Sponsored

Sport Cup 2 Tire life

KS10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350R
Well, I can confirm that the track life expectancy of the GT350R Sport Cup 2's is one track weekend at best ([8] 25 min sessions) if you are driving around 8 or 9/10ths. I started out with 28 psi cold and would finish each run around 36psi and pushed the car close to the limit most every lap, but shy of the point where I would experience understeer in an effort to preserve the front tires the best I could. The tires stick like glue, but they sure don't last long. They had 1000 street break in miles before this event this past weekend. The only thing I can think of to have slightly improved their life would be to change my factory alignment to the OE track recommended settings which I will do before the next event. Although I am a bit disappointed to not get more life out of the tires the car was fantastic and a pure joy to track!
IMG_6460.jpg
IMG_6461.jpg
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
That's good to know thanks

*edit* silly question how do you know those are done? The lack of tread?

Last edited:

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Nice to hear of folks using these cars as they were intended. Someday (Q4 allocation :frusty:) when I get my 17R, I plan to keep it at the track. :D

Can I ask where did you track your R?

Can't tell from your pix, how was the wear across the tread? I assume uneven due to your comment re track alignment.

:cheers:

OP
OP
KS10

KS10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350R
Nice to hear of folks using these cars as they were intended. Someday (Q4 allocation :frusty:) when I get my 17R, I plan to keep it at the track. :D

Can I ask where did you track your R?

Can't tell from your pix, how was the wear across the tread? I assume uneven due to your comment re track alignment.

:cheers:

Barber Motorsports Park. The outside half of the tire with the softer compound was worn fairly evenly with the exception of the outside shoulder which showed the most wear. There was a fair amount of inside tread left which I believe is a little bit harder compound than the outside. The challenge I had is knowing when the tire is actually worn out. It was not quite down to the wear bar in the center and still had really good grip, but it sure looked to me like the cords were going to be showing on the shoulder if they had another session run on them.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
The grooves on that outer tread are not nearly as deep as the rest of the tire. You probably still have another day in them, although this is tough to tell without a pic of the whole tire. With -2 camber your fronts will last longer. You will need camber plates though.

Sponsored

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like they're beginning to grain.

The tire in the pic, is it a front? If so, did it push a little? Because that would explain the graining.

OP
OP
KS10

KS10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350R
Looks like they're beginning to grain.

The tire in the pic, is it a front? If so, did it push a little? Because that would explain the graining.

Pic is of the left front which takes the most abuse at Barber. It really didn't push much. I didn't take it easy on them, but kept it below the threshold of pushing through every turn. Barber is pretty hard on tires with several off camber sweeping right hand turns, but I was really expecting to get two weekends out of these tires and it was a stretch to get one.

jakermc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
There was a fair amount of inside tread left which I believe is a little bit harder compound than the outside.
The Sport Cup 2 tires do have a bi-compound. The outer tread is described as a "high molecular chain" elastomer for both better wear and increased dry grip. The interior is more rigid and designed for better steering response and control. The outside shoulder is also reinforced for longer life on the track.

Brand new tread depth is 7.2/32, which is actually 1.5/32 more than the old Sport Cup tire.

Besides being a experienced racer I am also a Michelin dealer. I'd be happy to set the members of this board up with tires if they are interested, I can typically save you a bit of money versus TireRack.

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
The Sport Cup 2 tires do have a bi-compound. The outer tread is described as a "high molecular chain" elastomer for both better wear and increased dry grip. The interior is more rigid and designed for better steering response and control. The outside shoulder is also reinforced for longer life on the track.

Brand new tread depth is 7.2/32, which is actually 1.5/32 more than the old Sport Cup tire.

Besides being a experienced racer I am also a Michelin dealer. I'd be happy to set the members of this board up with tires if they are interested, I can typically save you a bit of money versus TireRack.
Very interested to hear the tirerack comment, please pm quote for 4 305/30/19 psc2 shipped to 14305
Thank you

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350

So what are your thoughts on the life left in this tire? Also, would you artifically heat cycle this tire with the service tire rack offers?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
What camber settings did you use? Your wear would be vastly improved with new camber plates and about -2deg camber.

I ran the crap out of my soft R compound tires that had a lower tread rating (80) than the cup 2's. I got 12 - 30 min sessions (3 days, 4 sessions a day and the tires are half shot.

Of course track to track, driving variables will effect tire wear, but your wear is not what could be expected had you installed camber plates and re-aligned your suspension.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Barber KILLS LF tires. Add more camber on the LF and maybe leave the RF alone. Tire temps will help you dial in your alignment and Barber will direct you toward quite a camber stagger.

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Just replaced my tires this week. Had about 8 20 min track sessions an 2800 miles on the car. I also just installed camber plates in hopes of getting more life out of them. Rears had some more life left but I had a flat so I changed out all 4.

theman1990

1 arm, 4 cars, 0 autos
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech, GT350R
I was gonna mention that Barber shreds tired like no other, too....

OP
OP
KS10

KS10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350R
What camber settings did you use? Your wear would be vastly improved with new camber plates and about -2deg camber.

I ran the crap out of my soft R compound tires that had a lower tread rating (80) than the cup 2's. I got 12 - 30 min sessions (3 days, 4 sessions a day and the tires are half shot.

Of course track to track, driving variables will effect tire wear, but your wear is not what could be expected had you installed camber plates and re-aligned your suspension.
Alignment was the way it left the factory to get a base line. I really want to leave this car in 100% original form and don't want to add camber plates if don't have to, but I am pretty sure I won't be able to get enough negative camber without them. I guess I can always take them off and go back stock down the road if need be. My tire budget will surely thank me if I do.
Sponsored