Sponsored

Steeda + CJ Pony Parts Review

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
A couple of months ago, I started looking into overhauling the suspension of my 2015 GT PP. Up to that point, I had put about 7000 miles on my Mustang which allowed me to get a good sense of the issues with the IRS and overall suspension in stock form. Specifically, I wanted to stiffen up the entire rear end and eliminate the dreaded wheel hop while keeping NVH as close to the stock levels as possible. I also decided to replace the stock PP springs and sway bars in order to improve the overall handing, reduce body roll/brake dive and get rid of the bouncy ride. After going through a ton of feedback on the various solutions from the aftermarket (a lot of which came from fellow mustang6g members), I decided to go with Steeda. Below are the parts I chose to go with.

• Differential Bushings (Red/Street)
  • Subframe Alignment Kit
  • Subframe Bushing Support
  • Vertical Links
  • Rear Toe Link
  • Subframe Suport Braces

• Linear Sport Springs
  • Front and Rear Sway Bars and Billet Sway Bar Mounts
  • Bumpsteer Kit

I already had the Extreme G-Trak Brace installed.

I reached out to Steve and Bill from CJ Pony Parts here on the forums regarding the parts. A couple of weeks later I placed an order and Bill invited me to their studio in Harrisburg, PA to get the parts installed as part of their installation videos for the 2015 Mustang. I had not done anything like this before, so I thought it would be kinda cool. I am sure that like myself, a lot of people here have watched one of their installation videos for reference when doing a DIY installation at home. These guys are true enthusiasts and absolute professionals. Regarding the quality of the installations...well, the videos speak for themselves. The entire CJ Pony Parts team is very knowledgable on all things Mustang. They were able to answer all my questions and help me decide on a couple of future mods, one of which is already in my hands waiting to be installed.

Oh...that 50/30 project is one very cool car!

Here are the videos of the installations.

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

Now to the most important part...the results. The handling of the car is on a whole different level after the suspension upgrades. Minimal pitch and roll during braking, turns and transitions. Overall, the entire car is very tight with much better turn in. As expected, the biggest improvement is the rear end. The power delivery through the IRS is fantastic. The wheel hop on my car is 100% eliminated. The rear tires feel as if they are glued to the ground. Coming out of corners, I am able to get on the throttle earlier and more aggressively without any drama. In terms of NVH, I hear some gear whine in 6th gear under minimal throttle between 75 and 80mph (windows closed/stereo off) as a result of the differential bushing inserts. Apart from that, I can't tell a difference compared to stock. Even the ride quality feels great. My fiancé couldn't tell that anything had been done to the car.:headbang: Overall, I am very happy with the results. Props to Steeda for the excellent work they have done. In the near future, I am looking forward to adding a quality set of performance shocks/struts and hitting the road course.:D

Here are a few pictures of my Mustang with the Steeda linear springs.

I already posted this in another thread, but once again, this is what wheel hop absence looks like.

In closing, I'd like to thank David at Steeda and Bill, Laman and Eric at CJ Pony Parts for all their time and help!:cheers:
Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Good write up. Kind of gives me a idea on where to start with my car. Are you going to there Customer appreciation day Aug. 8th.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Excellent story!

Glad you're enjoying your Steeda components! Top notch company, people and parts.

2wheels4me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GTPP, Much-Modded Fiat 500 Sport, 911 Carrera S
Congrats! Love my GTPP setup with the Steeda parts listed in my signature. Enormous handling and traction improvement; the vertical links and rear bushing support system were the last two things I did (after sways, springs and G-Trac) and those two really stabilized the back end and made the handling neutral front to rear. Great stuff.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Congrats and great write up! It's also nice to see all the install videos in 1 spot. :cheers:

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Thanks for posting such a detailed write-up! :)

Our friends over at CJ Pony Parts are a great group of guys and absolutely know their stuff.

It makes our day when we see a pic such as the one you uploaded showing absolutely zero wheel hop :clap2:

Enjoy! And we're only just getting started with the S550, much more to come!

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Very nice Grimace!

Any feedback since the Vikings were added?

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Install for everything was a breeze. We took some extra time checking the Viking install and upper mounts due to the other member who damaged his mounts. We didn't see any glaring issues there and the install went smoothly.

The Blowfish bracket install was very similar to the install I did on my own 2011. Blowfish Racing made some huge improvements to their shifter bracket compared to my original bracket that I installed about a year ago. The bracket components fit perfectly and the upgraded Street mounting method with rubber isolaters means the bracket works as designed in solidly mounting the shifter to the transmission without excessive vibration coming through to the driver.

I'll let Yassen post his thoughts on the results of the upgrade. Can't wait to drive the car myself, other than into/out of the shop!