Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
Not a Mustang vs. thread or inter-model thread.

Anyway I was at a dealer lot and noticed the V6s are holding their value where I live. Like as used 2016 is asking more than I paid new for my 2017 V6. The dealers here are also for 2018, bringing in base GTs with upgraded radios or PP1. I actually, seriously, considered moving into a V8 if they would give me my money back on the V6 and not screw me somewhere else. I bought it from fleet sales so this could actually happen. I could get a second chance here!

The rub is that if I go 5.0 again I will give up getting a Corvette. The V6 was a DD and the Vette would be a weekend. But the GT would do both.

So what do you guys think? And don’t screw around as I can actually do this. The only concern is the motor trouble on the new GTs. My V6 is absolutely trouble free and I kind of feel bad to give up a car that is a perfect DD. So should I keep this and get a Vette or go cheap and trade in?
Sponsored

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
We talking base model corvette or one of the upgraded models? If you could an upgraded version of a vette I would personally jump on it. I love the way the new vettes look.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
We talking base model corvette or one of the upgraded models? If you could an upgraded version of a vette I would personally jump on it. I love the way the new vettes look.

A base Stingray with the carbon fibre insert on the hood. No GS or Z06, they were testing me for cancer a few months ago and if it was I would buy this black Z06. I’m fine now. I don’t even have high blood pressure.

I was driving to a party with and old friend and told him about the Corvette and he smirked and told me I was a Mustang guy and would always be a Mustang guy. There is some truth there but I’m not wedded to Mustangs like some hardcore guys here but three Mustangs and almost 20 years for me.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Based on how much you talk about not wanting the V8 all around, I think you should just go ahead and get the GT. You're clearly not feeling complete without it!

If it were me, since I'm still a young guy with no worries, I would 100% drop the Stang and jump in to the Corvette though!

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
Based on how much you talk about not wanting the V8 all around, I think you should just go ahead and get the GT. You're clearly not feeling complete without it!

If it were me, since I'm still a young guy with no worries, I would 100% drop the Stang and jump in to the Corvette though!
Remember if I get the Corvette I still keep the V6. We have winter here! If a GT then that is the only car I drive. BTW: Corvettes as DD suck even when it’s not winter. But if I get the Vette in my garage there is no GT buyers remorse.

Sponsored

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
I'd keep the V6 and get the Vette for sure. The V6 gets good gas mileage and is a great daily driver.

The biggest reason I traded in my V6 for a GT, was because I hated the automatic transmission...

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Used asking price does not equal used selling price. I see it at dealers all the time, where they are selling a low miles CPO vehicle for more than the sale price on a new vehicle. Trust me, they will sell that CPO for less than a new car.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
  • Banned
Used asking price does not equal used selling price. I see it at dealers all the time, where they are selling a low miles CPO vehicle for more than the sale price on a new vehicle. Trust me, they will sell that CPO for less than a new car.
I know that but that asking price was way more than I thought. The fact is I got my car at rock bottom rental prices so I could have a second go of it without taking it up the ass financially. Apparently there are still folk who want the six over the 4 pot.

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
I would sell the V6 (or keep it) and get the Vette, but that's just me. I would daily the Vette because why have such an awesome car and not drive it? Yes, there's snow, but that's what snow tires are for.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
As much as i love daily driving a GT and as much as i want to suggest it, if you have snow/salt winter i would go vette and dd the v6 unless you get a gt or 350 and keep the v6 for snow.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
IMO for sameish money, GT350 over a base Vette, unless you've gotta have a vette for nostalgic reasons. The GT350 is a much more special car. You also then get one of most unique sounds to come from a car. It's so much fun to rev, where the corvette and camaro are meh to wind out, despite being very fast.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I would rather own a used Escape and a GT (than GT & Vette).

Corvettes use to be uber cool, but the base GT has more HP than the base Vette. I don't see an point in owning both a Vette and a Stang, if one is your daily.

Buy the GT and get a winter beater.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I’d get the Vette

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I would rather own a used Escape and a GT (than GT & Vette).

Corvettes use to be uber cool, but the base GT has more HP than the base Vette. I don't see an point in owning both a Vette and a Stang, if one is your daily.

Buy the GT and get a winter beater.
I keep telling you guys I will keep the V6 if I buy the Corvette. I can drive the GT in the winter in Toronto no problem. As many have stated here just turn off traction control if it snows. I am only 8 kilometres from my work and can take the bus on the worst days. So the GT would be the DD if I bought that.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I live in the same area as the OP and was in a similar situation (kind of) where I bought myself a rare G8 GXP manual and drove it year-round.

The gas bill was just too much for my driving routine and as much as I loved the car, I couldn't daily it year-round. I ended up selling it, bought myself a commuter car and then a couple of years later, the GT as the weekend/nice weather toy.

I vote for keeping the V6 and buying something special for the weekends.

IMO, when you drive a special car day-in day-out it loses some of it's "specialness".

I always can't wait to get in the GT when the weather permits ... if I drove it all the time, I wouldn't feel the same way.
Sponsored