Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
If the GTs were outside of what you were comfortable paying, do you mind sharing what you ended up getting the vette for?

[MENTION=22097]amfm144[/MENTION] you're one of the first people I've seen say that, any reason why?

Didn’t get it yet and can take my time because I can break my rule about not buying a used performance car. The Z06 was 116,000 CAD after discounts and the Stingray about 67,000. But you can get them way cheaper used from old farts that have cash. I should definitely have one when the mid-engine comes out. Real cheap then! The local Corvette club is where it’s at.
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
That part was towards pablotheartist, I know your story on em already! If you want a vacation, take a trip down to Florida like half of everyone else up there and stop by the Naples/Marco Island area to look for one. We don't get salt on the roads and over there is a bunch of rich old guys that will barely drive the car ever.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I was in the same position as you with my v6 and a good deal came up lol. After 2 months of owning the stingray I can definitely say it was worth every penny. I also considered a GT as well and couldn't justify purchasing one unless it was an 18 and even then the pricing on 18s weren't what I was comfortable with paying for one.
I love yellow on the Vettes! I think it's the best color! Something about it just looks awesome on the C7. Nice!

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
An interesting postscript to this saga. Anyone who has followed this from the start knows I wanted to see if I could trade in the V6 for a left over 2017 V8 and I knew this dealer had one. So last weekend I searched far and wide and couldn’t find the sucker. So imagine how pissed off I was to see the thing in the back lot with a “sold” sign on it!:mad: The thing just popped up out of nowhere like a jack-in-the-box! If I had found it I knew they were offering at least 8 grand off it to start and I could have been driving the thing all week. Royally pissed off! This was like something super natural. That car definitely was not on the lot last week. Maybe the Gods are trying to tell me something?

Anyway I also looked at some Challengers with Hemis and shaker hood but they were all used, so no go there. Then a beautiful Porsche 911 Carrera in grey with a tan leather interior. Then I remembered my first race with the V6 “girly car” where the Porsche had a half car lead at the lights and still ended up kissing my ass in the end. There is always that. I even saw video of this woman with a Challenger Hellcat only run 4s to 60 and even high 4s I remember because she didn’t know how to drive. She also would kiss my ass as she wouldn’t have the time to get in front of me. Just a reality check for those who never go out there and put it on the line - literally.

Anyway I was just super pissed off to see that car pop up out of nowhere like a jack-in-the-box. I guess the Fates want it this way. My car shopping days are officially over. V6 forever... Yadda, Yadda, Yadda....

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
This. The quickest way to get sick of a fun car is to drive it daily. If I drove my GT everyday and commuted in it, I'd be tired of it in no time. It would lose its appeal and sucky gas mileage would be accentuated.

Get a fun car for the weekends/little traffic and it will always be fun. That's my setup right now.
I dunno. My commute is 130 miles 1/2 on highway, half on secondary roads. The GT makes a long boring drive pretty cool, and the ability to get around slow pokes in traffic on a secondary road is pretty convenient. Expensive to commute in compared to a Prius. But there's no trailer hitch on my ass. There is one on my GT though.

Sponsored

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
So was it your supposition that you could trade a 6 for an 8 even?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Then a beautiful Porsche 911 Carrera in grey with a tan leather interior. Then I remembered my first race with the V6 “girly car” where the Porsche had a half car lead at the lights and still ended up kissing my ass in the end. There is always that. [...] Just a reality check for those who never go out there and put it on the line - literally.
Because you mentioned reality check, just want to say the only reason a 911 (even the lowest level) would see your tail lights is if they wanted to. They accelerate faster, brake faster, corner faster, etc than you could ever hope to. 911 hits 100 in the low to mid 9s, Mustang GT hits it a second later and we already know the GT leaves the V6 behind :shrug:

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
So was it your supposition that you could trade a 6 for an 8 even?
The straight trade was for a “used” 2016 and that wasn’t happening. For a new 2017 I’m probably looking at another 8 grand which I could live with. But it’s done. The car has to be black and good luck finding anymore out there. It did sit outside all winter long. My car was practically off loaded and in my garage within two days. There is variation among cars and engine output and even here I appear to be on the winning side. This is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Not even a blip or some thing - anything out of the norm. Black with no stick on bogus spoiler. Fogs and no useless heat extractors on the hood. The only change would have been the V8. But I’ve read the tea leaves now. Not going to happen in a Mustang. Like that song the Marines say in training before going to bed: “ This is my Mustang. There are many like it but this one is mine...”

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Because you mentioned reality check, just want to say the only reason a 911 (even the lowest level) would see your tail lights is if they wanted to. They accelerate faster, brake faster, corner faster, etc than you could ever hope to. 911 hits 100 in the low to mid 9s, Mustang GT hits it a second later and we already know the GT leaves the V6 behind :shrug:

WRONG Wrong Wrong! A Carrera 4. Didn’t gain one inch. Even that driver was impressed. With an expert it is faster but he didn’t have the space or time. Street races are short. The guy with fast reactions and street smarts will always win.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
BTW guys - he - saw my tail lights and V6 badging. Probably thought it was a V8 anyway. That was the first time I floored it and stood on it and I really liked what I heard! He came up beside me all excited talking even though I had my windows up :lol: I had to wait a while to see what he was driving. Best part was this happened right after the bars closed and all the street crowd saw it. Doesn’t get any better than that!!!!

I also beat a modified Porsche on a decreasing radius turn because he chickened out. All you guys that spout figures from some magazine article fail to realize that on the street most people drive like shit! And most people bail in a corner before the car does!

Forget about the reviews. The real world awaits...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Since you're keeping the V6, why not SC or turbo your car so you can have greater than stock GT acceleration on demand?

I don’t care about beating a GT. I was just always a V8 guy. The only car that would consistently beat me in my salad days was a Vette. So that will be my weekend car. I just wanted to at least go in and try to trade up. Who knows what would happen but it would have been fun!

Also, this figure spouting rubbish has to be put in perspective. Real racers know better. The guy behind the wheel matters. I could put a real racer behind the wheel in some shit box econo box and he would beat 99% of the people in this forum on any track every day! I would even put money on that! Grow up guys!

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
I don’t care about beating a GT. I was just always a V8 guy. The only car that would consistently beat me in my salad days was a Vette. So that will be my weekend car. I just wanted to at least go in and try to trade up. Who knows what would happen but it would have been fun .
I don't street race so increasing the acceleration rate isn't about beating certain cars. Many folks here know how stock GT accelerates so I was using that as a point of reference.

Also, this figure spouting rubbish has to be put in perspective. Real racers know better. The guy behind the wheel matters. I could put a real racer behind the wheel in some shit box econo box and he would beat 99% of the people in this forum on any track every day! I would even put money on that! Grow up guys!
If that's the case, why get a Vette since it's clear that you can beat much more expense, higher power, and lighter cars out there with your superior driving skills?

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I’m a crap driver. But I have always not shied away from competition. Even in university sometimes I could keep it mentally together but usually I would lose it and give up. Yes I was one of those guys that would pull off the course. But compared to some guys here I’m Jackie Stewart...

Most here are consumers and not competitors and it comes through in how they talk. A car is only as fast as the driver - in the real world. Put a soccer mom in a Ferrari and she will make it to the mall at the same speed as the Carvan she normally drives. The more skill and more fearless the driver - the more they can get out of a faster car. These are not value judgements but just spouting performance figures from a car mag just starts to sound like chicken scratch after a while!

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]XfWnITmT1Ws[/MEDIA]"]

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I couple of things. The V-6 you have will have a lower trade in/selling price as the car carries a fleet or rental history. I ran in to this on a pickup truck I traded in. Two different dealers gave me a lower trade in offer because of this. Another dealer said they didn't care.
But, back to the Mustang GT. I have a very nice '15 premium auto with lower miles I bought last fall for 28K. With all my mods including a PD supercharger, OPG and suspension, etc, I have about 39K in the car total.
I raced a 2016 Z06, the sc version back a couple of years ago with my 2011 Brembo Roushcharged GT making about the same power as the car I have now. It was a rare street race at 7AM on the interstate in a remote area. He had 2 guys in his Vette against me only. We did an 80MPH roll and he was many car lengths back at 130 when I let off and "let" him fly by. The '15 I have now revs freely to 7200 RPM like it wants to go to the moon. Wonderful engine even over the '11.
Save 30K get the v-8 Mustang, make it faster than a Vette. Easier to get in and out of, rides smoother, costs less, looks better, didn't get a bailout, revs 1000+ rpms better with a true state of the art engine instead of a pushrod special.
Shucks, if I was going to get a pushrod engine and spend 70K, and I was a Chevy guy, I'd do an old muscle car. Similar engine technology after all.
It is true, I'm not a Vette guy.
Sponsored