Sponsored

Sport Cat Back Exhaust that sounds good Top UP/Down : Corsa Sport vs Borla S-Type vs Ford Performance Sport

Most Versatile Cat Back exhaust (Extreme or Quiet) ZERO Drone

• Corsa Sport

• Borla S-Type

• Ford Performance Sport

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

toplineS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deep Impact Blue Premium Convertible GT
2016 GT Premium Convertible

Long time reader, first time poster because I can't find a answer to "this" specific question for convertible owners. Very appreciative for all the information in this forum in helping me lean towards these three options!

Cat back:
Corsa Sport
Borla S-Type
Ford Performance Sport

After much research, I definitely want to go cat back for that overall tuned exhaust tone. I had the Magnaflow Street cat-back on the list for a bit, but have since removed it due to repeated reports of drone in the 2-2.5 rpm drone zone. I had a Roush Extreme Cat back on a 2008 GT coupe, and don't ever want to experience that drone going up hills again lol! Although, my understanding is S550 don't drone as much compared to the 3 valves. (I also loved that Roush exhuast and driving that car, besides the drone).

My criteria is this.

A. I really want to hear my exhaust and enjoy that "sound/feeling" experience I got from whipping around the the 2008 GT Roush Cat Back
but..... (TOP PRIORITY)
B. also want to be able to do critical music listening while driving since I use my car to reference mixes, so basically when I'm not romping on the throttle, or "trying" to be loud, it would be nice if I can hear a decent mix of say at least 70/30 Music/Exhaust (or better) when it's time to focus on music. (SECOND PRIORITY)
C. I want something that will not be stupid loud with top down. I don't necessarily care about conversation when top is down, as that's the best time to enjoy the exhaust and a nice summer day! I just don't want the volume with top down to be ear deafening. I.E. I want to drive with top down since that's why I got a convertible lol. (WOULD BE NICE)

I see that Borla and Corsa pride them selves in no "drone", but my understanding is that no drone, doesn't correlate to "loudness"; and that you can still very much hear a louder exhaust with the top up at all RPM ranges. From what I read, supposedly Corsa is the best at having your exhaust be quiet/ish when you want it to be, and Borla is right there close second.

Active exhaust seemed like an option as I was closely looking at the Armytrix Valve Tronic and Quicksilver Sound Architect for more affordable/ish active options. I just am not thrilled about the idea of having a significant failure point should the "active component" ever have issues. Seems like a pain in the rump waiting to happen. Also, the wiring to get into the cabin dose not seem fun and could be pricey finding someone qualified to do it the right way.

Before this turns into a book, I just quickly wanted to say that I'm open to all sounds. I thought originally I was an H pipe guy, but am loving the X pipes as well. Also it seems H pipes can contribute to more actual "drone" tones. Drone is my enemy lol. Drone is not good for critical listening.

One last thing, the "touring" options from Borla seemed intriguing at first but I really don't think I would be happy with that long term and will always question if I should've bought a more aggressive system. There is no better feeling that driving under a bridge with an exhaust you love lol! With that said, I would be open to exploring that if I get feedback from others who have went that option in a similar situation.

Honestly, I'm just happy and lucky to be a Mustang S550 GT owner. Everyone's input and opinion regarding their set up's and sound experience with listening to music and top down, etc.. are very welcome!

I am open to other options too, but with the brace, fitment etc....I'd rather roll with these two reputable companies at the moment and am enjoying the sound clips from the studio monitors!

P.S. I've been so obsessed with this I even edited two videos because there doesn't seem to be good A/B clips out there.

Borla Comparisons: Ford Performance and Borla Flagships

Axle Back Comparisons
Sponsored

OP
OP
toplineS550

toplineS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got a Corsa Sport Cat Back system. This month they are having a discount if you buy direct from their website. I guess Corsa has the volume in the cabin thing on point from what I've seen everywhere. We'll see!

DolomiteGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertable
I voted for Borla. I love the deep tones they make. For me I will be installing the Borla Switchfire Resonator delete along with a set of the Borla S Axle Backs this spring.

OP
OP
toplineS550

toplineS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I voted for Borla. I love the deep tones they make. For me I will be installing the Borla Switchfire Resonator delete along with a set of the Borla S Axle Backs this spring.
Nice! I heard those switchfires and they sound incredibile in the videos. I'm sure you'll be 100% happy with that set up! S-type AB also were on my list. Your exact set up crossed my mind a few times actually. Please feel free to respond once set up! Enjoy.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Not sure if you could swap in the factory Ford tunable exhaust but if you could, just ditch the factory resonator and add a Steeda H pipe. You will not be disappointed…Sounds amazing! A stellar exhaust note with the option for being quiet when necessary to rowdy when desired.

Sponsored

392lightning

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
When I had Steeda install the suspension components on my 2017 they recommended the Magnaflow system. I could not be happier with the tone of the exhaust. With the top up there isn't any kind of drone that would drive you nuts.

OP
OP
toplineS550

toplineS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got the Corsa Sport Catback installed and so far it is exactly what I want! Its pretty much an active exhaust. Hit gas when you want to hear it, cruise when you want to listen to music. I know this sounds crazy, but it sounds/feels like there is less drone in 1-2k rpm drone zone than the factory exhaust! Theres a reason its expensive! Deffinately get what you pay for.

Randy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt convertible
Which Magnaflow I added the Roush H pipe and am looking for a little more noise.

392lightning

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible
The information on my invoice from Steeda says:
Magnaflow Street Cat Back 263 19100.
That part number shows up in a search on Steeda website.

Keep in mind that a supercharger changes the exhaust note and tone versus stock.

Kenbike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO Mustang GT convertible loaded
I have a 2015 supercharged auto convertible with Stainless works header, cats, and Borla touring set up. Note Ford exhaust I think is made by Borla.
It is loud when driving around town under anything but mid acceration. At heavy or WOT it is loud but does sound great. Note the supercharger I estimate caused the sound to be 25% louder.

Sponsored

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Cyber orange looks sweet with your setup!

Do cops love the sound of this exhaust?

Keithfro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cyber orange looks sweet with your setup!

Do cops love the sound of this exhaust?
So far no problems with the law, but I feel like I'm jynxing myself writing this. Also, this is orange fury but seems very close to cyber orange, have yet to see side by side.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, would love to see them side by side.

wusthof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt vert
Hey guys....starting research on 2018+ mustang gts. Came across this thread and might add the AWE catbck as well. It sounds absolutely fabulous without too much rasp. Good lluck
Sponsored