Sponsored

Stay With Present Car or buy GT?

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I'll also echo what bMac said about the LS motors being what I'd call "lazy" to rev.

Driving the 5.0 after the 6.2 LS3 was a revelation ... 5.0 revs like a 4 cylinder almost. If you haven't driven a Vette, do that first to see how you like it ... it's not JUST about speed and how fast a car is (for me anyway) ... it's a whole basket of things that make the experience special in a unexplained way.
Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
And don’t screw around as I can actually do this.

You can't control us ( the internet people ) Dude :headbonk::shrug::crazy::)

My 2nd car is a 4x4 Truck and my DD is a GT. If I was in Toronto like you I'd have the GT and a Truck but I'm not you.
Corvettes don't satisfy me like the Mustang does YMMV

These (what should I get) threads are always a bit silly anyways. We suggest what you should get and then you tell us we are wrong

Good luck :headbang:

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I live in the same area as the OP and was in a similar situation (kind of) where I bought myself a rare G8 GXP manual and drove it year-round.

The gas bill was just too much for my driving routine and as much as I loved the car, I couldn't daily it year-round. I ended up selling it, bought myself a commuter car and then a couple of years later, the GT as the weekend/nice weather toy.

I vote for keeping the V6 and buying something special for the weekends.

IMO, when you drive a special car day-in day-out it loses some of it's "specialness".

I always can't wait to get in the GT when the weather permits ... if I drove it all the time, I wouldn't feel the same way.

Most here won’t know what that car is you had but I do! :thumbsup: Yes the plan was to DD the V6 and get a Vette before I retire. That makes sense and my car is perfect since new. If this V6 I have didn’t live in the shadow of the V8 it would be respected much more as a sports car.

I’m off to dealer hop and look at some Vettes and GTs. This will be fun as it is real shopping and not just looking. With the Vette I have time but if I get the 5.0 it could happen in the next few days. I just never considered the option as I considered the upgrade as always a sucker move. But if they truly buy it back...

The 5.0 will always be DD. I have 18 years of that under my belt. I’m surprised nobody talks about the engine problems. The spray on liners and piston slap was a concern before production started and now is reality. This would hold me back for sure. Another sure thing is that nobody is driving an 18GT like they stole it during the break in. Just this feeling I have. :lol:

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Get a '15 - '17 ... bet you can get a deal on any leftovers.

Btw, who's open on a Sunday?

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You can't control us ( the internet people ) Dude :headbonk::shrug::crazy::)

My 2nd car is a 4x4 Truck and my DD is a GT. If I was in Toronto like you I'd have the GT and a Truck but I'm not you.
Corvettes don't satisfy me like the Mustang does YMMV

These (what should I get) threads are always a bit silly anyways. We suggest what you should get and then you tell us we are wrong

Good luck :headbang:

Wrong. Actually the advice is pretty good so far. It is boring if it is not you but helpful if it is - now that I am on the receiving end. These threads are worth it in the end. Especially if it saves the op from a mistake they literally will be paying for years in the future. This is a Mustang community forum and it’s Sunday morning; nobody is being put out with this thread.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I live in the same area as the OP and was in a similar situation (kind of) where I bought myself a rare G8 GXP manual and drove it year-round.

The gas bill was just too much for my driving routine and as much as I loved the car, I couldn't daily it year-round. I ended up selling it, bought myself a commuter car and then a couple of years later, the GT as the weekend/nice weather toy.

I vote for keeping the V6 and buying something special for the weekends.

IMO, when you drive a special car day-in day-out it loses some of it's "specialness".

I always can't wait to get in the GT when the weather permits ... if I drove it all the time, I wouldn't feel the same way.
Also feels fast every time you drive it since your going back to a slower daily driver.

At least for me personally the car doesn't seem to get "slower" in perception like it does when you drive it everyday, without anything slower to remind you how fast it actually is.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Also feels fast every time you drive it since your going back to a slower daily driver.

At least for me personally the car doesn't seem to get "slower" in perception like it does when you drive it everyday, without anything slower to remind you how fast it actually is.
Good point and another reason to get a 2nd special car.

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
Let us know how the Dealership visits go.
I typically refuse to go to the dealership till I am ready to purchase.

Fun fact:
The last three cars my missus and I bought (we typically upgrade together), each purchase it was pouring with rain. LMAO

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Let us know how the Dealership visits go.
I typically refuse to go to the dealership till I am ready to purchase.

Fun fact:
The last three cars my missus and I bought (we typically upgrade together), each purchase it was pouring with rain. LMAO

Same here but window shopping today. This one Ford dealership has no GT coupes but a Lamborghini Gallardo on the used car lot. Who trades a Lamborghini for a Ford? One more dealership. A dealer who has a black 5.0 I always looked at. One time they left the trunk open and it was going to rain and I thought I should slam it shut. But I already had my car- foolish me...

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
I have a '16 C7 Vert, and will say it's the best Corvette GM has ever built. Take a test drive in one, and I'm quite sure you will have one in your garage. Then you have the best of all worlds. A V8, a Corvette, and a Mustang.

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
This isn’t the only place in the net for me and Mustangs and the prevailing wisdom seems to be to wait for Ford to fix the dropping valve and piston slap (and even leaking oil pans that I could live with) problems on those spray on liners. Maybe even wait for the soon to be released 2019.

So now it comes down to a new 2017 GT they are dying to get rid of and trade up to that. That actually is a viable idea so I have another three or four dealerships to go. Availability via the net is unreliable so you have to physically look. The place I knew that had a black 2017 GT had sold it and that was a bitch to take, but there it is.

If I find one I have decided that I would go in there Monday or Tuesday and see what the options were. So things are still interesting.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I keep telling you guys I will keep the V6 if I buy the Corvette. I can drive the GT in the winter in Toronto no problem. As many have stated here just turn off traction control if it snows. I am only 8 kilometres from my work and can take the bus on the worst days. So the GT would be the DD if I bought that.
May I ask, how much experience do you have with a Corvette..?
Ever driven one over a long weekend, etc..? What is it (exactly) about the Vette is drawing you in. For example, why wouldn't you just daily your Vette too..?

ed:
Also, what exactly about the Gen3 Coyote liners do you seem to have a problem with, or have heard of (plz) ..? You sound skeptical, when in fact they are much more durable and wear resistant, etc. So ..?

OP
OP
Fatguy

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
May I ask, how much experience do you have with a Corvette..?
Ever driven one over a long weekend, etc..? What is it (exactly) about the Vette is drawing you in. For example, why wouldn't you just daily your Vette too..?

ed:
Also, what exactly about the Gen3 Coyote liners do you seem to have a problem with, or have heard of (plz) ..? You sound skeptical, when in fact they are much more durable and wear resistant, etc. So ..?

Here is one about the piston slap:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102509

The valve thing is not a 2018 specific problem so I should not have used that. The oil pan thing anyone could see that coming but I could live with that one. And still too early on the dual spray system to prevent coking. Only experience with old Vettes and motors that don’t apply here (old LT1 engines are the Devil’s playground - don’t buy a Vette with one). But you can’t drive a Vette in Canada in the winter and some places you go have ramps that are too steep for the front lip of the car. Soccer moms who hit a low car like a Vette in the mall parking lot. Stuff like that.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
Disclaimer: I am a "Mustang Guy." Pretty much all I've ever driven, since my first car in high school and my dad having two '65s growing up.

If you were keeping the V6 AND getting a 'Vette, why not a GT350?

Regardless, I'd rather have the V6 as a daily, and a "fun" car for other days.
Sponsored