Sponsored

Speed Phenom is selling his GT500 CFTP...

m3bs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36M3 Tracktoy
I'm currently tracking a ZL1 1LE. All in, I figure it's a $2000 per day habit with that car, and it weighs 400 pounds less than the 500. I get where he's coming from. Besides the cost, there's the hassle of not knowing if you can make it through a weekend on a new set of tires, having to chase gas between sessions, etc. The tires are so big I can't carry a spare set with me, so it's pretty much a $1600 set of tires per event. How about the hassle of dealing with weekly tire changes on those fancy carbon wheels? I'm about 1/2 second faster in the ZLE than I am in a 26 year old M3 track car that will go twice as long on tires that cost half as much. Mazman has a point about the Miata. A well driven one can embarrass a lot of high HP, high $$ cars.

Been there, done that. My ZLE is now up for sale, too.....
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Iā€™m pretty sure thereā€™s a fair amount of us on this forum that are very familiar with how a business and right offs work.
I absolutely agree. I also know there are plenty that donā€™t understand this.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'm currently tracking a ZL1 1LE. All in, I figure it's a $2000 per day habit with that car, and it weighs 400 pounds less than the 500.... My ZLE is now up for sale, too.....
I can personally attest to two things here. First, m3bs can haul the mail regardless of what he's driving. Second, the ZLE is a beast. Here's his car next to mine at Roebling Road a month or so ago...

IMG_7971-Edit-X2.jpg

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

Then the answer is simple, don't track any kind of car. If you can't afford tires and gas, let alone other consumables, then you shouldnt dabble in something you can't afford.

Maybe when he sells, he will be able to move out of mom and dad's basement.

Edit to add:
No, not really. I track my GT350R and at the end of a 3 day weekend, I go through a set of tires, 2 sets of brakes, trans flush, diff flush, oil change, and i have to fill the tank after each session. So no. Its not much more than running a GT350R.
How long are these sessions that you go through 2 sets of pads???

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
3 days, 4 sessions a day, so 12-30 min sessions. Oh, and the rotors start to crack a bit too.

So lets run down the list..... All do it yourself pricing
Instructor track fee ....$600, normally $1,350
Insurance.......................... $600
case of oil...........................$100
oil filter..................................$18
transmission fluid.........$25
differential fluid..............$60
friction modifier.............$15
Castrol SRF........................$80
Sport Cup 2 tires...........$1,500
fuel (12 gallons x 12)....$500

Im sure Im forgetting stuff, but if I was a non instructor the DIY expenses for all the consumables would run $4248. If you do what the kid does and take it to the dealership to do all that work, you could probably add about another $400 or $500 to the cost. With the instructor discount its $3498. Now keep in mind, people who ask for rides usually mean more sessions and more gas consumed. So the above numbers are only for me based upon not giving rides.

Edit to add:
I forgot to add 2 sets of front brake pads and a set of rear. Add about $600. Alignment, add another $200. So grand total for a weekend is $4298/$5048

Last edited:

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
3 days, 4 sessions a day, so 12-30 min sessions. Oh, and the rotors start to crack a bit too.

So lets run down the list..... All do it yourself pricing
Instructor track fee ....$600, normally $1,350
Insurance.......................... $600
case of oil...........................$100
oil filter..................................$18
transmission fluid.........$25
differential fluid..............$60
friction modifier.............$15
Castrol SRF........................$80
Sport Cup 2 tires...........$1,500
fuel (12 gallons x 12)....$500

Im sure Im forgetting stuff, but if I was a non instructor the DIY expenses for all the consumables would run $4248. If you do what the kid does and take it to the dealership to do all that work, you could probably add about another $400 or $500 to the cost. With the instructor discount its $3498. Now keep in mind, people who ask for rides usually mean more sessions and more gas consumed. So the above numbers are only for me based upon not giving rides.
GGorA....Nobody rides for free!
My age showing.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
here were my comments on the video

Unfortunately I think it's more about views weakening for this car since he rung out the other one. It's sad that he has to throw the car under the bus to cover up about the real thing and it's youtube revenue. I have watched many of his videos and he's done some questionable videos to get the clicks. I agree with many that it's also about eyes for another the latest and greatest get clicks. Why do you think he went out of the way to get the black car. Strike when it hot that's the YouTube way

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Its simple, His views on youtube have tanked, Especially on the GT500 content. He didnt buy this car for his own personal interests, He bought it for content/views and having a $120k car only getting 15-30k views on the videos he makes with it brought him back down to reality real quick. He isnt making shit for money from youtube on this car. Now he will do what every one of these "car youtubers" do and buy the next hot item to milk for content

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Its simple, His views on youtube have tanked, Especially on the GT500 content. He didnt buy this car for his own personal interests, He bought it for content/views and having a $120k car only getting 15-30k views on the videos he makes with it brought him back down to reality real quick. He isnt making shit for money from youtube on this car. Now he will do what every one of these "car youtubers" do and sell it to buy the next hot item to milk for content for a few months.
Now that makes sense. I hope he gets away from Ford and we never have to endure his click bait child nonsense.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I smell a commercial opportunity - lease vehicles to YT'ers for 6 month or 12 month terms.

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
Iā€™m going to put money down that he is going to try to get the new EV Hummer. Itā€™s getting a lot of hype and is 6 figures. That guarantees YouTube click bait. Maybe snag a Bronco first while he waits.

Bangarang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Iconic Silver GT 500 (L0545), 2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 Honda Accord Coupe EX-V6 6-Speed
4" drop kit on the bronco, 20x10 wheels shod with Supercar3. Comes in 10 seconds/lap slower than his GT500. Oh the clicks!!
Clicks on YouTube are getting the latest greatest vehicle first that has a lot of hype. The Bronco and Hummer serve a large audience and would achieve both. The Kid might become an off road Hero. Regardless, who cares? We have our own community here with people that are keeping their cars and are invested in them working together to have fun and help each other out.
Sponsored