Sponsored

Sound tube delete

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I did mine today. Cut my arm up pretty good getting wrench in there, and took like an hour it seemed!
Looks so much better with that abortion out and I do not notice sound difference but I do have a h-pipe res delete and airaid intake tube so my sound was turned up some to balance.
Sponsored

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
Guys do NOT mess around with the socket fighting it for an hour.

Undo the clamp holding the sound tube to the intake, and the small push plug holding it to the strut tower.

From there, stand at the front of the car, grab the tube with both hands and give it a stern pull.. the little plastic ring that holds the tube under the washer is MAYBE 1/8th inch, it snaps off pretty as you please and the tube comes right out.

Took me all of 3 minutes to remove the tube, and plug both holes

:headbang:

isedawishy

GTPPTT6REIGHTY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I used a 1/4 ratchet, 2ft extension and a deep #10. Got it about 3/4 off then switched to a regular #10. It came off very quick!

The harder part for me was getting the plug in.

My car is a PP and I left the strut bar on.

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
I'm telling you guys just pull lol.. this is the little tab that holds it to the firewall.. it splits and the tube comes right out :)

Sponsored

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
^ but then you're left with a screw in the position and no firewall plug.

Incorrect, it still leaves a perfectly clean hole to plug (i used the 29mm plug referenced earlier in this thread) .. in the pic above the 'split' portion is not where the hole is, that is the stud where the nut goes. The circular part to the right is the hole you have to plug, and is removed either way if you pull or unbolt the nut.

The nut stays on the stud thats in the car, not something im worried about since it is beside the hole, not in it.

Last edited:

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I'm telling you guys just pull lol.. this is the little tab that holds it to the firewall.. it splits and the tube comes right out :)

Exactly what I did.

rj67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase

How difficult is it to put the plug in the firewall? Looks like it's kind of hard to get to that area. Want to get that ugly thing out of my engine compartment!

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
How difficult is it to put the plug in the firewall? Looks like it's kind of hard to get to that area. Want to get that ugly thing out of my engine compartment!

Wasn't hard at all, if you have the proper sized plug.. took maybe 15 seconds :headbang:

Sponsored

rj67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP Competition Orange
Vehicle Showcase
Vertically challenged here. 5'6 on a good day. Just wondering if I can reach that far down or if it's easier to try and get the plug in from underneath.

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market
Vertically challenged here. 5'6 on a good day. Just wondering if I can reach that far down or if it's easier to try and get the plug in from underneath.
Its just behind the cyl head, should be no problem for you to reach from the top once the tube is pulled out.

grumblin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium
Its just behind the cyl head, should be no problem for you to reach from the top once the tube is pulled out.
I couldn't get my baseball-glove-width fat hands down there. Took my significant other about 4 seconds.

I will also admit to just ripping the sound tube out of there instead of undoing the 10mm nut.

I could never be a true mechanic because of these flipper-hands.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Just got rid of that eyesore on mine.

I had intended on getting it out intact but mangled the rubber hanger thing at the shock tower anyway, so I resorted to the grab-and-pull method and into my shop attic it was flung. Done.

What a waste of engineering time and dollars. Wow. So much better to look at.

Anyway, I have no idea how the hell you guys are getting a plug in that firewall hole. No matter how I try it, there's no way in hell one of my giant hands is getting contorted back there to start with to even reach the hole, let alone wrangle a plug into place. Grrrr.

:frusty:

Tcstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium- Ordered
I just ordered the cool tech kit and will be doing this when it comes in.
Sponsored