Sponsored

Speed Phenom is selling his GT500 CFTP...

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I haven’t read ”all” of the responses here but I’ve read enough. I’ve met Austin and was at Willow Springs the first sessions. He’s a good young man for sure. He has talent and a future on the track in my far from professional opinion. That said, he needs some mentors to help him along the way. Tomster made some really good points and would be a good mentor. To bad you guys are so far apart geographically.
Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You can tell he likes his GT350R better for track use. Nothing wrong for that.
I wouldn't care if he preferred a three wheeled bicycle equipped with a basket, horn and safety flag. He draws no ire for preference here.

If you watched the two segments of his I linked, you see quite a contrast in his opinion where he goes from one extreme to another, harping on something he's known all along - the car is rather obese and that doesn't bode well for tire life. Especially when the car gets pushed to the limits, repeatedly.

The rant seems out of character for him in the context of the numerous videos he's done in support of the car. To me, I sense there is something else driving his change of heart. The love affair is over and he's ditching the fat girl he once adored.

MadMax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 Antimatter Blue GT500 CFTP
At the end of the day it his decision and agree with Epiphany that it seems to be something else that he may not want to share. Life changes and situations do as well. Regardless he got to experience both vehicles the base and the cftp and that is something a lot of people will never have the opportunity to do so. I got to experience the base 500 and now I’m going to experience the 350R very soon and also feel very fortunate. From the videos I’ve watched he does seem to enjoy the 350R more on the track but that is just my opinion.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wouldn't care if he preferred a three wheeled bicycle equipped with a basket, horn and safety flag. He draws no ire for preference here.

If you watched the two segments of his I linked, you see quite a contrast in his opinion where he goes from one extreme to another, harping on something he's known all along - the car is rather obese and that doesn't bode well for tire life. Especially when the car gets pushed to the limits, repeatedly.

The rant seems out of character for him in the context of the numerous videos he's done in support of the car. To me, I sense there is something else driving his change of heart. The love affair is over and he's ditching the fat girl he once adored.
Maybe he was cut off? Again, there is more to this story.

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
Is it possible the car scared him ? it’s probably unlike anything he’s driven before. I haven’t tracked mine but I can’t imagine what this would be like at full throttle coming out of a corner.

Some thing is up for him to pull the plug so soon after his purchase. Maybe someone tightened his purse strings.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I can understand the expense part can be a little surprising and it does add up quick...but he has 3 track cars right?? He knew this was coming with the added weight and power. I mean I came home from my last track day thinking about miatas and C5s.

Unfortunately, the video did exactly what he wanted, as we are all here talking about it lol.

Unclepetey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
GT500
The car is fun but it’s no track weapon, simply too heavy. This is obvious and complaining about it is silly and shows a lack of maturity on this kid‘s part. Get a Miata, learn how to drive and go from there.

I track my GT3RS and 488, after time in a Radical, they feel like boats, can’t imagine what the Shelby with an extra 1000 pounds would feel like.

Agree on fuel tank being too small though, major oversight by Ford.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Tracking cars is massively expensive I couldn't imagine tracking a car more expensive than the gt350.

Track insurance on a 120k car is what 600 to 800?

My sense was he didn't like the driving dynamics of the car(enough) once the tires were past their peak and realized it was not a car he could afford to track.

Im sure he has a heavy payment as well.

Last edited:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Watched this video last night. The kid is correct it is absolutely ridiculous that this car can't make it through more than one track session without 2k worth of tires being garbage at the end, nevermind the 4 - 5 tanks of fuel. This is a 117K Mustang Ford.
It's 4200 lbs and has 760 hp. What the heck did you expect?

Sponsored

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
Re-read my first sentence in full.
I did. Several times. And yes you are. Go back and what some videos on his channel. The Guy can drive. Period.

From my understanding, and again I’m going by his videos, the channel is self supporting. He didn’t get “cut off” as some
Suggest.

too many people on this thread are giving their own two cents which with little or no context. If you don’t aggressively track a 500 CFTP car then you can’t speak with any authority on the subject. Some of you have even suggested that he can’t drive and should go back to a Miata first which is also laughable.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Tracking cars is massively expensive I couldn't imagine tracking a car more expensive than the gt350.

Track insurance on a 120k car is what 600 to 800?

My sense was he didn't like the driving dynamics of the car(enough) once the tires were past their peak and realized it was not a car he could afford to track.
I used to (humorously) refer to a HPDE as a “$1,000 weekend.” (Spousal unit heard me say that once...she was not happy. :explode: )
A few years ago, that increased to a “$2,000 weekend”
The GT500 is a “$3,000 weekend.”
COTA = $995 + 250 garage
Track Ins = $488 ($75K value)
Hotel = $250
Tires =
Brakes =
Gas = $200
Food =
Fill in the blanks and you are over $3,000

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I don't know diddly about tracking a car and have no brain cells left for extra data. :cool:

That said, I would think that the kid's times would speak for themselves when it comes to his expertise behind the wheel.

And, it wouldn't surprise me if the boy grew up on video racing games. <smiling>

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I used to (humorously) refer to a HPDE as a “$1,000 weekend.” (Spousal unit heard me say that once...she was not happy. :explode: )
A few years ago, that increased to a “$2,000 weekend”
The GT500 is a “$3,000 weekend.”
COTA = $995 + 250 garage
Track Ins = $488 ($75K value)
Hotel = $250
Tires =
Brakes =
Gas = $200
Food =
Fill in the blanks and you are over $3,000
I worked it out to 900 to 1000 a day. That is with SC2 that are old stock and 200 each AND a square setup so I can rotate them.

I can understand the expense part can be a little surprising and it does add up quick...but he has 3 track cars right?? He knew this was coming with the added weight and power. I mean I came home from my last track day thinking about miatas and C5s.

Unfortunately, the video did exactly what he wanted, as we are all here talking about it lol.
What is wrong with people making money for content?

I think the simple answer is he did not like the car "enough" for the expense. It seems like people start tracking go for the power and eventually start thinking about weight and consumables. My track friends in civics use a tank a day :cwl: :cwl:
Sponsored