Square Tires on Staggered Wheels?

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
My '21 GT has the factory staggered 19" wheels/tires, 9.0 and 9.5 wide I think, with 255 front and 275 rear tires. Before next fall I will be looking to put all season tires on, and a square setup would be best for the wallet (about to retire) as they can be rotated. I see that 265 is the widest recommended for 9 inch wheels, and the 265 is within the range for 9.5 wheels. Is there any reason 265s shouldn't be used as a square setup on the factory staggered 19s?
GT1.jpg
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
My '21 GT has the factory staggered 19" wheels/tires, 9.0 and 9.5 wide I think, with 255 front and 275 rear tires. Before next fall I will be looking to put all season tires on, and a square setup would be best for the wallet (about to retire) as they can be rotated. I see that 265 is the widest recommended for 9 inch wheels, and the 265 is within the range for 9.5 wheels. Is there any reason 265s shouldn't be used as a square setup on the factory staggered 19s?
GT1.jpg
Nope, nothing wrong with that plan. You have to rotate the tires by dismounting the tire and putting it on the other wheel, but you can find places who will do that pretty cheap.

22MAVXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mustang GT
It is not the tires that is the problem. It is the wheels. The offsets are all wrong to be rotated. You "could" do it, but I wouldn't.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You can, but I wouldn't. You can only rotate side to side without dismounting the wheels. So the outer shoulder of your fronts are still going to wear out, just the opposite rotational direction.

Sponsored

OP
OP
pt's21

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Nightmare, Thanks for the info. I didn't think of that.

The difference in offset of factory staggered wheels is 7.5mm (0.295in) with the rear having more positive offset (front = 45mm, rear = 52.5mm). To rotate the rear wheels to the front, add 7.5mm spacers to the front. Then that 7.5mm needs to be removed from the rear offset to move the front wheels to the rear. To physically do this, one could run 0.5in spacers on the front when the rear wheels are on the front. Offsets would then be nearly stock, but with slightly more overall track width.

This is doable, but a bit of a hassle. Will probably stick to staggered tires.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You're trying waaayyyy too hard bro. Do it right. When you start getting into spacers, now you're getting into making sure your studs are long enough and have enough thread engagement on the lug nuts, how will it look, etc, etc.

OP
OP
pt's21

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
You're trying waaayyyy too hard bro. Do it right. When you start getting into spacers, now you're getting into making sure your studs are long enough and have enough thread engagement on the lug nuts, how will it look, etc, etc.
Exactly why I said "bit of a hassle". 1/2" spacers would require longer studs, then on the next rotate the spacers would go away and the studs would be too long. As far as looks, I'm running 1" spacers all around now. I like the look. But, 1" spacers don't require changing studs.

Also, the 265s must be an odd size. At Tirerack the Michelin Pilot A/S 4 in 255/275 staggered are $50 less than a set of 265s.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
If you are comfortable with bolt on spacers, as it seems you are, just buy the proper thickness spacer. It would take maybe 5 minutes longer to rotate tires.

I know nothing about bolt on spacers, is 1" the widest you can go?

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
275 35 R19 fits fine on all 4 corners. Lowers car a hair.

Sponsored

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
GT1.jpg
wheel offset and backspacing would need to be considered,you'll need correct clearance for the front brakes,you'd be pressing fitment limits with a 275 on 9in wheels,which could increase wear on the front tires...i sold a set of "PP-1" wheels in a day on marketplace after i purchased a set of "PP-2 REPLICAS" from CJ PONY (19x9.5/10 in)which greatly reduced my purchase price...but i don't rotate..so,there's that!

Last edited:
OP
OP
pt's21

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
wheel offset and backspacing would need to be considered,you'll need correct clearance for the front brakes,you'd be pressing fitment limits with a 275 on 9in wheels,which could increase wear on the front tires...i sold a set of "PP-1" wheels in a day on marketplace after i purchased a set of "PP-2 REPLICAS" from CJ PONY (19x9.5/10 in)which greatly reduced my purchase price...but i don't rotate..so,there's that!
All you mention were addressed in this thread.

I threw in the towel and now have staggered all season tires on the car. I like the stance, look, and 2" additional track of my 1" spacers, and don't want to deal with changing spacers and studs every time tires are rotated.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
Another option for being able to rotate the tires is to pick up another pair of the 9" front wheels to replace the 9.5" wheels in back. They will fit on the back better than trying to put the rear wheels on the front. You could run 265's if you're really concerned about the width recommendations, but a 275/40 would be cheaper and easier to get, and will be just fine on a 9" wheel. Ford put a 255/40 on 8.5" wheels, so a 275/40 tire on a 9" isn't that much of a stretch. Or you could buy a full set of proper fitting 9.5" wheels and ditch the bolt on spacers.

OP
OP
pt's21

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Another option for being able to rotate the tires is to pick up another pair of the 9" front wheels to replace the 9.5" wheels in back. They will fit on the back better than trying to put the rear wheels on the front. You could run 265's if you're really concerned about the width recommendations, but a 275/40 would be cheaper and easier to get, and will be just fine on a 9" wheel. Ford put a 255/40 on 8.5" wheels, so a 275/40 tire on a 9" isn't that much of a stretch. Or you could buy a full set of proper fitting 9.5" wheels and ditch the bolt on spacers.
Good idea !
I'll have to keep eyes open for a pair of fronts from a staggered wheels set. If I wear out the current A/S tires while still on the top side of the dirt, I might go square.

I don't mind the bolt on spacers - I trust these (and my install). Besides, I don't think my retirement budget will allow for a full set of wheels, with or without 25mm less offset.

Thanks !

OP
OP
pt's21

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
For anyone curious, this is what 1" spacers do for front and rear views.

PS. Antimatter Blue is pretty much black unless in bright light.
spacers.jpg
spacers1.jpg
Sponsored