331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
Aside from the whoops.... did you elect to have track insurance or did you decline it (if that is an option at that track)?
It never came up. Was never asked about it by any track employees. I had thought about it prior to going but also figured I'm not someone who goes to the strip often, it's unlikely anything will happen, blah blah. Also, I had in my mind that it's a relatively unmodified car, at least compared to some out there. But this obviously is a poor mindset to have, for both points. 460 stock is still good power and I'm certainly above that with e85 and tuned. I say that partly for others like me who may have the same mindset. It's still enough power to get you into trouble if you're not prepared to handle it. I'm actually a pretty good driver, though everyone here probably doubts it now :cwl: but just goes to show you still have to be careful when exploring new limits or a different kind of driving.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Wonder how this would have gone had you had a supercharger. Glad you’re okay and the car too!
Wasn't me, I was just a spectator....

Prefo20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 and 2022 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Spun it when tires broke loose going into third I believe. A10, tuned e85, Roush exhaust. Oem PP1 pilot Sports at 22 psi.

First time ever at the strip. Lot to learn. Very lucky I kept it off the wall and very lucky the SRT got out in front of me so I didnt risk taking him out.

I think I just left a skid mark in my skivies watching that! Glad you didn't smash it. Nice recovery.

KnightStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT convertible
Glad no one got hurt, including you OP.:like:

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
That looks extremely reminiscent of the first time I put slicks on a car many, many years ago. Went too low on pressure and the car started to sway about 3/4 of the way down the track. It didn't come all the way around like that, but rolled the tire enough that the lip of the wheel scraped the track. Why that tire didn't come off the bead I will never understand, but that certainly would have put my car on it's roof.

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
close encounter of the turd kind

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Glad you recovered. Those stock PS4s cannot hook power at all especially with the added torque of e. Very first thing is tire consideration. Look into something like a Nitto 555rii. It's a streetable DR that can handle power but still dd duties like rain etc. Maybe get some practice launches in solo before next strip outing so you're more accustomed to its mannerisms. Start with advance trac on then move on to disabling it once you get a good feel for it.

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
Glad you recovered. Those stock PS4s cannot hook power at all especially with the added torque of e. Very first thing is tire consideration. Look into something like a Nitto 555rii. It's a streetable DR that can handle power but still dd duties like rain etc. Maybe get some practice launches in solo before next strip outing so you're more accustomed to its mannerisms. Start with advance trac on then move on to disabling it once you get a good feel for it.
the NT555RII was recommended to me and for the same reason that they can stick the power but also are street friendly. so there's two votes for that.

and yes, if i find myself on a strip again, i will leave advance trac on. i probably should have left it on as recommended by LSchicago. either way, it's going to have to wait until spring at the earliest. it's already into the lower 40's during parts of the day here in chicagoland.

Scuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I did the same thing in my 2008 Vortec charged GT...in the middle of the freeway. Floored it in third gear doing 50mph to change lanes- ended up on the shoulder facing the center divider... full on 270 degree spin.
Same luck though- could have been very bad but just ended up pulling back on the freeway and driving home.
It only takes once to learn that lesson :)

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Can someone explain the exact difference between drag and sport mode? Track seems to function and shift like sport but with the difference being track turns traction control off.

Drag seems to hit a lot harder and almost seems a little slower to shift but with a much harder kick. I've only used it a few times. Sport seems to aim to keep the engine in the upper end of the tach with the focus being on shifting as quickly as possible while keeping rpms in a fairly narrow range.

Drag mode has a distinctly different feel and i havent really used it enough to know exactly what it is.
I don't have drag mode on my car as it's just a base GT. However, I've found my best results is by turning TC off but leaving AdvanceTrac in Sport Mode. This apparently makes AdvanceTrac not as aggressive so you do have some wheel spin (chirping easily heard) but not enough to lose control. When I turned everything off, it was lousy; rear end swayed on launch and just spun the P-Zeros to no end (had really crappy 0-60 time due to the loss of traction). People say they don't want a "nanny" controlling when they drive, but with even the stock HP of this engine in a 3800 lb. car you still need some faster reacting "help" to avoid crashing it if you don't lift and just go pedal to the floor.

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
While I admire folks who drag race and track their Mustangs, I will just stay on the road and a few :wink: miles over the limit.

gregsdart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt a10 pp1 301 base
trust me, it was close on both accounts. the shorts and the wall. the afternoon could have gone far differently.
Your adventure points to an issue with pp1 Stang's. They handle well, but get out of shape and out of control easily for my taste. Blame it partly on my lack of performance driving skills I suppose. The torsen diff is unforgiving with even a small amount of power when making a low speed turn from a stop. But over all I love my 2019 pp1 10 spd. E85 and no cats, it's an animal. Ran 11.903 at 119.6 mph at BIR last year before cat removal, and it picked up quite a bit from catted. Stock PS4 tires

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
While I admire folks who drag race and track their Mustangs, I will just stay on the road and a few :wink: miles over the limit.
Same here! đźš—

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
I'll echo other folks saying glad it was "just" a scary Youtube not a Ouuuu Ouch! one. I've just picked up my 2020 GT PP1 and do want to take it to some track days, HPDE's next year. So I'm already wiser about how to treat my Twister Orange beast. Whew!
Sponsored