Sponsored

Speed Phenoms GT500 has clutch overheating problem on drag strip pass

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Stayed on launch control rpm limiter (2-step) too long.
Also may have been affected by a long burnout.
Nothing serious.
-J
Anyone familiar with the Focus/Fiesta DCT will not be surprised by this "issue" that showed up in this kids video (especially those in San Francisco). More likely to happen in the Focus/Fiesta since that is a dry clutch though (and because those vehicle's transmission were tuned to try and emulate a fluid-coupled automatic).

The message is simply a safe-guard in protecting the DCT clutches when they slip too much and get near a threshold that Ford has determined the integrity of the clutches could begin to be compromised if slip (and therefore heat) continues.

There is nothing wrong with the car or the transmission - "Move along"
Sponsored

Furiosa GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
The Palm Beach Dyno car went into limp mode just recently MULTIPLE times from the clutch over temp issue.

OP
OP
obspsd

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
The Palm Beach Dyno car went into limp mode just recently MULTIPLE times from the clutch over temp issue.
Yes I saw that. Probably mostly something to do with the tune he loaded.

DPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
1968 Shelby GT350 Hertz,2017 Raptor,2017 Shelby GT350R,2017 Focus RS,2018 SHO,2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale
This just happened to me about 30 minutes ago on a cold car just pulling out of the garage. Went into limp[ mode then stuck in 4th then got the clutch overheat box. Can’t get it out of fourth Manual mode. Nor will move at all in reverse.

Any ideas gents

Sponsored

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
This just happened to me about 30 minutes ago on a cold car just pulling out of the garage. Went into limp[ mode then stuck in 4th then got the clutch overheat box. Can’t get it out of fourth Manual mode. Nor will move at all in reverse.

Any ideas gents
Did you use the bleach box to prep the tires before leaving the garage on drag radials, or just do a hole shot on cold street tires?

Seriously, I'd guess that's an electrical gremlin. To have that develop on a cold driveline doesn't suggest a hydro/mechanical issue.

DPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
1968 Shelby GT350 Hertz,2017 Raptor,2017 Shelby GT350R,2017 Focus RS,2018 SHO,2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale
No hole shots yet. She’s not broke in. Only 400 on her.

Now the 350R i have is a different story. That machine loves drifting. Good luck with your new baby Scott. She’s a monster. When you can drive it with all nannies off and swing it around like a toy then and only then would more HP be needed. I have both and I love them for different reasons totally.

dealer is picking up tomorrow morning via flatbed as she wont move forward or backward.

JeremyPro5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 & 2018 GT350R
Yes that’s for sure.
GAPPED, SERIOUSLY.
THAT REALLY HAS TO BE THE WORST UNDERSTATEMENT I HAVE EVER HEARD ON THE WEB.

If all you do is gap a dodge at the road course, let your mom drive for you.

Those cars get lapped not gapped.

They do have their place but the chassis and handling just aint there.

Back to random warnings. I had multiple wrench lights come up with no codes and no understandable reason a while back.
A few weeks ago, I had the car throw a CEL and go limp mode due to a bad oil sensor.
Once locating one (national back order) and replacing, no issues at all. Maybe the wrench light was the car having intermittent bad signals from the Oil Pressure Sensor??????

These cars have tons of electronics and systems to help keep them from ripping themselves apart. Must be fun for tuners to figure that whole mess out, or they just bypass the whole thing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DPGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
KB and those interested. The outcome is trans replacement.
This should be interesting. Hopefully there is a second gen with any flaws they have found along the way.

Has anyone seen a thread with paint issues? As in cracking paint on hoods where there is loaded up clear coat. If not Ill have to start a thread. Probably effects cars with painted stripes.

P.S. It’s either paint cracking (over 2.5” long) or the hood is cracked.

Buckwampum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (which replaces my 2011 GT500, which replaced my 2002 Z06)
KB and those interested. The outcome is trans replacement.
This should be interesting. Hopefully there is a second gen with any flaws they have found along the way.

Has anyone seen a thread with paint issues? As in cracking paint on hoods where there is loaded up clear coat. If not Ill have to start a thread. Probably effects cars with painted stripes.

P.S. It’s either paint cracking (over 2.5” long) or the hood is cracked.
Wow, how can the trans be pooped when you were still coddling the motor during break-in at 400 miles? That is not good. Now I suspect contamination or a trans component defect. This situation is starting to feel like the Voodoo engine failures, where there is no post-failure diagnosis because the dealer is not allowed to do an autopsy.....

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Wow, how can the trans be pooped when you were still coddling the motor during break-in at 400 miles? That is not good. Now I suspect contamination or a trans component defect. This situation is starting to feel like the Voodoo engine failures, where there is no post-failure diagnosis because the dealer is not allowed to do an autopsy.....
Because major defects are most likely to show up early. Its a Tremec unit so I'm sure they will want it for a tear down. I wouldn't get all freaked out about it. It sucks, but thats what warranty is for. :)

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Is it surprising a brand new level car has problems with the new parts? Love the new car but as with any changes teething problems are to be expected.

These is no telling how many changes take place between Job 1 and 2 cars on a new model like this. I expect Ford to quickly get most of these problems figured out. Hope they get you car fixed in short order.
C8 uses the same DCT im pretty sure. And I've heard of a few failures. Inevitable on new products really
Sponsored