Sponsored

Stateside mustang holiday

Mudnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW MINI & Land Rover Defender
Am currently in the US, and took my father on one last cruise holiday. Stopped by the Shelby Museum in Las Vegas. Well worth a look, and free to enter. It did cost me in t-shirts though.
Spent time in the Caribbean, Texas, and now California. Rental car in San Francisco is a convertible 2015 Mustang. Had 6 to choose from, and the son picked black. Hard to pack 3 adults + 4 large bags into, but managed. Two bags in the boot, and two on the back seat for the drive to Monterey. Thought it would be a V6, but has the premium dash, so not the basic. It is an eco boost, and I am impressed by the power. Handling is really nice for the car and should be much better with the PP option I have coming on the GT.

More to follow.

Ken
IMG_3219.jpg
IMG_3221.jpg
IMG_8342.jpg
IMG_8344.jpg
IMG_8347.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mudnut

Mudnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JCW MINI & Land Rover Defender
Well been driving the Convertible Eco Boost Mustang for a week now. Other than typical California traffic, driving on the wrong side of the road, and the steering wheel being on the wrong side, I am quite enjoying it. I am very impressed with the Eco Boost engine. It pulls strongly, and suits the auto in the convertible. Glad it has hill start assist even with an auto in the San Francisco hills. On one stop, all I could see was skyscrapers, and no sign of terra firma over the long bonnet. Felt like I was waiting to be launched in a rocket. No issues once the "gas" pedal was depressed, just smoothly went forward, and the earth re-appeared.
The noise when in tunnels is strange. Not like a typical turbo car, it just sounds like very loud tyre noise, but amplified.
Came across a herd of mustangs parked in a lot with the owners ready for a ride. Stopped and had a chat, nice guys, and very enthusiastic about their rides.
Front seat space is nice, even though my wife has to have her seat forward to make room for my 180cm 14 yo son in the back. Convertible has more rear head room, but less boot space. Saying that 2 pieces of luggage fit in the boot, and 2 more on the rear passenger seat (cleaned out an estate, and bringing stuff home)
Wife's perspective: Nice car, but would rent a larger one in the future. I personally have vowed never to holiday with my son again, so problem solved!
Cheers,

Ken
IMG_8626.jpg

Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback PP Manual
Cool. Would love to visit the Shelby museum!

tarabrae

How's the serenity?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Fastback MT
Convertible has more rear head room, but less boot space. Saying that 2 pieces of luggage fit in the boot, and 2 more on the rear passenger seat (cleaned out an estate, and bringing stuff home)
Two smallish pieces I guess. Once I had my wife's suitcase in the back of the four Mustangs I rented there was only space for four small backpack sized pieces around the edges. It was a big bag though and needed to be put in at a certain angle to get in. My suitcase was permanently on the backseat.

I had the Camaro for a day and it was much worse. It also had the problem of a "cargo shade" which had to be pulled over the contents of the trunk if you wanted to lower the top, further reducing the available space. I was glad to get back into a Mustang when I got to Hawaii on the way home.

ssb

50 DARK
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Black 'vert GT & BMW M Coupe
Two smallish pieces I guess. Once I had my wife's suitcase in the back of the four Mustangs I rented there was only space for four small backpack sized pieces around the edges. It was a big bag though and needed to be put in at a certain angle to get in. My suitcase was permanently on the backseat.

I had the Camaro for a day and it was much worse. It also had the problem of a "cargo shade" which had to be pulled over the contents of the trunk if you wanted to lower the top, further reducing the available space. I was glad to get back into a Mustang when I got to Hawaii on the way home.
Yeah, sh*t, we had a Camaro convertible in Hawaii and had to get from the airport to our Hotel with a child in child seat and that tiny boot with the stupid cargo shade...

That was one of my biggest complaints, which luckily is 'solved' in the Mustang! Even so, we managed to get luggage for 3 in there with some creative packing :)

I found the Camaro had a much smaller opening the the 'stang as well, which meant that some things that could fit in the trunk had trouble getting in there. Luckily I worked out the correct Tetris combination to get my daughters pram in there - then we were set!
Sponsored