Sponsored

sport mode select

theredmeadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2020 Mustang GT PP PP1
So here's a dumb question but I can't seem to find info on this.

Is it safe to shift into Sport mode while driving or do you have to come to a complete stop?

In the manual it says to come to a complete stop before shifting into Sport mode. But, I've watched many reviews and they show them shifting into Sport while driving?
Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
It's perfectly safe. I shift in and out of Sport mode several times per drive, depending on where I am at, how loud I want my exhaust to be, how aggressive I feel like driving, and if I'm going to be cruising at the same speed for a while. Typically I'll be in Drive on the way to town (highway) and in Sport mode while in town (lots of red lights). You can shift back and forth as often as you like.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
So here's a dumb question but I can't seem to find info on this.

Is it safe to shift into Sport mode while driving or do you have to come to a complete stop?

In the manual it says to come to a complete stop before shifting into Sport mode. But, I've watched many reviews and they show them shifting into Sport while driving?
You can do it while moving without any major issues. Plenty of folks do it. At high speeds you won't really notice much difference as the car would be in 5th/6th gear anyway. However at slower speeds the sport mode is likely going to drop you down a gear as it's now prioritizing power and pick-up vs. economy. So it might feel weird as you're going to feel a bit of a jolt and hear the engine rev as it goes down.

As a little precaution I wouldn't do it at WOT as the drop in gear combined with WOT might put you at the rev limiter really quick if it's not something you're accustomed to. I think this is probably why the manual states to do it from a complete stop. But if you're cruising in traffic and decide you want to go commando, knock yourself out as it's not really any different than just hitting the downshift paddle while in normal mode.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
It's fine. I have been doing it since Day 1.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Stay out of Sport mode or you'll get a ticket :headbonk:

Sponsored

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I can switch from S to D while driving just fine. I wonder if there is any diff driving in D mode with sport mode on vs just driving in S mode? I know with S mode i have a sports +.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I asked this awhile back as well, no problems, shift from D to S modes at your hearts content at any time, when entering the expressway I shift from D and S and it really gives you the extra ommph to get up to speed quickly, then when I am crusing along I shift back to D.

TC :)

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Stay out of Sport mode or you'll get a ticket :headbonk:
LOL, I can attest to that! First speeding ticket I've gotten in 10 years was not too long after I got my S550, and was in sport mode.

OP
OP
theredmeadow

theredmeadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2020 Mustang GT PP PP1
LOL, I can attest to that! First speeding ticket I've gotten in 10 years was not too long after I got my S550, and was in sport mode.
it's very very difficult to drive the speed limit in these cars

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I switch in and out of sport while driving all the time. Sometimes my tires just really piss me off and I want to see them suffer so I'll throw it into s and hard pull from every stop light.

Damn tires....

Sponsored

ranger56528

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Race Red. Black 95 GTS. 98 Red base v6.
I do it when I come to a stop sign or light when in town then when I get out of town I bump it into drive,since I put the PedalCommander on I stay in drive now,it keeps me out of trouble or should I say keeps me out of more trouble.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Gas mileage goes to hell fast in sport mode also......
You're not kidding Hahaha. I went through have a tank of gas doing a spirited drive on what's probably a 30 mile back road. I'd say 8 gallons for 30 miles is pretty solid haha

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Yeah I've had my car a month and I was putting it in Sport Mode all the time and doing burnouts all over the place. So much fun but then I got a ticket 77 in a 55. I'm keeping it in normal mode for now.

Trying to reprogram my brain and drive like a normal person but ...It's really hard in this car :headbonk:
Sponsored