda factory and HQ / development centre are all based in the USA in Georgia and Florida.

For any issues if purchased from us directly, then we should be the first point of contact. If purchased from an official Steeda dealer, you should go via them.

To OP @Nodster sorry to hear about your issues and glad you got it all installed in the end....

OP
OP
Nodster

Nodster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I sit corrected - I could not locate Steeda UK in the "search user field" - thank you, Robbie.
Sponsored