Sponsored

Steeda install. Rear cradle mount might be stripped...

OP
OP
georgiarocker

georgiarocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Warrior S/C
Get a socket that fits the end of the Tap. Use an extension and get it started by hand then use a ratchet to run it the rest of the way in. Also not mentioned use a STARTER TAP. Would also help to dip the tap in oil before starting.
Starter tap? Sorry for the dumb question, but this will be my first time using a tap/die.
Sponsored

OP
OP
georgiarocker

georgiarocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Warrior S/C
+1 for running a tap. Purchased one after installing springs and stripping one of the bolts.
Do you happen to remember what size? I'll figure it out eventually, but thought I'd ask.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Don't cheap out on the tap either. Get a good quality one, the last thing you want is a shitty tap snapping off in the hole.

Sponsored

08StangGT_CS

Fight The Urge to Boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Race Red No Options
14x2.0

Steeda Tech

That. I also purchased new bolts off of Levington for a couple of bucks. I think shipping was more than the bolts and took a while but replaced when after I got the tap and bolts.

OP
OP
georgiarocker

georgiarocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Warrior S/C

Brent Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black Premium Mustang GT
I just installed the alignment kit today as well and just like yours, the drivers side was waaaaayyyy off. With the passenger and rear inserts and bolts installed, there's no way to even pry the drivers side over. I did have the bolt to try and start to cross thread on me but after using a 3/8" socket on the end of the 14mmx2.00 tap, I got it fixed. At this point how can the inserts ALIGN the cradle. Makes no sense to me after installing them. Hope you got yours ironed out.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I also have the alignment kit. I was able to use a pry bar to achieve alignment and get all 4 bolts started by hand. The drivers front did try to cross thread on me but I backed it out and was finally able to get it going by hand. I wonder if that one is a problem for some reason?

OP
OP
georgiarocker

georgiarocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Warrior S/C
UPDATE: Cradle installed. The tap set I purchased was great. It came with three taps (starter, intermediate, and plug) and I used them all. The new bolt went in like butter.

As for the final install, you guys are correct, the steeda inserts FORCE you to be lined up perfectly over the hole(s) which is a difficult thing to do.

The way I did it was... I installed 3 of the 4 bolts about 3/8" gap between the cradle and the body and saved the driver's-rear bolt until last. The hole was off center by about 1/4" to 3/8" or thereabouts. It took a LOT of prying pressure, but I held pressure while my wife ratcheted the bolt in.

Off to get an alignment now.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Anyone have a ford PN for the subframe bolts? I know they're not TTY but I may replace mine anyway because they've been out 2 or 3 times now.

OP
OP
georgiarocker

georgiarocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Warrior S/C
Anyone have a ford PN for the subframe bolts? I know they're not TTY but I may replace mine anyway because they've been out 2 or 3 times now.

W717827-S900.

ordered mine from oemfordpart.com and they came from a dealership a couple hours away. I thought I was ordering (1) bolt for $4.03, but got a set of four! So, I'm not sure if it's per set or per bolt.

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
my subframe was the same way. It was off on the front passenger side bolt. I ended up using a crank jack (that come with most ford cars, in this case was from an Edge) and positioned it an an angle so that I could move the subframe into place and have a free hand to fasten the bolt.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
This thread has me thinking. I installed the Steeda IRS cradle kit last year. Had the car aligned....everything is aces. I bought a cradle alignment kit since the I'll have the car on the lift. However after seeing what the OP went through I am wondering if I should hold off on installing the kit until the day comes that I am dropping the cradle again.

I am thinking since the car is in spec, could the alignment kit help? Thoughts? [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
This thread has me thinking. I installed the Steeda IRS cradle kit last year. Had the car aligned....everything is aces. I bought a cradle alignment kit since the I'll have the car on the lift. However after seeing what the OP went through I am wondering if I should hold off on installing the kit until the day comes that I am dropping the cradle again.

I am thinking since the car is in spec, could the alignment kit help? Thoughts? [MENTION=25806]SteedaTech[/MENTION]
The Steeda alignment kit centers the IRS subframe ,while keeping it from shifting under hard acceleration. Always, hand start all four bolts before securing or torquing to spec. In most cases, it is common to pry or shift the IRS subframe into place.

Steeda Tech
Sponsored