Sponsored

Speeding Ticket via Laser from Moving Cop Car Approachin me?

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I was hit with a laser going 100+ by a cop driving in the opposite direction, on the other side of the road. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think that's even possible? Do I have any chance to fight it?
Was thinking of getting one of those speeding ticket lawyers off the adverts you see at the end of VinWiki.
Sponsored

Mitch03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
I was hit with a laser going 100+ by a cop driving in the opposite direction, on the other side of the road. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think that's even possible? Do I have any chance to fight it?
Was thinking of getting one of those speeding ticket lawyers off the adverts you see at the end of VinWiki.
he has to be stationary. He can not be moving.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
If he was rolling, then it wasn't laser, it was radar.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I am no expert at getting speeding tickets (I think the last one I got was about 1996) but the equipment that LE has nowadays is pretty sophisticated. I know that on a divided highway near my home CHP regularly makes U-turns in the median to provide driving awards to folks attempting to break the sound barrier.

Hey, fight it if you feel like you need to spend the time and money to do so. Or, if you are truly innocent. If not, and you are the only one who knows unless you had a passenger(s) in the car with you, take it like a man and own it. It is not the end of the world. I have spent enough time driving and seeing the consequences of people making bad choices which is one of the reasons that I will not race on the street. I would suggest that when you feel the need for speed take it to the track and then brag till the cows come home.

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If he was rolling, then it wasn't laser, it was radar.
Cop was moving at minimum 70 mph (speed limit).
Can radar acquire a vehicle speed that quickly? He rounded a corner and had my speed within a tenth of a second.
I am no expert at getting speeding tickets (I think the last one I got was about 1996) but the equipment that LE has nowadays is pretty sophisticated. I know that on a divided highway near my home CHP regularly makes U-turns in the median to provide driving awards to folks attempting to break the sound barrier.

Hey, fight it if you feel like you need to spend the time and money to do so. Or, if you are truly innocent. If not, and you are the only one who knows unless you had a passenger(s) in the car with you, take it like a man and own it. It is not the end of the world. I have spent enough time driving and seeing the consequences of people making bad choices which is one of the reasons that I will not race on the street. I would suggest that when you feel the need for speed take it to the track and then brag till the cows come home.
Nah, I do fully accept it, the Texas cops here are extremely cool with it if you speed w/o traffic around.
I would just like to knock down the license points if I can.
I routinely take trips (8 hours) in the middle of the time, and can manage to cut down time by 50% (but to keep things "safe," I go in the middle of the night, quite literally zero traffic on the backroads I use).

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Radar speed acquisition is fast. The tricky cops will roll with the unit in standby without broadcasting a signal. This prevents detectors from sounding a warning. Then they'll press the button and get an immediate speed reading.

Hifiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 Mustang
Radar speed acquisition is fast. The tricky cops will roll with the unit in standby without broadcasting a signal. This prevents detectors from sounding a warning. Then they'll press the button and get an immediate speed reading.
The only time I got a ticket was this way.

Invest in a Uniden OP

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Wow, fancy :p
Guess I'll probably have to get my hands on a police scanner/radio, if that even will help at all xD
The only time I got a ticket was this way.

Invest in a Uniden OP
Something like this? Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Phase II Digital Police Scanner (bearcatwarehouse.com)

Hifiguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1 Mustang
Wow, fancy :p
Guess I'll probably have to get my hands on a police scanner/radio, if that even will help at all xD

Something like this? Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 Phase II Digital Police Scanner (bearcatwarehouse.com)
Lol I would go for something like this personally, but an older Uniden R7 or R3 will do just fine for half or even a third of the price.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/uniden-r8-radar-detector-black/6503863.p?skuId=6503863

Out of curiosity, did the ticket say what method of acquisition your speed was captured at?
If it said Lidar or laser that would be grounds to fight in court IF you have proof he was actually moving when he was getting your speed.

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Lol I would go for something like this personally, but an older Uniden R7 or R3 will do just fine for half or even a third of the price.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/uniden-r8-radar-detector-black/6503863.p?skuId=6503863

Out of curiosity, did the ticket say what method of acquisition your speed was captured at?
If it said Lidar or laser that would be grounds to fight in court IF you have proof he was actually moving when he was getting your speed.
Ah, thank you.
Guess I'll grab one of those--kind of surprised I didn't even bother to get one until now.

Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
This isn't true, modern systems use the cops vehicle speed in the calculation and can nab your speed while moving.

It happened to me too

Whether or not they're supposed to be stationary by some law...I dont know that answer, but the system is capable of grabbing speed while in motion.

OP
OP
MidnightStars

MidnightStars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This isn't true, modern systems use the cops vehicle speed in the calculation and can nab your speed while moving.

It happened to me too

Whether or not they're supposed to be stationary by some law...I dont know that answer, but the system is capable of grabbing speed while in motion.
The reason he can't is because the operator has to aim & fire the laser at the vehicle he wants to get the reading from, and he has to specifically aim at the headlight/taillight, or license plate.
And by aim, it's aimed quite literally like a gun. There is a scope with a (fixed?) zoom, aimed at one of the points above, and fired.

Can't quite do that properly and drive. Radar's the only one where you can + don't have to aim like a laser, since it fires off a massive area of radar waves.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
Like Evolvd sed, Get a lawyer and let them fix it.

I dunno what Texas laws are but I'd hazard a guess your ticket is just like here in NC, more of a Revenue generator than punishment.

My niece got popped for 90 in a 70 here in NC and they dropped it to a non moving violation.

Here's the rub on that, She could've paid the speeding ticket and it would've been $185, The non moving violation was $285.

Straight up state sponsored robbery but better than losing her license for 30 daze for anything 20 over here in NC. But since she had no other tickets, She could've went to court and got it dropped to 9 over. No insurance hit for that here in NC if it's your only license points.

As far as the LIDAR, they don't have to be stationary for it to work, whether the law sez they have to be is a different question.

And no RADAR/LIDAR detector is going to save you from a POP, where the device is turned on when he has you sighted and you are the only car around.

And no device will save you from LIDAR, since it's line of sight, It's simply a ticket notification device at that point.

Sponsored