B4RK3R

CRWDCTRL
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GT Premium
Hi guys, I'm hoping I can get some advice for a few problems or issues I'm having with my 2016 Mustang GT Premium with 1600 miles on it. This is my first Ford and Mustang so Idk if these problems are normal to the platform or not. Thanks in advance.

First problem I'm having is slight staggering or spuddering when I first start the car up (Cold or Warm star.t) The first time I give it a little bit of gas, the car shoots down in RPMs and feels like its going to stall, though never does. A quick search into the problem states that it may be a safety feature that Ford has put in place so you don't rev the piss out of it on start up. Others believe it may be incorrect gapping in spark plugs. My main question on this is whats the final verdict of this issue?

My second issue is after my MBRP exhaust install, I have a decent size exhaust leak from the jointed section of the driver side header that connects to the xpipe section. (I can upload a picture if it would help) I have tightened the clamp on it as far as it goes and it still puffs air from where two ends of the clamps meet... Does anyone else have this problem? Its just annoying to pass a car with the windows down and hear ticking coming from my brand new car. If worse comes to worse Ill either get someone to weld the dame thing together or buy some long tubes.

I appreciate all the help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I have the MBRP with H pipe, installed a few days ago. No leaking issues. If you installed it yourself then you have more knowledge than me though. For the bogging down, I would think if it was spark plug related you would experience the problem at other times.

OP
OP
B4RK3R

B4RK3R

CRWDCTRL
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GT Premium
I have the MBRP with H pipe, installed a few days ago. No leaking issues. If you installed it yourself then you have more knowledge than me though. For the bogging down, I would think if it was spark plug related you would experience the problem at other times.
Yeah, I installed it myself. I can only feel the leak if I put my hand on the inside of the joint where the clamp touches. everywhere else around the pipe is leak free. That's why I didn't know if it was normal or not. I've always been under the assumption that no part of the exhaust components should leak air. I would just try replacing the clamp, but Ford welded the rear of it to the header so I cant even remove it to replace.
VZM.IMG_20160628_123652.jpg
0626161514.jpg
0626161504.jpg

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
That's weird. It looks like a clean install. Me being me, I would probably look for a sealant to put in there or maybe you could (not fun) pull it back off and come up with a sleeve of some sort. I don't know what kind of sealant would be good for those kind of temperatures.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Or maybe you could make the clamp tighter (if that would help) with a spacer or stack of washers over the bolt.

Sponsored

OP
OP
B4RK3R

B4RK3R

CRWDCTRL
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GT Premium
Or maybe you could make the clamp tighter (if that would help) with a spacer or stack of washers over the bolt.
I may actually try this. Hoping the bolt will come off all the way. Ford seems like they don't want this part coming off at all, lol. At first I thought it was weird that there isn't any sort of washer or spacer between the two metal ends that would crush to create a tighter seal, or maybe I lost it or it fell out during install.

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
If it were mine, I would try loosening (but not removing) all places that the x pipe connects to the rest of the system, jiggle it around some, and tighten the leaker up first. Then I'd tighten the rest, and retest for leaks. Sometimes stuff gets in a bit of a bind and you don't always know why, and a loosen/shake/retighten can let everything end up where it "wants" to be.

OP
OP
B4RK3R

B4RK3R

CRWDCTRL
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GT Premium
If it were mine, I would try loosening (but not removing) all places that the x pipe connects to the rest of the system, jiggle it around some, and tighten the leaker up first. Then I'd tighten the rest, and retest for leaks. Sometimes stuff gets in a bit of a bind and you don't always know why, and a loosen/shake/retighten can let everything end up where it "wants" to be.

I've loosened it all up twice and readjusted. I may need to throw it on a lift again to figure it out. I've been doing the adjustments on the ramps, and am not really able to get under the car.
Sponsored