Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Damn, good recovery. I did a 180 the other day on the launch, scared me. Went straight home, wasn't going that fast yet but got lucky as well. The guy I staged with had wanted to run solo, just happened that way otherwise would have been ugly.
Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Did you have advancetrac completely disabled?

When I was NA I could have just the TCS disabled and spin for hundreds of feet if I wanted to if I stayed straight enough and advancetrac would never kick in. If I was losing it advancetrac would kick in. After I got whippled though for some reason I either have to totally disable advancetrack to run it in drag mode without killing power on shifts, or use Track mode then toggle TCS off (even though TCS light is already illuminated in track mode I still have to toggle it off and it says TCS off when I do.)

Id recommend trying to run with just TCS off in drag mode and see if it kills power on shifts or not, if it doesnt kill power on shifts there is no reason to totally disable advancetrac and it will save you before you lose it if you atleast try to point the car where you want to go.

From what I can tell from the video you stayed in the throttle for too long and also most likely overcorrected when it was spinning.

I learned how to keep it spinning straight for like a solid 1/8th mile while keeping advancetrac on, it would only kick in if you over correct basically .

Ive also lost my shite though but that was only with TCS and stabilitrack(gm version of advancetrac) completely disabled and in a CTS-V , ended up hitting a pole at 45 mph

XjdjD1u.jpg

Mustangs stability control is very unintrusive and wont kick in unless you need it.

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
1st off, glad you are ok ! However, i didn't see a 'save' per say. I see a lot of luck and to much over correction. Also, 'lift is life'.. start to spin, lift off the gas. Not trying to be a smartass but you said first time at the track so I'm just pointing out what not to do. Namely overcorrect and staying in it when spinning the tires.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
WH nailed it.

If you had lifted you would not have ended up pointed at the start line. You got lucky.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
First hit at the track? Try a solo run next time.

Best advice I can give is run your own race and forget about the other car. Looks like you were getting gapped by an SUV and you just stayed in far too long.

Glad it turned out OK - you got lucky!

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
You stayed off the wall and no matter how you did it, it took talent!!
But, you can help guys like me (without lighting reflects), stay out of trouble, by sharing what went wrong!??
Street tires, track prep, horsepower, stock suspension, etc.
I've eliminated my wheel spin with drag radial tires and drag shocks. And proper tire warming on prepped tracks.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
But, you can help guys like me (without lighting reflects), stay out of trouble, by sharing what went wrong!??
I've eliminated my wheel spin with drag radial tires and drag shocks. And proper tire warming on prepped tracks.
Spun and didn't pedal it. When he got off it the tires hooked back up and upset the car's geometry which led to oversteer.

Also, if you lock up the front wheels braking hard, the car won't steer. Again, when traction comes back the car will go where the wheels are pointed. Then you are just all over the place and can't react fast enough.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Did you have advancetrac completely disabled?

When I was NA I could have just the TCS disabled and spin for hundreds of feet if I wanted to if I stayed straight enough and advancetrac would never kick in. If I was losing it advancetrac would kick in. After I got whippled though for some reason I either have to totally disable advancetrack to run it in drag mode without killing power on shifts, or use Track mode then toggle TCS off (even though TCS light is already illuminated in track mode I still have to toggle it off and it says TCS off when I do.)

Id recommend trying to run with just TCS off in drag mode and see if it kills power on shifts or not, if it doesnt kill power on shifts there is no reason to totally disable advancetrac and it will save you before you lose it if you atleast try to point the car where you want to go.

From what I can tell from the video you stayed in the throttle for too long and also most likely overcorrected when it was spinning.

I learned how to keep it spinning straight for like a solid 1/8th mile while keeping advancetrac on, it would only kick in if you over correct basically .

Ive also lost my shite though but that was only with TCS and stabilitrack(gm version of advancetrac) completely disabled and in a CTS-V , ended up hitting a pole at 45 mph

XjdjD1u.jpg

Mustangs stability control is very unintrusive and wont kick in unless you need it.
I was there earlier that day, and advised him not to disable advance track. I did explain why to just turn traction control off, and leave Advance track on. I believe he just thought it might help so he tried it. Thankfully it was at Byron, which used to be a 4 car wide track when built. If it was at GLD, he probably would've kissed the wall. Live and learn.

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
I was there earlier that day, and advised him not to disable advance track. I did explain why to just turn traction control off, and leave Advance track on. I believe he just thought it might help so he tried it. Thankfully it was at Byron, which used to be a 4 car wide track when built. If it was at GLD, he probably would've kissed the wall. Live and learn.
yes, you did recommend that. several other people recommended turning traction control and advance trac off. i was on the fence about it because one of my runs i felt that advance trac cut power. in reality i probably did not fully understand how these systems work and it was probably something else, and not advance trac at all. bottom line, though, is im the one who ultimately decided what to leave on and what to turn off (everything in this case 😬 ) so im responsible for what happened. next time, ill stick with your advice about traction off, advance trac on. seems to be advice that was on point.
street tires with this power level probably is part of it. part of it is pure inexperience. ive gotten the rear loose before many times and let off the throttle right away and had the car settle right back down immediately with no drama. i dont know why i was on the throttle too long this time. my best guess is it was a heat of the moment/slow reaction to it spinning, and certainly over correction as already mentioned here. it all happens so quickly, it's hard to recall exactly what i did and did not do, but the consensus from everyone who saw it in person, and everyone who has now seen the video, seems to be i held on the throttle too long and over corrected. that was my initial thought while i was still on the track facing the wrong way but there was a lot going through my head at that moment as well.

track prep, i cannot comment on, i dont know enough about it. there was a spill earlier and it was on my lane but they spent a lot of time cleaning it. also a handful of other cars went down the track after the spill but before me, faster cars than me, without any issues. so i really doubt track prep was an issue. i believe it was all user error on my part. i am on completely stock PP1 suspension, non magnaride. only thing ive done to the car is roush x, roush axle back, and livernois tune with e85. rear PS4S tires as mentioned.

so my only advice is to follow what others here have already said, lol. i think it boils down to i finally got what i felt was going to be a good run and got caught up in the moment, got too aggressive with the throttle and not backing off when i should have. i think that's what it boils down to.

First hit at the track? Try a solo run next time.

Best advice I can give is run your own race and forget about the other car. Looks like you were getting gapped by an SUV and you just stayed in far too long.

Glad it turned out OK - you got lucky!
i dont think i was concerned about getting gapped by the SUV or racing him, per say. i had slow reactions at the light on all my runs and did a fairly good job of focusing on my car and my lane. better than i had expected to be honest. but that doesnt mean it still couldnt have played a role.

1st off, glad you are ok ! However, i didn't see a 'save' per say. I see a lot of luck and to much over correction. Also, 'lift is life'.. start to spin, lift off the gas. Not trying to be a smartass but you said first time at the track so I'm just pointing out what not to do. Namely overcorrect and staying in it when spinning the tires.
i dont think you're being a smart ass, no offense taken, trust me. i didnt post this to get butt hurt over criticism, i wanted to get feedback and maybe prevent myself from doing it again or let other people learn from my mistake before doing it themselves. i realize i got very lucky, not everyone will.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
When my Ecoboost Mustang was bone stock with street tires, I ran 24 psi in the rear and I would still get a little wheel spin going from 2nd to 3rd with my A10 in drag mode w/ advance traction off. Surprising that a Coyote on E85 doesn't spin the tires all the way down the track. Excellent Save!! Good Driving!
I ran 22 psi in my P Zeros when stock and got consistent 1.87 60' times. When I went E85 I had to have drag radials to stop the spinning. Now that it's boosted, I stepped up the tires again to a TALL ET Street R.
244749381_10157877046511580_5792687404027440677_n.jpg

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
You could try some autocross to get more comfortable with car control. It’s fun and with fewer hard things to hit.

i like the idea of fewer hard things to hit, that sounds very appealing right about now, ha!

OP
OP
331GT

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
and not trying to make this a "he said this, but someone else told me that" type thing. i think LSChicago did give me pretty good advice. advice for someone who was there for their first time. it's certainly not his fault i chose to do something different.

i also feel like i'd be hesitant about going back without better tires though. i dont think ill do any more passes on these PS4S tires. i never really planned on getting into drag racing, and never really seriously considered purchasing another set of wheels/tires for the strip, and figured id give it a try this time as i had never done it before. seems like i should have been a little more cautious.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
street tires with this power level probably is part of it. part of it is pure inexperience. ive gotten the rear loose before many times and let off the throttle right away and had the car settle right back down immediately with no drama.
There is a whole science, concerning tire technology, which I don't fully understand. Yet I've learned how to fill my tires grip during heating (burn out). I've told that to much heat, can even make certain tires slip, while not enough heat can cause the same problem with other tires. When my son started racing, I would de-tune his car, to help him learn the basics.
I did the same thing to myself when I purchased my Mustang new, I ran my car, factory stock, for the first two NMRA events, then started turning up the wick, as the season progressed.
Sponsored