Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Yep, sure does. Even with all the nannies off. the other week I was going over a wet bridge goosing it a bit, no warning the azz end kicked out. Let off the throttle, no seesawing the steering wheel, everything was right as rain. Pun intended. Haha.
Exactly!
Sponsored

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
Yep, sure does. Even with all the nannies off. the other week I was going over a wet bridge goosing it a bit, no warning the azz end kicked out. Let off the throttle, no seesawing the steering wheel, everything was right as rain. Pun intended. Haha.
ive had this same experience as well every single time the rear started to kick out loose on me. until the strip, which is why i made the comment that i think i got caught up in the moment and was driving more aggressively than i normally had in the past, and this may have contributed to me failing to get off the throttle in time. maybe i also had a false sense of security, like "hey, im on a drag strip, not the street, ill have better traction, plus this is where we're meant to go balls out rather than the street..." and that could have played a role.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
ive had this same experience as well every single time the rear started to kick out loose on me. until the strip, which is why i made the comment that i think i got caught up in the moment and was driving more aggressively than i normally had in the past, and this may have contributed to me failing to get off the throttle in time. maybe i also had a false sense of security, like "hey, im on a drag strip, not the street, ill have better traction, plus this is where we're meant to go balls out rather than the street..." and that could have played a role.
I wouldn't worry about it too much. You & the car were unscaved. You'll get the hang of it eventually. Oh, and one thing about drag race tracks. They're prepped for race tires. Not street tires, no matter how 'sticky' the street tire is. Street tires will always do stupid shit on the track.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Lesson learned. Always lift when things get squirrely.

Back in the '90s, a bunch of buddies and I practically lived at the strip. One afternoon what I remember being essentially a Super Gas car (BBC Chevy Beretta I think) made a pass, broke traction, went wild, and ended up hitting the guardrail and ended up on its roof. Turns out a rod end in the 4-link broke, and he didn't lift when he should have. Getting out of the throttle would have been a far better outcome than the guy's car on its roof in the weeds and him getting hauled via ambulance to get checked out.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
mine is a 95, so also 302. now 331. stock it did i think 178 rwhp and over 250 rwtq. instant tq and then just shut down after 4500 rpm or so, definitely above 5k it was over. HCI woke it up a good amount but still very different than coyote 5.0, as you said.

ive had the exact same experience about launching it- hooking from a dig takes takes some care but after that, not really much concern about traction. it's getting an S-trim now though, so that will change.
You still have yours, then. I'm jealous. I threw a rod and just didn't have the time anymore. It sat for years before I decided it was time to sell. But that's what put me in my 2019 GT so it is what it is. The sn95s are so dang light. That's gonna be a lot of fun!

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Ive noticed this in this car for sure. Other day was playing with an Audi TT on the interstate, went to 4th with a goose and it was wet, car nose started going the wrong way. I always instinctively lift, and the car comes right back.
It is easy to save and it's gotten to the point where it's muscle memory for me. That's why I'm a big advocate of practicing with the nannies off. The nannies aren't perfect and having that experience beaten into the squishy bits between your ears is invaluable. I won't hesitate to admit how terrified I was the first few times I lost control of a RWD car. If someone overly relies on the traction control, and things go south, well... we have plenty of youtube videos and threads about that.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Repost from the Roush Thread.

I borrowed my sisters truck to elk hunt this last week and traded her my mustang. I thought about swapping back to my stock rims and tires so she didn’t scratch my custom rims because I thought, “she’ll never punch it.” Glad I didn’t because I was wrong. The custom rims have 555r2’s for reference. She had a gt350 antagonizing her so she floored it and dusted him from behind.

She is 50 and has never driven a car with over 350hp. Happy she doesn’t know how to change drive modes!! Thank God for TC! :)

I did explain to her she had to take driveways at an angle and not to wash my car!

she did call to ask why the tires were at 22 psi though :p

I guess there is a reason why the only person I let drive my car on street tires is my wife.. Car has a Roush P2 blower on it.

I got sideways at 70 on the track when stock with the MP4's and about SMP... Put the P2 on and tried some runs with the street tires... I don't recommend it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
we had a day of fine mist today. I had to drive places. If I had relied on the nannies I would have crashed.

Maybe this is a thing from driving muscle cars built in the 60's and 70's, we learned throttle control.

I hate throttle by wire.

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
You still have yours, then. I'm jealous. I threw a rod and just didn't have the time anymore. It sat for years before I decided it was time to sell. But that's what put me in my 2019 GT so it is what it is. The sn95s are so dang light. That's gonna be a lot of fun!
Sorry to hear yours is gone. I came close to dumping it on multiple occasions but I saved up to buy it for years and bought it when I turned 16. Cut lots of lawns in town as a kid to save up, ha. I lost a rod which took out my stock block. I already had the s trim waiting to go in so bit the bullet and got a DART block instead of another stock block. But funds are running low. Engine is ready to be dropped in but working on figuring out what engine management to use. Probably holley terminator x which isn't cheap.

Always something!!

Screenshot_20210611-084650_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20210611-084645_Messages.jpg

20200823_075239.jpg

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Can someone explain the exact difference between drag and sport mode? Track seems to function and shift like sport but with the difference being track turns traction control off.

Drag seems to hit a lot harder and almost seems a little slower to shift but with a much harder kick. I've only used it a few times. Sport seems to aim to keep the engine in the upper end of the tach with the focus being on shifting as quickly as possible while keeping rpms in a fairly narrow range.

Drag mode has a distinctly different feel and i havent really used it enough to know exactly what it is.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Lesson learned. Always lift when things get squirrely.

Back in the '90s, a bunch of buddies and I practically lived at the strip. One afternoon what I remember being essentially a Super Gas car (BBC Chevy Beretta I think) made a pass, broke traction, went wild, and ended up hitting the guardrail and ended up on its roof. Turns out a rod end in the 4-link broke, and he didn't lift when he should have. Getting out of the throttle would have been a far better outcome than the guy's car on its roof in the weeds and him getting hauled via ambulance to get checked out.
Wonder how this would have gone had you had a supercharger. Glad you’re okay and the car too!

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
It is easy to save and it's gotten to the point where it's muscle memory for me. That's why I'm a big advocate of practicing with the nannies off. The nannies aren't perfect and having that experience beaten into the squishy bits between your ears is invaluable. I won't hesitate to admit how terrified I was the first few times I lost control of a RWD car. If someone overly relies on the traction control, and things go south, well... we have plenty of youtube videos and threads about that.
I've said it a bunch here. This is my first powerful car, I spent a while getting used to it and pushing limits to get used to it. But a youth that consisted of go-kart racing on dirt and mud riding is invaluable to muscle memory when the nose points in the wrong direction LOL. I dont even think, it just happens.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Aside from the whoops.... did you elect to have track insurance or did you decline it (if that is an option at that track)?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I've said it a bunch here. This is my first powerful car, I spent a while getting used to it and pushing limits to get used to it. But a youth that consisted of go-kart racing on dirt and mud riding is invaluable to muscle memory when the nose points in the wrong direction LOL. I dont even think, it just happens.
For me, iced over and snow covered large parking lots offered a wealth of experience. I aced the emergency driving test.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Can someone explain the exact difference between drag and sport mode? Track seems to function and shift like sport but with the difference being track turns traction control off.

Drag seems to hit a lot harder and almost seems a little slower to shift but with a much harder kick. I've only used it a few times. Sport seems to aim to keep the engine in the upper end of the tach with the focus being on shifting as quickly as possible while keeping rpms in a fairly narrow range.

Drag mode has a distinctly different feel and i havent really used it enough to know exactly what it is.
Drag doesnt kill any power on shifts, not good at all on a road course because if you hit a shift in a corner with high throttle it will break the tires loose and if you have advancetrac disabled you will lose control and almost certainly leave the road, if advancetrac is on it will kick in. Track mode does illuminate the TCS off light, but TCS isnt actually off you can toggle the TCS off switch and it will say TCS off. Track and sport seem to kill enough power on shifts to be able to shift on sweeping corners with high throttle. Drag is basically for straight line only. If you add a whipple though all these modes seem way different and the tires just break loose in all modes during shifts and power is killed if advancetrack isnt off in all modes except track after you toggle tcs off switch in track mode. I think the modes may be affected by the tune you have too if you dont have a OEM tune.
Sponsored

Last edited: