Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
I am a bit puzzled how this happened. I have raced mine stock, tuned, supercharged and with stock tires and different brands of DRs. Yes, I have had it break traction plenty of times but it NEVER got squirrely like that. It almost looked like a mechanical failure of some sort.
Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
and not trying to make this a "he said this, but someone else told me that" type thing. i think LSChicago did give me pretty good advice. advice for someone who was there for their first time. it's certainly not his fault i chose to do something different.

i also feel like i'd be hesitant about going back without better tires though. i dont think ill do any more passes on these PS4S tires. i never really planned on getting into drag racing, and never really seriously considered purchasing another set of wheels/tires for the strip, and figured id give it a try this time as i had never done it before. seems like i should have been a little more cautious.
Your be OK with street tires, you just need to make adjustments.
Consider yourself ahead of the crowd, you've learned what some of us never do, in one easy lesson! Get back on the track today!!

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I am a bit puzzled how this happened. I have raced mine stock, tuned, supercharged and with stock tires and different brands of DRs. Yes, I have had it break traction plenty of times but it NEVER got squirrely like that. It almost looked like a mechanical failure of some sort.
It's not the break in traction, rather the reacquisition of traction. You can see when he gets off the throttle the rear left tire grabs...

So pedal the throttle when you are coming out of it.

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
no indication of any mechanical issues. actually at first, once i got it straightened out but before i was off the track, a safety guy came and talked to me and said i kept on the throttle way too long. i already had a feeling i had done this anyways but i also felt like something broke. it almost felt like a flat tire. i knew i did not hit the wall but thought maybe i blew a tire while spinning and got out to look. that's how the car felt to drive, for those 100 feet or so until i spoke with that guy. he must have assumed i thought i blew a tire, and that caused the spin, and kept repeating that i hung on the throttle too long. but i got out and checked and all tires/car was fine. drove off the track and it felt normal again.

i did shut it off and restart the car- maybe there was some "limp mode" or something like that due to the spin? either way, i still have no explanation for what made it feel like it was driving strange at first or what would cause the different driving feeling i observed.

Your be OK with street tires, you just need to make adjustments.
Consider yourself ahead of the crowd, you've learned what some of us never do, in one easy lesson! Get back on the track today!!
yes, i somehow learned what it's like to spin on a track without totaling my car, and for that i cant tell you how grateful i am. but im in no rush to repeat it. maybe ill give the strip another try next year after ensuring im a little better prepared.

It's not the break in traction, rather the reacquisition of traction. You can see when he gets off the throttle the rear left tire grabs...

So pedal the throttle when you are coming out of it.
i believe this is absolutely correct. i slowed the video down and watched it frame by frame to see how the balance of the car was shifting.

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
E85-tuned, Gen3, A10 in drag mode, on street tires at the track? Just asking to lick a wall. Damn good save though!

Sponsored

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Did you have advancetrac completely disabled?

When I was NA I could have just the TCS disabled and spin for hundreds of feet if I wanted to if I stayed straight enough and advancetrac would never kick in. If I was losing it advancetrac would kick in. After I got whippled though for some reason I either have to totally disable advancetrack to run it in drag mode without killing power on shifts, or use Track mode then toggle TCS off (even though TCS light is already illuminated in track mode I still have to toggle it off and it says TCS off when I do.)

Id recommend trying to run with just TCS off in drag mode and see if it kills power on shifts or not, if it doesnt kill power on shifts there is no reason to totally disable advancetrac and it will save you before you lose it if you atleast try to point the car where you want to go.

From what I can tell from the video you stayed in the throttle for too long and also most likely overcorrected when it was spinning.

I learned how to keep it spinning straight for like a solid 1/8th mile while keeping advancetrac on, it would only kick in if you over correct basically .

Ive also lost my shite though but that was only with TCS and stabilitrack(gm version of advancetrac) completely disabled and in a CTS-V , ended up hitting a pole at 45 mph

XjdjD1u.jpg

Mustangs stability control is very unintrusive and wont kick in unless you need it.
sorry to see this, assuming you were ok at least, obviously not the car. my car could easily have looked pretty messy.

i had traction off, advance trac on for one run and i thought power was being cut. maybe it wasnt though and maybe there was something else going on or i simply wasnt familiar enough.. i had the shifter in D, selector switch/mode in drag. maybe the extra hard shift from it being in drag mode contributed to the loss of traction? still not an excuse though, i still should have reacted more quickly instead of staying in power so long.

i swear, sometimes i think it was easier launching my SN95, no traction control, advance trac, different modes, etc. just pop the clutch at whatever rpm and go. then again that was 305 rwhp and not 400 plus. not sure exactly what my car is making with the mods ive done but 430- 450 wheel doesnt seem out of line for e85 tuned with catback.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
sorry to see this, assuming you were ok at least, if not the car. my car could easily have looked pretty messy.

i had traction off, advance trac on for one run and i thought power was being cut. maybe it wasnt though and maybe there was something else going on or i simply wasnt familiar enough.. i had the shifter in D, selector switch/mode in drag. maybe the extra hard shift from it being in drag mode contributed to the loss of traction? still not an excuse though, i still should have reacted more quickly instead of staying in power so long.

i swear, sometimes i think it was easier launching my SN95, no traction control, advance trac, different modes, etc. just pop the clutch at whatever rpm and go. then again that was 305 rwhp and not 400 plus. not sure exactly what my car is making with the mods ive done but 430- 450 wheel doesnt seem out of line for e85 tuned with catback.
They're different animals. Mine spun from a dig but after that it had no issues. I had the 302 so, even with full H/C/I, it didn't build power anywhere like the coyote. Nothing about that car's power band would catch you by surprise. By comparison, torque on the coyote keeps piling on until around 4.5k so if you have a little bit of spin early, and don't correct, it's only going to get worse. Even if I'm not spinning initially, my back end has a tendency to want to swing out around 4.5k because of all the torque that hits. Scared the crap out of me the first time I did it, in 2nd gear, when my back end popped loose and I was going about 40+ mph. Nothing at all like I was used to with my sn95.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Drag mode does shift so hard that it busts the tires loose at 40+ on the street, I wouldnt expect a NA GT to break loose on a sticky drag strip though, maybe there was a spill of some type of fluid in that lane? But yea, get some DR's and skinnies it should be a lot safer and also faster, when I was NA I couldnt even spin DR's in first on the street.

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
They're different animals. Mine spun from a dig but after that it had no issues. I had the 302 so, even with full H/C/I, it didn't build power anywhere like the coyote. Nothing about that car's power band would catch you by surprise. By comparison, torque on the coyote keeps piling on until around 4.5k so if you have a little bit of spin early, and don't correct, it's only going to get worse. Even if I'm not spinning initially, my back end has a tendency to want to swing out around 4.5k because of all the torque that hits. Scared the crap out of me the first time I did it, in 2nd gear, when my back end popped loose and I was going about 40+ mph. Nothing at all like I was used to with my sn95.
mine is a 95, so also 302. now 331. stock it did i think 178 rwhp and over 250 rwtq. instant tq and then just shut down after 4500 rpm or so, definitely above 5k it was over. HCI woke it up a good amount but still very different than coyote 5.0, as you said.

ive had the exact same experience about launching it- hooking from a dig takes takes some care but after that, not really much concern about traction. it's getting an S-trim now though, so that will change.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
When This starts, and rear is going past point of no return 35* or more sideways, pull up a little on the parking brake, dragging the rear brakes will pull it back to straight, you don't want to pull up on the parking brake enough to lock up the wheels, just to add rear brake drag.
With this s550 mustang still having a mechanical parking brake and hand lever in center console it is easy to do.
Also works on snow.

Even if you go to far and flat spot the tires, that is better than a pancaked car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
Drag mode does shift so hard that it busts the tires loose at 40+ on the street, I wouldnt expect a NA GT to break loose on a sticky drag strip though, maybe there was a spill of some type of fluid in that lane? But yea, get some DR's and skinnies it should be a lot safer and also faster, when I was NA I couldnt even spin DR's in first on the street.
ive had it kick loose before on the street in drag mode and sport mode. i wasnt expecting it to get as loose on the strip as easily because 1) the strip surface compared to street and 2) i did heat up the tires on the strip and not on the street. i did not go crazy with a burnout, as i did not think the street tires would benefit as much from it. i mostly wanted to clean all the shit off of them and get a little heat in them.

not that i have any immediate plans to put it back on the strip with these tires but just out of curiosity, what would be recommended burn-out wise for street tires such as the PS4S on a strip? maybe if not for me but for someone else reading this and thinking about putting theirs on.

as mentioned, there was a spill on the track earlier but i dont really have any reason to believe that it caused my spin or seriously contributed to it. i think the spin was all on me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
When This starts, and rear is going past point of no return 35* or more sideways, pull up a little on the parking brake, dragging the rear brakes will pull it back to straight, you don't want to pull up on the parking brake enough to lock up the wheels, just to add rear brake drag.
With this s550 mustang still having a mechanical parking brake and hand lever in center console it is easy to do.
Also works on snow.

Even if you go to far and flat spot the tires, that is better than a pancaked car.
yep. i had half a moment of thinking "shit, i blew a tire, now i have to buy new tires..." but this was soon eclipsed by "well shit, at least im driving the car home and not taking it away in a pile of metal on a flat bed..."

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
yep. i had half a moment of thinking "shit, i blew a tire, now i have to buy new tires..." but this was soon eclipsed by "well shit, at least im driving the car home and not taking it away in a pile of metal on a flat bed..."
Rule number 1 of any type of racing, never race something you are not ok with wrecking and being fine with it.
It is the reason, one of my vehicles doesn't get tracked, but I do drive it hard. but on a track you tend to go all in, and I could never replace it, so the vehicles that you can just go buy another, fill that itch.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
1st off, glad you are ok ! However, i didn't see a 'save' per say. I see a lot of luck and to much over correction. Also, 'lift is life'.. start to spin, lift off the gas. Not trying to be a smartass but you said first time at the track so I'm just pointing out what not to do. Namely overcorrect and staying in it when spinning the tires.
Ive noticed this in this car for sure. Other day was playing with an Audi TT on the interstate, went to 4th with a goose and it was wet, car nose started going the wrong way. I always instinctively lift, and the car comes right back.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I always instinctively lift, and the car comes right back.
Yep, sure does. Even with all the nannies off. the other week I was going over a wet bridge goosing it a bit, no warning the azz end kicked out. Let off the throttle, no seesawing the steering wheel, everything was right as rain. Pun intended. Haha.
Sponsored