zero_chance

Dismember
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JD
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
https://www.autoweek.com/news/future-cars/a32651480/ford-bronco-and-mustang-could-become-brands/

Source: Ford Bronco and Mustang Could Become Their Own Sub-Brands
SUVs, sedans, coupes, convertibles are all possible in the Ford Icons group.

May 25, 2020

We sure have been bombarded with rumors and hints about Ford’s upcoming Bronco, and the Mustang Mach-E, for that matter.

Officially Ford is still saying it’s “too early” to talk Bronco details, but sources tell Autoweek the company is looking at turning both the Bronco and the Mustang into sub-brands, offering several models each, under what’s being called the Ford Icons group.

“We have to leverage what we’re good at,” a source told Autoweek. “What are we good at? Mustangs and trucks. Mustang is a niche product with a great legacy. We need to expand on that legacy. More Broncos is a no-brainer.”

Our spies tell us we’ll see the larger Bronco first and, in fact, we probably would have seen it at the canceled Detroit show. We’d previously heard Bronco production was supposed to start mid-July but was pushed to early September due to COVID-19. Our sources say production is now scheduled for the end of August. Whenever the Bronco drops, expect the smaller one a few months later.

There are two- and four-door versions of the larger, body-on-frame Bronco, sharing a platform with the Ranger pickup. The smaller Bronco Sport is probably a rugged-ish unibody crossover, and could spawn a pickup truck that might be called the Maverick. Engines range from 2.0-liter fours to a 2.3-liter turbo-four, and maybe Ford’s 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6, with horsepower ranging from somewhere in the 200s into the 300s. The racing version is called Bronco R.

Our sources say eventually Broncos will come in two- and four-door form with EV and hybrid versions down the road.

Same with the Mustang. A source told Autoweek everything is on the table.

“Who knows what the timeframe is in this COVID atmosphere we’re in but yeah, we’re looking at more EVs, hybrids, sedans, crossovers, coupe EVs, convertible EVs, rear-drive, all-wheel drive, you name it. There’s probably going to be a fistfight over a pickup called Mustang, though,” our source said with a laugh.

Mach-E power ranges from 255 hp to 333 hp, with the more powerful GT model cranking out 459 hp, built on, our sources remind us, a scalable EV platform able to be shortened or stretched to support several body styles.

“The aim is for the Mustang-badged vehicles to be the more performance-oriented of the two sub-brands,” the source said.

We are watching both the Mustang and Bronco families carefully. Meanwhile, as we wrote a few months ago, you might as well start wrapping your head around cars such as electric Mustangs and Bronco pickups landing at Ford dealers in the 2020s.
Funny how all you folks are getting ripped about an anonymous source getting their info from who exactly? Exactly. No one. This is the COVID19 news cycle, where any idiot that can spin three words together on the computer is suddenly an anonymous source.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Funny how all you folks are getting ripped about an anonymous source getting their info from who exactly? Exactly. No one. This is the COVID19 news cycle, where any idiot that can spin three words together on the computer is suddenly an anonymous source.
Autoweek has proven itself over the years to be a pretty reputable source for automotive information. Whether or not this is actually true, who knows. That said, if it’s about Mustang’s we’ll post It.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
The rebadged Mazda CUV should have been a thunderbird if they wanted to reuse a name. Instead they have pissed off a large group of their most devoted fans. Thunderbird is all but dead..too late to be a corvette competitor, but it is still recognizable and might have found new life as an electric vehicle. That e-thing with a pony on it boils my blood. I swear I am going to wear a #notamustang shirt at Ford carlisle this year if they have it and show that abomination. Maybe someone will egg it if it is in the parade.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
The Mustang name is an ICON that’s for sure and you don’t need Ford branding to sell it or even know what it is. However Mustang Name should stick exactly for what’s its for the Mustang.
Ford should bring back the SVT division for their performance wing like Dodge has SRT.

So ford is saying eventually you can buy a Mustang Coupe and E and whatever else they come up with... I think I’ll pass

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
Seemed to work for Corvette and Cadillac. Ram actually makes a really nice truck now as well. I have a history as a Ford person but beyond the Mustang and my F150 nothing on their lots moves the meter for me. I daily a Honda and the wife drives a BMW. Letting a group move off and focus solely on individual products may be a good thing.

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i love that the pic has the mach e in the middle... smh. put that ugly step child in the back

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Seemed to work for Corvette and Cadillac. Ram actually makes a really nice truck now as well. I have a history as a Ford person but beyond the Mustang and my F150 nothing on their lots moves the meter for me. I daily a Honda and the wife drives a BMW. Letting a group move off and focus solely on individual products may be a good thing.

I’d love a Lexus (GSF/RCF) or an M3 better build quality but you will still play a premium for those cars even used and the maintenance like oil changes and the insurance are a bit more to maintain than a ford.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
On the plus side 40 years from now our "real" mustangs are going to be worth morre.

My ecocboost when I am 90 will become a holy grail car, lol. :crackup:

Terry

Sponsored

Mustang_Eh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I really don't care what they call it as long as I can continue buying aggressively priced V8 motors with manual transmissions as well as decent build quality.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thanks! All is well, just busier than ever so don't have as much time to come on here anymore. I know Ford reads these forums though so I figured I'd come give my 2 cents about this.
“Ford reads these forums”... possibly, but they could give 2 shits about the quality of their products or the many concerns that are brought forth on this very forum by actual owners of their products...

MACHE = poor attempt at introducing another lame minivan/SUV/CUV or just call it the GUV (Girlie Utilitarian Vehicle)...

If Ford can do what they have done with the 1400HP EV Cobra Jet, they SHOULD have remained on that path and did that type of introduction for the S550 - the REAL Mustang... not taking another platform and calling it a Mustang, that it is not.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'm not sure why Ford thinks the Mustang name will sell to Karen. The car sure looks like it's for Karen, not me.

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
I'm not sure why Ford thinks the Mustang name will sell to Karen. The car sure looks like it's for Karen, not me.
Something like 90% of horse owners are women. Women have much more interest in horses than men do. Look at the marketing materials for the Mach E and tell me this isn't the image they're going for. If current management at Ford has their way, what we think of as a Mustang will be irrelevant within five to ten years.

.pinimg.com%2F736x%2F25%2F53%2F31%2F25533157b612ca2d1df23b293c65ab41--riding-horses-trail-riding.jpg
Sponsored