Sponsored

Star wars or Star trek, which society would you prefer to live in?

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
Star Trek IV The Voyage Home (Save the Whales!) is absolutely awesome and very very funny.
Stopped reading after this. As a ST and SW fan I have to completely disagree with the above sentence.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Depends am I a Jedi or do a wear a red shirt ?
You are a random person who has no involvement with any of the goings on of the heroes (not a jedi, or in the rebellion or empire military / not in star fleet). Gotta follow the odds.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I would live in star trek I think. I would settle down open a real food sandwich shop and call it.... Sub Space.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
The Star Trek fantasy universe appears to offer a great deal more affluence and freedom, and an economic and political system that is shown to work real well for most individuals. It's also founded on rational principles and a respect for facts and science.

All of that being said... All of this is accomplished by writer's fiat. Things are better in the Trek eras because we're told they're better, without any examination about how this too-good-to-be-true Utopia can really work. The lack of money is a glaring example: yes, this is possible given some of their hand-waving technology, and it's an old staple of visionary science fiction writers, but everyone behaves and seems to be motivated exactly like 20th/21st century Americans. If you scratch the surface too deeply, the "universe" falls apart.

In similar fashion, Star Wars glosses over the real sources of the conflict that seems to consume their far-away galaxy. Okay, the Sith are greedy and vindictive and tend to be, well, ugly m***********s, but the Jedi were major dicks and damned if you can tell whether the average individual was better off under the Republic or the Empire. It's a big, big galaxy and it's hard to imagine that the poorly-wrought politics and spectacular space shoot-outs that occupy the protagonists have much impact on more than an itsy-bitsy percentage of folks out there.

Unless you're from Alderaan, that is.

All of these vague contradictions are inevitable in a long series of stories where the invented worlds are really superficial, make-it-up-as-you-go backdrops for dramatic and adventure plots and melodramatic characters that are properly the things the movies and shows are about.

Me, I'm a slightly indolent middle-class white guy who wants to drive my convertible, go to the beach and have a double espresso. Star Trek would be a better fit for me.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
We are all entitled to our opinions, but I am entitled to this not liking ST IV makes you a double dumb ass! (love those colorful metaphors)
I find your love of that movie disturbing......

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Thank heavens Disney hasn't touched Star Trek... they'd ruin it too!
I find they went overboard with the merchandise. Why does someone need a Star Wars toaster? A Star Wars kitchen timer? A Spider-Man coffee machine?

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Star Trek for two reasons - holodeck and transporters.
If I was my equivalent self in Star Wars, I'd be stuck in some random job with at best a pod racer. I would probably not benefit in most ways from the Star Wars Universe of technology.
If I was my equivalent self in Star Trek, I'd be stuck in some random job with at best a membership to a public holodeck and a transporter pass (like a bus pass) that I have to share with the rest of the public. Knowing people, even in the Star Trek Universe, someone will still have pissed in the transporter.
So net-net, I would pick Star Trek.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Star Trek for two reasons - holodeck and transporters.
If I was my equivalent self in Star Wars, I'd be stuck in some random job with at best a pod racer. I would probably not benefit in most ways from the Star Wars Universe of technology.
If I was my equivalent self in Star Trek, I'd be stuck in some random job with at best a membership to a public holodeck and a transporter pass (like a bus pass) that I have to share with the rest of the public. Knowing people, even in the Star Trek Universe, someone will still have pissed in the transporter.
So net-net, I would pick Star Trek.
That and the bio filters would of ended covid as soon as you were transported.

Reactions: XS

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I think I'd vote for Star Wars but would change that vote to Star Trek if Bikeman was required to wear a red shirt :)
Sponsored