M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Yikes.
Good question. I don't think anyone is gonna touch that with a ten foot pole to be honest with you. I think Jon Lund Jr. talked about it a bit in his Youtube video if you need proof.
EPA is the federal government. Either comply or you're going to be paying some hefty fines, possibly more.

Such a shame. I think it's terrible.
Yep I posted Jon Jr's vid yesterday, I'm a pretty positive guy but it appears that modding late model muscle may be coming to an end as we know it.
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My motorcycle tuner I’ve been using for 10 years on all my Suzuki’s.

Just saw this they tune all sport bikes and such.

Better believe when time comes, I will be using fake name/info/payment from fake PayPal so my info isn’t in epa stuff

1054D3A4-864F-4D57-A8B2-A0153CEFF3DA.png

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Cvfab bailing out

Maybe I should keep my catted downpipe just because, may not be able to get another one.

0DCDBB5E-D528-4D92-9EE2-431D5C2F4C75.png

905A192E-1DF5-4B22-91E8-CCE14FA738E9.png

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I wonder how/if this will impact stand alone ECU systems (Holley, Haltech etc) which are meant for true "race cars."

If the EPA is cracking down on these third party tuners and it is truly illegal to modify the factory ECU with anything but a CARB certified tune (like Ford Performance tunes, Whipple, Procharger HO etc) stand alone might be the only option...

I also hear it can take years to get blessed by the emissions overlords to be considered a 50 state legal.

Sponsored

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
Yes- I worked for a company that had a very large selection of CARB legal products (catalytic converters) and was involved in the CARB certification process ....I can tell you first hand.....

- it sometimes takes years (tons of testing)
- it is extremely expensive - look for the price of parts to go up to cover R&D costs
- the "Race cats" you see being utilized with these headers wont cut it - in fact one of the rules are the catalytic converter has to be in the factory location- I believe on our cars with long tubes it relocates the catalytic converter further back

I believe there are 14 or so states that have adopted the CARB rules so far...their enforcement has not been as strong as CA ....yet

For example in CA if you sell a non CARB certified part (this includes out of state shops that ship it to CA) even if the part is never installed- its a $25,000 fine for the shop that sold the part and shipped it - this is why they wont even ship parts into CA

That being said- living in CA I can tell you that modifying your car is not dead- just options are more limited- Tunes by Ford or Roush - or you step up to a supercharger kit - just cheap alternatives are dead : (

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
If you regularly street drive your car with off-road pipes: this is on you
If you're YouTuber who's going for 100k+ views on your videos about getting off-road headers installed on your daily: this is on you

No one gets to be able to buy parts for racecars because people wanted to do this on their street cars. This is the definition of FAAFO. People brought lots of attention to themselves and the companies that made these parts. This is the result.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
If you're YouTuber who's going for 100k+ views on your videos about getting off-road headers installed on your daily: this is on you

No one gets to be able to buy parts for racecars because people wanted to do this on their street cars. This is the definition of FAAFO. People brought lots of attention to themselves and the companies that made these parts. This is the result.
Agree 100%. I think it all started with those moron diesel owners 'rolling coal' or whatever... Just dumb.

They are also now cracking down on idiot YouToobers going for those views with street racing videos. There is a Mustang guy in California who had his cars impounded and he may go to jail for posting street racing videos on his channel. I guess some others were hit too.

btcarmd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
1965 Gt Vert, 2005 GT, 2020 GT
All they have to do is get CARB certs for the exhaust components and there should not be any issues. If the aftermarket components can match or outperform the factory exhaust component - there should not be ANY issue IF the factory AND aftermarket are performing in a similar manner AND can pass XYZ parameters.

The F’d up thing is this:
Emissions is a Federal Law.
States have their own Emissions Laws and Inspection Laws.

All you may be going like - “rhut ro, what does that mean”?

It means this:
1) Some States do not even require annual emissions testing at all.

2) Some States who do require annual emissions testing have implemented vehicle exemptions by year cut offs. So in NJ, any vehicle that is 1995 and prior does not need to go to inspection any more (no safety OR emissions testing).

Federal Law implies that the vehicle must pass emissions and have the proper emissions equipment on it per the written law. But when States can do whatever the F they want regarding laws AFTER the Federal Mandates, WHY does it matter WTF exhaust system anyone is running when Emissions Testing in State XYZ may NOT be a requirement?

Makes no damn sense.

Here’s what the Vendors should do - band together, get a freaking petition going and use the above examples for their fight.

I could run just straight headers off my 94 Cobra with no catback - because by NJ law, it’s now exempt and it doesn’t need to be visually inspected anymore OR pass a sniffer for emissions.

Another analogy:
Federal Law says Weed is a drug and is illegal. Some State Laws now welcome and allow the selling/purchase of Weed.

What’s the difference in Buying/selling/using weed in a State that allows it and buying/selling/using Off-road Exhaust components in a State that doesn’t give 2 shits about emissions where there’s NO requirement or inspection for it? NO DIFFERENCE, because in both instances the Resident of that State is abiding by their State Laws and those laws are taking precedence over Federal.

End.
Not exactly true! NJ didn't change the law, they just don't inspect for compliance or enforce it. If you remove the cats from your 94 cobra it is technically illegal. EPA knows this and doesn't have the man power or desire to enforce at the end user either. It is much easier for them to go after the seller or manufacture of such items, takes much less resources.
I only hope this ends at a place where we can continue to enjoy our need for speed, performance, and personalizing our cars without completely destroying all the strides manufacture have made to make our cars cleaner and more efficient.
Even with all these government regulations we have come a long long way in performance from the 60's,70's, and 80's. We could probably argue that government regulations introduced in the 70's forced manufactures to improve development which helped get to where we are today.
It does really piss me off when I look at all the other areas of our society that they could be going after and they are focusing on us poor little performance guys. Stay strong, we can win the fight.

Sponsored

btcarmd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
1965 Gt Vert, 2005 GT, 2020 GT

This 👆

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Are we the only car forum noticing products getting pulled? Anyone on other forums seeing other companies hit? Ie camaro, corvette etc
Cause there smart enough NOT to post delete this shit, turn that shit off, etc. I'd be careful what you guys (generic term) post.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Valid question, due to the changes forthcoming i.e. tuning, turning off O2 sensors, catless headers being removed from shelves I have thought about making my street car a full-blown drag car. So how does a guy/gal that wants to do the same thing purchase a set of catless headers or get the car tuned?

Will the alternative be to have a local shop/garage tune our cars, who in their right business mind would touch a car with no cats once this all plays out?
CAA states a production on road vehicle cannot be turned onto a race car....

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a