Stainless Works no longer selling anything labeled "Offroad Use Only"

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
It's not about emissions, it is about control.

According to the EPA and their "rules" it is illegal to alter your car. It does not matter if it passes emissions or not. If you have headers with cats and the cats are not in the stock location you fail and your car is not legal. Even if it passes all tail pipe emissions tests.

I expect catted headers to be the next thing on the chopping block.
Illegal to put on Ford's power pack? They made sure it's CARB legal so that shouldn't be affected right?

I get the control thing, it's been a thing since before I was made.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Illegal to put on Ford's power pack? They made sure it's CARB legal so that shouldn't be affected right?
So if I want to make my car race only I still have to get government approved mods.

F that.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
what happens to people who are fully 100000% modded, with no oem parts to put back to stock? and they get EPA check started back up in their area? like aftermarket entire engine blocks and crap

id imagine cars get sold CHEAP that are full mods, and can't get emission passed because it needs all its orig parts or orig engine

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
So if I want to make my car race only I still have to get government approved mods.

F that.
I fully agree. If that's what the goal really is. Genuinely asking though, how many people that make their cars "race only" trailer those cars to tracks and only run them there. Following this up with, what's the difference running a race car on a track vs the neighborhood a mile away? Same air. I think I'm actually in the crowd wondering why the attention isn't put on the end users like it's supposed to be. Many suffer to make a few feel better and it sucks every time.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Genuinely asking though, how many people that make their cars "race only" trailer those cars to tracks and only run them there.
I'd say 99%

When I go to test and tune only a handful drive there without cats.

I never smell catless cars on the road except for some Fridays when the tracks are open. They are few and far between.

This is a solution looking for a problem.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
The problem is that in the eyes of the EPA your high flow cats still won't suffice as they're too far downstream to light off fast enough so startup emissions will most likely fail. This is why you're seeing cats literally in the manifolds or attached straight to thr turbo outlet on boosted motors from the manufacturers.

I too agree there should be some leeway and a middle ground, but the EPA is likely not going to see it that way especially with us rejoining the Paris accords.
This argument has a false premise. The cat in my aftermarket downpipe is in the same spot as the OEM downpipe. It's about 12" south of the turbo.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
This argument has a false premise. The cat in my aftermarket downpipe is in the same spot as the OEM downpipe. It's about 12" south of the turbo.
On an eco boost that may be true. It is not on the 5.0 or 5.2.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sign the RPM act and do it monthly. If enough of us do that the congress critters will get sick of seeing it and pass the bill.
Yes, but, make no mistake, this is tilting at windmills.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see that rpm act doing anything, the legislators are going to ignore it. they know 90% of people don't care about the 10% of sports car people, and they want to look green as can be.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I know, this is step 1 in getting rid of ICE cars. Start by demonizing the car enthusiasts, then go after the soccer moms in SUV's then the econo boxes, then tax gas at a punishing rate, and finally order EV's only to be sold.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
On an eco boost that may be true. It is not on the 5.0 or 5.2.
I'm only speaking about the pieces which I've had in my hands and know for certain. Even if the premise were true, though, give me the criteria to be legal and I'll achieve it. I'm not asking for special rules.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I know, this is step 1 in getting rid of ICE cars. Start by demonizing the car enthusiasts, then go after the soccer moms in SUV's then the econo boxes, then tax gas at a punishing rate, and finally order EV's only to be sold.
I can't force myself to hit 'like' on this, but, regardless, I agree.

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I can't force myself to hit 'like' on this, but, regardless, I agree.
Yep thats how its going to go. Make laws to make oil extraction harder leading to a rapid rise in prices, followed by increase taxes on gas(needed to try to pay for this crap 1.9T bill they just passed), now its so punishing EV cars are more palatable. Then eventually they just outlaw them all together.
Sponsored