Sponsored

Speeding Ticket via Laser from Moving Cop Car Approachin me?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Traffic tickets? Those are so 30 years ago. The police are so busy running calls now there’s no time there pull people over anymore.
Sponsored

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
Traffic tickets? Those are so 30 years ago. The police are so busy running calls now there’s no time there pull people over anymore.
Well, the OP said he can cut "50% off" an 8 hour drive... with the average speed limit of 70 mph in the USA on highways, that's incredible. Cannonball Run driving there. And he claims to do it "safely". Ha ha ha....

My recommendation is to save money on a radar detector... put that money in stocks or bitcoin.

What I'd do is figure out why I need to drive so fast... fix that issue. Then I would commit to not driving over 10 mph of the speed limit. If I need to get there in a hurry, I'd fly.

Was it a couple of months ago they got the guy in VA on camera speeding past and wrecked into a family car killing them. Many cars these days have cameras (especially Teslas).

To answer the original question: I'd hire an attorney... I've lived all over the US and know each state has different laws.... and the laws change... an attorney will help. Heck, many times you can call and give them quick details and they can let you know your chances for free.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well, the OP said he can cut "50% off" an 8 hour drive... with the average speed limit of 70 mph in the USA on highways, that's incredible. Cannonball Run driving there. And he claims to do it "safely". Ha ha ha....
Let's be honest, most speed limits can be exceeded perfectly safely. 70 mph on highways may have been safe in the 1920s, but in 2022 it's absolutely stupid.
Speed limits and tickets have nothing to do with safety; they're all about raising money.

What I'd do is figure out why I need to drive so fast... fix that issue. Then I would commit to not driving over 10 mph of the speed limit. If I need to get there in a hurry, I'd fly.
It's not about hurrying. It has nothing to do with time. It's just that it's extremely tiring and frustrating to force yourself to drive slower than you feel would be reasonable and comfortable for that road, given those traffic conditions.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Let's be honest, most speed limits can be exceeded perfectly safely. 70 mph on highways may have been safe in the 1920s, but in 2022 it's absolutely stupid.
Speed limits and tickets have nothing to do with safety; they're all about raising money.
I think you highly overestimate ability to drive of US population which is very very low. This isn't germany when you hardly ever see anyone on a left lane, much less ever a truck. Here we routinely have semis on every single lane, people texting, driving under the limit on the left lane completely oblivious to everyone around them and so on.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Uhm, the facts say otherwise. Every single study I perused with just a short google search (including DOT and NHTSA) absolutely says vehicle accidents and deaths increase as you increase speed.
Let’s be honest, you’re reaching for excuses based on your personal feelings…but they don’t match the real world.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Uhm, the facts say otherwise. Every single study I perused with just a short google search (including DOT and NHTSA) absolutely says vehicle accidents and deaths increase as you increase speed.
Of course. If we stayed at home and stopped driving, there would be no more accidents.
Why 70 mph? Let's make it 30 mph on highways and 5 mph in cities, and then send all offenders to prison for twenty years. Nobody will ever die in a car crash again, guaranteed.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Of course. If we stayed at home and stopped driving, there would be no more accidents.
Why 70 mph? Let's make it 30 mph on highways and 5 mph in cities, and then send all offenders to prison for twenty years. Nobody will ever die in a car crash again, guaranteed.
You can argue this way but Evolvd is right and it's all about balancing safety and reasonable speed limits at which you can commute at reasonable pace. You have to remember not everyone is an enthusiast, not everyone has the driving skill (I am repeating myself) - especially in US, bar to get a license (at 16 years old in most states) is incredibly low compared to Europe (for a reason).

Look at the pile ups we regularly have here when weather gets just slightly worse - on those 70 mph highways. Also, russian dashcam videos on Youtube....

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Let’s be honest, you’re reaching for excuses based on your personal feelings…but they don’t match the real world.
Yep.
Increased speed -> Reduced distance to react -> harder stop. If you have to speed, you at least have to wait for the ideal circumstances, which I do.
I think you highly overestimate ability to drive of US population which is very very low. This isn't germany when you hardly ever see anyone on a left lane, much less ever a truck. Here we routinely have semis on every single lane, people texting, driving under the limit on the left lane completely oblivious to everyone around them and so on.
Major reason I drive in the middle of the night/early mornings--I don't have to deal with that BS.

And I agree with kz. Not everyone would have the reasonable skill to think "I can't maintain the speed limit on this turn, I have to slow down before I reach it." Hence why you often see tire marks or damaged bits of grass on fairly sharp turns with barriers/run offs.

Now if the speed limit were increased... yikes.
The only place I can think of raising the speed limit to even 100 would be on the crazy long, straight roads you'd often find out of the city limits/countryside.

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Cop was moving at minimum 70 mph (speed limit).
Can radar acquire a vehicle speed that quickly? He rounded a corner and had my speed within a tenth of a second.

Happened to me in the middle of Ks. rt.36 this summer.
I believe the two state trooper vehicles were on the way back from the nearby state pen and we both crested opposite hills at the same moment my detector sounded. He spun around instantly and I knew it was my time. Polite though and could have been worse. Paid the $250 by mail. First one since 2012.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Beware the Dump Truck.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
When you get on a freeway and traffic is running 80 and the speed limit is 55 you know it is for revenue.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Depending on your State's Traffic Court system, you can usually approach the Public Defender and ask for a reduction to a non-moving violation - which would prevent any license points and insurance premium increases - but may cost a little more out of pocket up front...

The other thing is - if you contest it yourself or with a Lawyer, sometimes you can ask for calibration history of the device used to nail the supposed speed. If the device has not been calibrated in some time, that's a plus for your defense.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Always fight it, then drive chill for the year or so afterwards. Even if paying the ticket isn't a big deal, once your insurance company sees that conviction for triples, you're screwed.
Sponsored