Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Well it turns out the decision was made for me. It looks like I will stick to the plan I had and keep the V6 as the daily driver and then buy the Corvette at the most opportune time but probably before the release of the mid engine Vette as I’m not crazy about that thing.

What happened is that I could not find enough 2017 GTs even in different colors to make the whole thing feasible. There was one car that fit the bill being black ase GT, but a used 2016. I could have gone for the straight swap with that car but I don’t’ buy used performance cars anymore. So the V6 stays. The funny part of this is that people car shopping with me think my car is a 2018 car (I even did a thread on this) and the daughter in law of a friend of mine begged me to take a ride with her in “her dream car (a V6 Mustang?) after I visited the last dealership lot. I took her around the block in light rain and she was tickled pink for the experience. Go figure?

I will also tell you truthfully, that I also shopped some Dodge Challengers (Hemi V8s) while I was at it. I found two, a black one that looks used but still may be new (on-line says it should be used), and a new one but lime green! Now I heard stories on Hemi engines so without more selection I will pass – or to quote Gordon Gecko: “That’s a dog with different fleas!” So to the thrill of my fellow V6 owners the V6 car was the best bet in the end. I was originally supposed to buy a Hyundai Elantra and later the Vette, but at the moment of truth, in the agony of the moment – I just could not do it; so I stretched and bought the Mustang! Best move I ever made as I literally got it two days off the truck and broke it in carefully and not one peep, not even one scratch so far. The car has been utterly reliable from -25 to 100 degrees from summer to winter. You make decisions with your mind and not your heart and this one stands.

Thanks for all the replies as it is much appreciated: V6 Forever!

Oh, and here are some Lambo pictures I took of that Lamborghini Gallardo on the Ford dealer used car lot:

Lambo_1.jpg

Lambo_2.jpg

Lambo_3.jpg

Yes, the interior looks like the inside of the local whore house - but whatever!
Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Get the vette. I love my GT but its no vette.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
At least get a Grand Sport. It's a massive upgrade over the Stingray.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
At least get a Grand Sport. It's a massive upgrade over the Stingray.

But as you notice I’m a base car kind of guy. Given a choice between upgraded Hyundai Elantra Gt and base Mustang I went base Mustang. Given a choice between a fully loaded Mustang and base Corvette then it is base Corvette all day long. A Stingray is in another universe compared to the GT - sorry guys... The only way I would get a Grand Sport over a Stingray was if I met a member of the Corvette Club and he was willing to practically give away his garage queen GS. This is the only way I would break my rule of never buying used as some of these old farts literally have babied their babies since new. Best time for this is when the new mid-engine cars come out and some well healed guy is just looking for a reason to sell his and get the new Vette. And that is the plan! Otherwise base car as usual with all the other Vette owners looking down on me as usual. :lol: At least the base brakes look less embarrassing these days!

gqllc007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
I had a 2005 Z51 Vette. I then got a 2006 Porsche Boxster. 6 months after that I got the 17 Mustang GT premium 5.0. The Mustang is more comfortable and easier to get in and out of. But I must say it is no Vette. My Vette even back in 2005 was way more "sports car" than the GT. The GT is more muscle not sport. My friend has a 2015 Vette new style and that does circles around my 05. If you want to break your mold and get a GS you won't be dissapointed

Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Not a Mustang vs. thread or inter-model thread.

Anyway I was at a dealer lot and noticed the V6s are holding their value where I live. Like as used 2016 is asking more than I paid new for my 2017 V6. The dealers here are also for 2018, bringing in base GTs with upgraded radios or PP1. I actually, seriously, considered moving into a V8 if they would give me my money back on the V6 and not screw me somewhere else. I bought it from fleet sales so this could actually happen. I could get a second chance here!

The rub is that if I go 5.0 again I will give up getting a Corvette. The V6 was a DD and the Vette would be a weekend. But the GT would do both.

So what do you guys think? And don’t screw around as I can actually do this. The only concern is the motor trouble on the new GTs. My V6 is absolutely trouble free and I kind of feel bad to give up a car that is a perfect DD. So should I keep this and get a Vette or go cheap and trade in?
Motor trouble on the new GT's???? :eyebulge: What trouble are you talking about?

If the Vette weren't so ugly I'd say go for the Vette, but they're butt ugly so a no go for me.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Motor trouble on the new GT's???? :eyebulge: What trouble are you talking about?

If the Vette weren't so ugly I'd say go for the Vette, but they're butt ugly so a no go for me.
I am sort of getting a guilt complex when I point the way. Hint: you will not be listening to the radio in you car later today:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102509

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102892

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101564

Some are minor but some major. Don’t kill the messenger!

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am sort of getting a guilt complex when I point the way. Hint: you will not be listening to the radio in you car later today:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102509

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102892

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101564

Some are minor but some major. Don’t kill the messenger!
Thanks for the links, definitely not killing the messenger, if there are troubles I want to be aware of them. :cheers:

Agreed, when I get home I'll be starting and listening intently, there will be the normal injection clicks but this is definitely a different sound so should be easy to hear.

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
I'd keep the V6 and get the Vette for sure. The V6 gets good gas mileage and is a great daily driver.

The biggest reason I traded in my V6 for a GT, was because I hated the automatic transmission...
This. The quickest way to get sick of a fun car is to drive it daily. If I drove my GT everyday and commuted in it, I'd be tired of it in no time. It would lose its appeal and sucky gas mileage would be accentuated.

Get a fun car for the weekends/little traffic and it will always be fun. That's my setup right now.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I would keep the V6 and get a Vette. V6 would be an awesome DD that comfortable and the vette could be your panty dropper

edit I do daily my 850rwho coyote listed in my signature but im a little on the crazy side lol

Sponsored

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This. The quickest way to get sick of a fun car is to drive it daily. If I drove my GT everyday and commuted in it, I'd be tired of it in no time. It would lose its appeal and sucky gas mileage would be accentuated.

Get a fun car for the weekends/little traffic and it will always be fun. That's my setup right now.
Agreed 100%.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
One of my co-workers drove the Z06 with Z07 package today. It's hard to see the details in the picture with it being a black car in the parking garage, but it looks pretty nice in person!
image_uploaded_from_ios_1024.jpg

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
One of my co-workers drove the Z06 with Z07 package today. It's hard to see the details in the picture with it being a black car in the parking garage, but it looks pretty nice in person!

You mean like this:

Corvette_Z06_2018.jpg

If I was diagnosed with cancer this was mine and 14,000 dollars off! I didn’t have cancer so back to V6 Mustang and base Vette. Such is life...

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Yup just like that one. From a purely visual point of view, I don't think that there's enough differences between a GT and V6 to make the jump. I may get a flack for this but I think that even goes for GT350s. Don't get me wrong, my other co-worker gave me a ride in his GT350R and that's an awesome car, but there are body kits out there that can make a regular Mustangs look similar to a GT350 enough to fool the masses. I don't think that you can do the same to make a Camaro look like a Corvette.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Yup just like that one. From a purely visual point of view, I don't think that there's enough differences between a GT and V6 to make the jump. I may get a flack for this but I think that even goes for GT350s. Don't get me wrong, my other co-worker gave me a ride in his GT350R and that's an awesome car, but there are body kits out there that can make a regular Mustangs look similar to a GT350 enough to fool the masses. I don't think that you can do the same to make a Camaro look like a Corvette.
I'm gonna be captain obvious here, but it's because the 1st three (plus EB) are of the same lineage and are Mustangs sharing large portions of their design, with parts that are interchangeable in many cases; While a Camaro and Corvette are, well, different cars entirely. :lol:
Sponsored