Source: Ford Bronco and Mustang Could Become Their Own Sub-Brands

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I don't see the appeal of a million sub-brands. You'd think Detroit would have already learned this doesn't work with all the failed sub-brands of the big three that no longer exist. Everybody knows the Mustang and Bronco are made by Ford, I don't think removing the Ford name will change perception or fool anyone. Lincoln still struggles with the "it's just a dressed up Ford" perception even with their impressive products. If Ford wants to add a dozen variants of the Mustang and Bronco, it is what it is, but they'll always be Fords regardless of name. Adding brands just makes everything needlessly complex in my opinion.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I don't see the appeal of a million sub-brands. You'd think Detroit would have already learned this doesn't work with all the failed sub-brands of the big three that no longer exist. Everybody knows the Mustang and Bronco are made by Ford, I don't think removing the Ford name will change perception or fool anyone. Lincoln still struggles with the "it's just a dressed up Ford" perception even with their impressive products. If Ford wants to add a dozen variants of the Mustang and Bronco, it is what it is, but they'll always be Fords regardless of name. Adding brands just makes everything needlessly complex in my opinion.
Welcome back Matt. Haven't seen you on here for awhile. Hope you is well.

scotty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm of the mindset "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If this is what Ford is doing, then they are out of their minds. Nothing like watering down the Mustang name and the history associated with it. I guess this is what you get when you put a CEO from an office furniture company in charge of a car maker.

I can't wait for the soccer mom's in their Mach-E's to start showing up to car meets thinking they have a real Mustang :cwl::cwl::cwl:

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Ford products competing with world class tech is fine only IF they can execute.
In the real world I see over 50K priced vehicles that have the latest Sync3 updates that literally have voice stutters and very slow screen responses. The original Sync3 from a few years ago did NOT have these problems. They actually broke it. Where is the testing?
Production quality so bad billions are spent on recalls.
Quality issues like my 2015 Mustang panel gaps and now sun fading on exterior plastic and seats far worse than my 22 and 17 year old Mustangs.
I sat in a Tesla Model X the other day for the first time and the sound system is one of the best I have ever heard in a vehicle, better than ANY Ford or Lincoln.
Is all this a result of laying off workers to save costs and pinching pennies for a share price increase that has not happened?
I feel that the MachE, Bronco, Bronco Sport, F-150 upcoming new model roll outs will be the most important in recent history given the number of competitors.
They have to get these right.
Not to mention the amount of Mustang owner hate towards the MachE still appearing on social media.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Welcome back Matt. Haven't seen you on here for awhile. Hope you is well.
Thanks! All is well, just busier than ever so don't have as much time to come on here anymore. I know Ford reads these forums though so I figured I'd come give my 2 cents about this.

Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
A hedge fund guy will swoop in and buy the Mustang brand name and ruin all of it.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
From the article: “We have to leverage what we’re good at,” a source told Autoweek. “What are we good at? Mustangs and trucks. Mustang is a niche product with a great legacy. We need to expand on that legacy. More Broncos is a no-brainer.”

You're good at Mustangs because it's a sporty coupe that looks good and performs well. These morons need to understand that an Escape rebranded as a Mustang is still just a crappy small crossover vehicle without any of the cool attributes of the actual Mustang. The Mustang has a legacy because of what is is and has always been, a sporty 2+2 coupe available with powerful engines and sporty handling packages offered.

Renaming a small crossover a Mustang Escape, or whatever, will dilute the Mustang name and cheapen the image of real Mustangs.

It may work for Genesis (formerly a Hyundai model) because Genesis had no legacy or heritage. They just decided to make it a luxury spin-off brand, without any real prior name recognition to those both in and outside of the car world.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Bring back the Ford Pinto, make it with a dual clutch and twin turbos, lol.

TC

Sponsored

3ZERO3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm not entirely sure why they didn't just stick to the "Mustang inspired" theme. A sporty small electric cross-over that had styling cues from the Mustang named Mach-E actually sounded kind of cool. Badging everything in their entire line-up with the Mustang name, not-so-cool

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Dodge did it with Ram. In fact they don’t like to use the term “Dodge Ram” but simply “Ram”.

With the Mustang it’s a bit different. This will cause a lot of initial confusion in the marketplace when referring to “Mustang”, since that word used alone will conjure one idea, while actually referring to several things. But it could prove be a brilliant move ultimately, because that badge already denotes perfomance, sporty, fast, fun, etc. The trick will be keeping it that way. The name could end up being watered down and used for all kinds of bastard projects. I imagine some exec saying, “we need to move more units. Slap a spoiler and scoops on it and call it Mustang”. God forbid it devolves into that.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I am with you on this.... You would think after the MANY failed attempts at sub-brands (anyone remember the short lived SRT sub-brand?) they would get the idea that it does not help. A mustang is a 2 door sporty coupe... Calling an SUV or a truck a "Mustang" is not going to excite people, it is just going to piss off alot of people and as others have said, dilute the name. You now have to specify that you own a 2 door coupe and not the minivan... And I know they keep saying the 2 door is not going away but I cannot help but feel that our traditional 2 door Mustang (pisses me off I have to clarify that) is not anywhere near a priority at Ford. Because of that, I do not think we are going to see many "revolutionary" or exciting updates to the 2 door for awhile.... We are probably just going to get slight refreshes and overpriced specialty models...

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
because that badge already denotes perfomance, sporty, fast, fun, etc.
The badge denotes a TWO DOOR Sports car..... Not a damn minivan with 400hp.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I'm not entirely sure why they didn't just stick to the "Mustang inspired" theme. A sporty small electric cross-over that had styling cues from the Mustang named Mach-E actually sounded kind of cool. Badging everything in their entire line-up with the Mustang name, not-so-cool
Exactly, take styling cues (leave the iconic ones like the tri bar tails alone) and make a good looking INSPIRED vehicle with a different name.
Sponsored