Special order vs buy from dealer stock?

B Gordon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Yellow 2015 GT
Since I want a basic GT, automatic, in Yellow, with no other options besides spare tire and jack it feels like some dealership within 100 mile might get one early on and save me the trouble and wait of special ordering.

My question.
Is there a way yet to check what individual dealerships have on order for retail sales other than special orders?
Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Just save yourself the trouble and order one now

FiveLiterDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You won't even be scheduled till after 9/11/14. If you are willing to take extra options or leave some of those options or colors off then I say go for it. The chances you will find exactly what you want nothing more nothing less are not very good. You can go around and ask individual dealers what they have ordered they may or may not tell you. Otherwise there is no way to no for sure until its on the lot in the dealer inventory.

MikeAZ

DIB Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Since I want a basic GT, automatic, in Yellow, with no other options besides spare tire and jack it feels like some dealership within 100 mile might get one early on and save me the trouble and wait of special ordering.

My question.
Is there a way yet to check what individual dealerships have on order for retail sales other than special orders?
It's a lot of work, but you can use the http://www.cotus.ford.com site to view orders if you know the VIN. COTUS shows the color, options, and dealer. Currently assigned production VINs end in about *5300410 through about *5311400. For a GT coupe the first part of the VIN will always be 1FA6P8CFxF where the x is the check digit that you will have to calculate or guess (Alton's VIN Calculator will help you calculate it). Note that the VIN numbers for a given sequence number can also be an EcoBoost or a V6 model so you won't get a hit on those unless you change the correct part of the VIN (P8AM for V6, P8TH for EB - but EBs don't currently show upon COTUS).

The first one hundred or so (*5300410 - *5300510) are assigned to NY and NJ dealers. It may take you many. many hours to find one at a dealer close to you that fits your requirements. Be aware that any you find may already be spoken for.
Sponsored