Someone tell me what to buy

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
Kidding, but slightly serious. I’ve read threads and watched vids and I think I’ve honestly confused myself more than anything. It’s my daily and I’d love to get into auto-x so I suppose I have a few wants with the setup. I want to lower it to get rid of the wheel gap with the aftermarket wheels, maintain a level of compliance for DD duties, and be a relatively decent performer in events or if I decide to track it. I’m fine with harsh to a point, just don’t want any bone jarring lol.

Here’s the frontrunner as of now:
BMR SP083/Steeda ultra lite linear (based on how much drop I want, leaning BMR)
Bilstein B6 strut/shock
Maximum Motorsport camber plates
Steeda billet rear shock mounts(?)
Steeda adjustable bump stops(?)

The car is a 2019 GT Premium PP1. Current suspension mods:
Steeda IRS braces
Steeda alignment kit

Wheels & tires:
19x10.5 +45 square
305/30/19 (I know they’re technically too big for the width, but I really want 305s cuz reasons. Not purchased yet, so I still may wise up and buy 295/35s)

Thoughts/critiques/tell me to just shut up and buy it? Appreciate you all!
Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
List looks pretty good.

Take the adjustable bump stops off and get soft ones, and for sure aim for stock tire sidewall heights when using those stiffer springs on a daily driver.

For dampers, I use Bilsteins on my car; they’re outstanding for near OEM spring rates, but I think you’d be best off with FRPP Track dampers or the adjustable ProActions from Steeda. You’ll need dedicated track pads if you get serious (easy to swap with the Brembos).

You absolutely need sway bars too. In fact, I challenge you to just swap the front bar, brake pads, and run a good tire and see what you think. You’ll still get some nose dive and lift, but the car will corner flat as Nebraska.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The B6's with those springs are going to be very stiff.

OP
OP
rxryanm

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
List looks pretty good.

Take the adjustable bump stops off and get soft ones, and for sure aim for stock tire sidewall heights when using those stiffer springs on a daily driver.

For dampers, I use Bilsteins on my car; they’re outstanding for near OEM spring rates, but I think you’d be best off with FRPP Track dampers or the adjustable ProActions from Steeda. You’ll need dedicated track pads if you get serious (easy to swap with the Brembos).

You absolutely need sway bars too. In fact, I challenge you to just swap the front bar, brake pads, and run a good tire and see what you think. You’ll still get some nose dive and lift, but the car will corner flat as Nebraska.
Appreciate it, Mike! I scoped out some of your threads and found your Steeda one. Looks like I'll grab some Steeda bars and adjustable endlinks.

If your challenge is don't swap springs/dampers, I'll definitely fail that. I would like it to be lower just for looks. And I know I shouldn't do that on stock PP dampers.

The B6's with those springs are going to be very stiff.
Well dang. My understanding was that the BMR & B6s paired together well for a DD that wouldn't be overly stiff. Maybe I will make a move for the FP track setup then. Which sucks as they're on a 4-6 week backorder. Woe is me haha

Sponsored

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding was that the BMR & B6s paired together well for a DD that wouldn't be overly stiff. Maybe I will make a move for the FP track setup then.
B6s or FRPP Tracks paired with the Ultralites, or especially the stiffer SP083s, are going to be pretty stiff, but you’ll especially notice the increase in ride frequency. Less you go with adjustable dampers set with rebound on full soft, you’ll be reacting to road contours and imperfections every second of your drive.

If you want a bit lower and a bit stiffer, shoot for Steeda’s minimum drop or Eibach ProKit springs. Just a tad over PP stiffness are the FRPP X springs.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like I'll grab some Steeda bars and adjustable endlinks.
skip the rear bar, and if you get the Steeda front, run it full soft. But I would urge the BMR front bar instead.

If you're gonna drop ~1" then you want the bump steer kit too.

The Steeda 200/800 linear spring set + Bilstein (or FRPP track) would be my recommendation unless you're intending your own TrackLife blog.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My own experience with Bilsteins paired with stock springs - different car but still a strut front suspension / IRS car - is that the ride can be a bit jittery over certain road unevennesses taken at low speed. But they smooth out nicely at higher speeds and over bigger bumps, and the rear bounciness/floatiness that was present with the OE dampers disappeared entirely.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This ^^^

Dampers plus a bit more roll stiffness via sta-bars is arguably the best way to go for now. It's all you'll ever need for street driving, and it's enough to see you past the novice groups at HPDE and well up into intermediate. Trust me.

Norm

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I ran the Bilsteins with the stock base springs and they are made for each other. Nice ride and plenty of control.

Then I swapped to the min drop springs and got my kidneys beat up. I now have steeda's pro actions, still stiff but not jarring.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I ran the Bilsteins with the stock base springs and they are made for each other. Nice ride and plenty of control.
Then I swapped to the min drop springs and got my kidneys beat up
The Bilstein shim stack is preloaded "too much" IMO. When you use the stock/pp1/BMR-min-drop springs (all have the ~same spring rates) the velocity of the piston is higher and travel is longer for a given bump profile, and so you get sufficient blow-off.

However if you use the Steeda min-drop the spring rates are a healthy 25% stiffer rate up front which reduces travel and velocity which per K4fxd sounds like is insufficient to get necessary oil flow.

But Bilstein sells a kit which is paired with Eibach Pro's which are even higher rates than Steeda and we haven't heard a chorus of complaints. So take it for what that's worth.

In my case my F150 has Bilsteins and it's highspeed compression damping is VERY VERY different (higher) than the factory dampers, when married up to stock springs. It's firmer than it needs to be but not outright objectionable. What I do like is the slow speed compression and rebound characteristics.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rxryanm

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
skip the rear bar, and if you get the Steeda front, run it full soft. But I would urge the BMR front bar instead.

If you're gonna drop ~1" then you want the bump steer kit too.

The Steeda 200/800 linear spring set + Bilstein (or FRPP track) would be my recommendation unless you're intending your own TrackLife blog.
Matt, why the preference to BMR's bar over Steeda? And definitely not intending a TrackLife blog. Not yet, at least.

Any preference on bump steer kits? I know Steeda and Cortex both have one.

OP
OP
rxryanm

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Matt, why the preference to BMR's bar over Steeda? And definitely not intending a TrackLife blog. Not yet, at least.

Any preference on bump steer kits? I know Steeda and Cortex both have one.
I would buy Cortex. The quality is much better.
Sponsored