Sponsored

Square tire (and square rim) setup for 3-season GT350 touring

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
Hi all- have been entirely overwhelmed by the tire topics on the forum, have filled up a notepad with every possible iteration of tires/rims for the GT350 and I'm more confused then when I started. There seem to be so many options that I'm kind of punch drunk at this point, so I'm starting my own thread.

Here's my situation..... Due to some health issues with a family member who lives about 200 miles away, I will need to travel back to my hometown about twice a month. During the April to late October timeframe, I'd love to use the GT350 for this mostly-highway cruise. So this would be SE PA to Central NY, temps can hit low of 40F, would not be in snow (I have a 4Runner for winter weather).

Looking for a square setup so I can rotate tires F to R and S to S to maximize life. I want to have high performance touring tires so that I can cruise the highway back to my hometown and still have some limited cornering fun on some remote roads while I'm back in my old stomping grounds. Will keep the stock PSC2 tires on original wheels for track use or more vigorous road running.

Here is my proposed scheme:
  1. Get four (4) factory GT350 front rims (19" x 10.5"), because I want the OEM appearance and my Ford dealer can get me a good price on them
  2. Looking for non-directional tires so I can easily rotate front to back and side to side
  3. I'm looking at Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires in 285/35/19 103Y, as these should look pretty close to stock with regard to width and profile and can run on a 9.5"-11" rim
Here are my questions:
  1. I have read numerous places on line that the A/S 3+ is asymmetrical and can be rotated F to R and side to side. Boy, the tread looks directional to me but everyone says it's not. Can anyone confirm/dispute this?
  2. Can you run the stock front GT350 rims on the rear axle? Spacers required? Issues with offset?
  3. I'm assuming I can re-use the OEM lug nuts, correct?
  4. Can someone please give me the part number for the front wheel, so I can shop around on line, just in case my dealer forgets what he promised?
  5. I assume the same TP sensor is used front or rear, so if someone has that part number too I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Buckwampum

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
Thanks for the tip on the wheels, but I can't buy them if they won't work for my plans. Interestingly, if you want to want to buy a new OEM wheel from Ford, you have to pay a core charge of $50 if you don't return the old wheel. I'm assuming that the Chinese OEM wheels have a lot of problems and rather than just reload them on warranty, Ford wants the defective wheel back so that they can sell it to a reman outfit.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Looking for a square setup so I can rotate tires F to R and S to S to maximize life. I want to have high performance touring tires so that I can cruise the highway back to my hometown and still have some limited cornering fun on some remote roads while I'm back in my old stomping grounds. Will keep the stock PSC2 tires on original wheels for track use or more vigorous road running.

Here is my proposed scheme:
  1. Get four (4) factory GT350 front rims (19" x 10.5"), because I want the OEM appearance and my Ford dealer can get me a good price on them
  2. Looking for non-directional tires so I can easily rotate front to back and side to side
  3. I'm looking at Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires in 285/35/19 103Y, as these should look pretty close to stock with regard to width and profile and can run on a 9.5"-11" rim
Here are my questions:
  1. I have read numerous places on line that the A/S 3+ is asymmetrical and can be rotated F to R and side to side. Boy, the tread looks directional to me but everyone says it's not. Can anyone confirm/dispute this?
  2. Can you run the stock front GT350 rims on the rear axle? Spacers required? Issues with offset?
  4. Can someone please give me the part number for the front wheel, so I can shop around on line, just in case my dealer forgets what he promised?
  5. I assume the same TP sensor is used front or rear, so if someone has that part number too I'd appreciate it.
2. The factory front rims will not fit on the rear of a GT350. They will stick out beyond the fender about an inch. You need to buy 4 rear rims and will need a 1” (25mm) spacer on the front. This requires longer studs on the front. The Moog part number for the hub is 513405 (you will note it has a Ford part number on it. See pix below). You can buy longer studs and do it yourself. But I could never get them straight. You can buy a 25mm spacer here: https://www.cjponyparts.com/wheel-spacer-black-5-lug-pair-1965-1973-1994-2020/p/WHSP26-V/
3. Lug nuts are all the same.
4. TPMS is the same on all 4 corners.

I bought Apex wheels here: Front & Rear: 19x11” ET52
https://support.apexraceparts.com/h...5483093-S550-Mustang-Wheel-Tire-Fitment-Guide

DAF1112B-AB67-4AA7-A09F-88031A4F17E5.jpeg
66795EF6-C163-4614-852C-E9B0BB3696D5.jpeg

Good luck!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Here are my questions:
In order

question 1 - Michelin A/S3+ are asymmetric, so they have an "outside" and an "inside" tread, but they're not directional. I've got a stack of them in the garage and I've run them for years on various cars. Great tires.

question 2 - the front rims stick out too far for the rear axle. Spacers make it worse.

question 3 - if you have aluminum rims and don't need spacers, then yes, you can run OEM lug nuts.

question 4 - front wheel part number won't help you because you can't use them. TPMS may be model-year specific - my 2016 takes TPMS 39's, but other years may have different ones.

There is a rim that might work - Apex SM 10 19x10 ET 40. https://www.apexraceparts.com/shop-...tang/19x10-et40-apex-sm-10-mustang-wheel.html. They look a bit like stock wheels, although they're not replicas.

They're a good width for 285's, they clear the fenders and suspension both front and rear without spacers and they're designed to work with OEM lug nuts. They tick a lot of boxes. The only question is whether they will clear the brakes at the front. Call Apex and ask.

Sponsored

dg108

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I run A/S 3+ on factory wheels, 265/40 font and 275/40 rear. Great tires and almost exactly the size of the factory Sport Cup 2 (there is a thread on these). Not sure how the 285/35 compare.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Thanks for the tip on the wheels, but I can't buy them if they won't work for my plans. Interestingly, if you want to want to buy a new OEM wheel from Ford, you have to pay a core charge of $50 if you don't return the old wheel. I'm assuming that the Chinese OEM wheels have a lot of problems and rather than just reload them on warranty, Ford wants the defective wheel back so that they can sell it to a reman outfit.
Sorry. You asked for part number on front wheels, the link gives you that. Buying remanufactured wheels from a known reputable supplier is going to be the cheapest/safest option.
As far as the Chinese comment, you’d be surprised how many OE wheels are made in China.
What I’ve discovered being in the wheel repair business is China produces some great OE wheels. Aftermarket is another story.
BTW the USA has no standards for wheels sold in this country...buyer beware. Germany for example does have “standards” that are quite high for wheels sold in their country.
https://www.hrewheels.com/news/hre-explains-what-is-tuv#.X5m1si0iehA

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...As far as the Chinese comment, you’d be surprised how many OE wheels are made in China.
What I’ve discovered being in the wheel repair business is China produces some great OE wheels...
That's been my understanding as well, although I thought that "China" was in quotes on this - aren't the Ford OEM rims made in Taiwan?

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
That's been my understanding as well, although I thought that "China" was in quotes on this - aren't the Ford OEM rims made in Taiwan?
I don’t know, haven’t had them off yet.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, stock GT350 wheels are made in China:
B621DE4E-5C18-41B2-A725-9FCC412C55B3.jpeg

I believe the Carbon Fiber wheels are made in Australia.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Well there you go.
Well, no, not really. "China" as the country of origin can be the People's Republic of China (mainland China, the PRC that's run by the CCP) or it can be the Republic of China (a democracy that's known in the west by it's nickname "Taiwan"). So, "Made in China" could be either one - as a matter of civic pride, for lack of a better description, they both consider themselves to be the one true China. As I said, I've read that all of the FP and SVT rims were made in Taiwan.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, no, not really. "China" as the country of origin can be the People's Republic of China (mainland China, the PRC that's run by the CCP) or it can be the Republic of China (a democracy that's known in the west by it's nickname "Taiwan"). So, "Made in China" could be either one - as a matter of civic pride, for lack of a better description, they both consider themselves to be the one true China. As I said, I've read that all of the FP and SVT rims were made in Taiwan.
Everything I have that was made in Taiwan says “Taiwan”. Mainland stuff all says “China”. Also, Ford’s alternators are made in China. They have the nasty/dirty rare-earth stuff to make them there so we don’t have to handle those materials. BTW: This rare-earth dependency has been well known for a long time.
The world’s economy is very interconnected. Get used to it.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
This rare-earth dependency has been well known for a long time.
and something is being done about it. Well, if 11/3 goes one particular way that program will come to an immediate halt...

Buy MRR's wheels, why buy heavy factory wheels? Rotating is vastly overrated as it concerns longevity. Get a proper alignment will be far more beneficial. Buy the correct size rims for front and rear, and if you really think rotating is all that, then dismount/remount to 'rotate' them.

General GMax-AS or Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 are just as good for that kind of use case and cheaper.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I hope that you are are kidding?
Because otherwise it’s scary how misinformed you are
Sponsored