Sponsored

Spied: 2015 Mustang Mule Engine Bay Revealed (with Coyote V8 5.0)!

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
We've gotten our first look under the hood of a 2015 Ford Mustang Mule, revealing not only its engine, but also some interesting signs of repackaging that could point to some aspects of the the next Mustang.

The engine bay on this 2015 Ford Mustang Mule reveals notably tighter confines than the current model. The current Mustang's engine bay is essentially a square, with room available for components to be found from corner-to-corner. The engine bay found on this 2015 Mustang Mule shows structural elements that pinch noticeably between the wheel wells and the grille-opening. Instead of the rather blunt, squared-off nose of the current Mustang (which is mirrored by the shape of the engine bay), the 2015 Mule suggests that a more shapely front fascia could be in the works. Take a look at the angled headlights of Ford's Evos concept--which span between the front wheel arches and the grille--and compare that to the new shape of the engine bay found on the 2015 Mule, and the similarity is instantly apparent.

There has been speculation as to whether the futuristic Evos concept foreshadows a more modern styling direction for the 2015 Mustang, or if the retro theme found on recent models will continue to dominate. These new shots of the mule's reshaped engine bay may give us some clues that point to some real Evos influence in the next Mustang's design.

It appears that Ford's 5.0-liter V8 powers the 2015 Mustang Mule in these shots. While any material, performance-enhancements are tough to discern on this test vehicle, it's clear that this mule's pinched engine bay presents some packaging challenges. The cold air induction boxed has been reshaped, and had to be rerouted due to the tighter confines. Similar changes are visible throughout the engine bay.

The smaller engine bay could pose problems for a new-generation Shelby GT500--at least one like the current version powered by the massive 5.8-liter, Supercharged V8. A motivated Ford could certainly find a way to fit it all in--if they're determined to stick to the classic, over-the-top muscle car formula. But an Ecoboosted 5.0-liter Coyote V8 might make more sense, now that we see how the 2015 Mule is shaping up underneath the current model's body panels.

As we've proven by past photos (also included here), the next Mustang will definitely get an independent rear suspension, and a range of turbocharged four-cylinders are likely as Ford pursues better fuel-economy, and a new global customer base.

MustangMule.co1.KGP.ed-2199324072-O.jpg

MustangMule.co2.KGP.ed-2199324382-O.jpg

MustangMule.co3.KGP.ed-2199324455-O.jpg

MustangMule.co4.KGP.ed-2199324683-O.jpg

MustangMule.co5.KGP.ed-2199325208-O.jpg

MustangMule.co6.KGP.ed-2199325211-O.jpg

MustangMule.co7.KGP.ed-2199325499-O.jpg

MustangMule.co8.KGP.ed-2199325748-O.jpg

MustangMule.co9.KGP.ed-2199325814-O.jpg

MustangMule.co10.KGP.ed-2199325864-O.jpg

MustangMule.co11.KGP.ed-2199326192-O.jpg

MustangMule.co12.KGP.ed-2199326314-O.jpg

2015Stang.susp01.KGP.ed-2199345933-O.jpg

2015Stang.susp02.KGP.ed-2199346231-O.jpg

2015Stang.susp03.KGP.ed-2199346211-O.jpg

EVOS CONCEPT (showing future Ford design language):

FordEVOSConcept_MakingOf_01w-2199339218-O.jpg

Some recent 2015+ Mustang renders:

2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-photo-481617-s-986x603.jpg

2015-ford-mustang-artists-rendering-photo-481618-s-986x603.jpg
Sponsored

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
I love it, the mule has a trailer hitch.

MPACT

Wow that looks real cramped compared to the current car. And what's up with that redline? Can't be true??

JackHoya

I love it, the mule has a trailer hitch.
Read on another forum that someone tried to hitch their trailer to their GT. Sounds like the opposite of a good idea, but looks like it can be done LOL.

As a vette owner I gotta say I hope the Evo concept is the design direction that Ford is going with. The retro look works for some, but love how sleek the modern design is. If those renderings are anywhere close to what the s550 will look like.. consider me converted. :D

Sponsored

groundnpounder

Here's a pic of the S197 engine compartment against the S550's

Much tighter on the S550

pre-pshopmustang.jpg
engine comparison.jpg

groundnpounder

As a vette owner I gotta say I hope the Evo concept is the design direction that Ford is going with. The retro look works for some, but love how sleek the modern design is. If those renderings are anywhere close to what the s550 will look like.. consider me converted. :D
Yet another possible GM convert! Great to see. You probably own an older Corvtte - C4/C5?

The Evo concept is great and all but you know what I don't like, how all the new Fords basically share the same Aston Martin style grille.

Krishna

The Evo concept is great and all but you know what I don't like, how all the new Fords basically share the same Aston Martin style grille.
While we're at it, sure wouldn't mind it if the Stang took some cues from the Shelby GR-1 concept. One can dream can't he? :p

That is one sexy beast!

BenH

This is an interesting comparo image. Heres what I noticed.

• Structural support beam moved behind headlight
  • Strut tower is angled back and not as upright as on the S197
  • Firewall hangs over the back of the engine
  • Engine sits lower than in S197 (lower center of gravity :clap2:)

JackHoya

Nice comparison. I hope you're right about the engine sitting lower. Combine tthat with a lighter frame and IRS and the next stang should be quite the corner cutter.

Sponsored

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Nice comparison. I hope you're right about the engine sitting lower. Combine tthat with a lighter frame and IRS and the next stang should be quite the corner cutter.
But but but... Mustangs aren' supposed to handle well! :eek:

MustangMarine

Interesting shots. Here's what I'd like to see for an engine lineup

Base mode: V6 (3.7L)

SVO model: Ecoboost 4 cyl and 6 cyl options.

GT model: 5.0L and/or 5.8L Coyote V8

Boss 351: 5.8L Coyote with DI

GT500: Ecoboost 5.8L Coyote!

Melino

It's a nice wish list but 4 engine options? They may offer some combination of these in different regions but doubt we see all 4 in any one part of the world. The least likely would be the Eco 6-cyl. I do think the GT should get an upgrade to a higher displacement v8, perhaps the 5.4L (BTW, the coyote engine is the 5.0L). I think the 5.8 "trinity" engine would be a big upgrade... with a lighter chassis, that should be more than enough to surpass the 6.2 of the fatter SS.

That would leave enough upgrade room for a 5.8L EcoBoost (dreaming big here) for the GT500 which would be an awesome Mustang halo car. The hard part will be waiting a few years for the GT500 and not pulling the trigger on the 2015.

Oblivion/2

Yep yep, we been hearing rumors of a Eco Coyote in the gt500 for a while now. I think the ford execs reactions says it all... TT Coyote comin' boy!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/13/rumormill-ecoboost-v8-ford-shelby-mustang-in-the-pipeline/
"When General Motors introduced LS3 V8 a few years back, it was noted by many that the intake manifold looked suspiciously like it was designed with forced induction in mind. We've heard similar rumors about the Coyote."

That part is most telling... even without these rumors it just makes sense. The 5.4 is getting up there, and they are making a massive push for EcoBoost. it only makes sense for them to revamp the engines along with the design. Going to be a BIG one for Ford next year.
Sponsored