Sponsored

Some Suggestions For Do's and Don'ts When Getting Your PDI Done

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Recently I have had a number of members asking for my input as to some of the "Do's and Don'ts" that pertain to the PDI process that takes place prior to us taking delivery of our cool GT350's and R's..

Obviously everyone has a different idea of how they want to take delivery of their GT350 or R model once the PDI process has been completed therefore my list may not be quite what many of you would like to follow and I get that we all have a different idea of what we want or feel comfortable with.

Of course the GT350 and R models have some significant differences but hope that many of these suggestions would apply to both models.

With that being the case I suggest that everyone take what you want from the list and look forward to additional "Do's and Don'ts" suggestions from other fellow members.

* Prior to the PDI process make contact with the PDI Manager and explain to him that you will be sending him an email list of Do's and Don'ts that pertain to your car. The PDI Manager at my dealership has been there for 28 years and was very receptive to my phone call and subsequent email of suggestions and followed them perfectly.

* Do Not put the car through an automated car wash and would like the car hand washed and detailed only by your best detailer.

* Leave all protective plastic on the interior including the seats, door sill plates, steering wheel, sun visors and dash gauges.

* Do Not install a front license plate holder.

* Leave the Window Sticker and all other shipping labels in place after which time I will remove myself.

* If a full tank of gas if provided by the dealership tell them that you will fill up the car yourself and provide a receipt.

* Leave the GT350/R car cover unopened in the original carton.

* Remove the polyurethane shipping blocks from the front and rear springs. In the case of a car being transported to another location you may elect to leave them installed and remove them at a later date.

* Remove the protective white plastic film from the rear CF wing.

* Do Not install the front chin spoiler if you plan to transport your car to another location or because you may remove the vinyl stripes or add a PPF.

* When cleaning the windshield do not raise the drivers side wiper blade to the point of making contact with the leading edge of the aluminum hood.

* Ask for a duplicate Window Sticker from your sales person. I have never been turned down on this request yet. Once I receive the duplicate Window Sticker I then mount it in a glass frame and display it in my garage near the car.

* Request the mileage for your car as recorded when it came off of the transport truck and then confirm the actual mileage once taking final delivery.

* Do Not install any dealership decals or dealership badges to the back of your car.

* Speak to the parts department in advance of taking delivery of your car and ask them to order a set of JLT Rock Blockers that can be easily installed prior to driving your car home and suggest that you will be glad that you did.

* Get to know as best you can your sales person but more importantly the PDI Manager and Service Director as they can be your eyes, ears and an important friend when it comes time to deal with an all important issue.

* In order to mitigate any unforeseen issues always inspect your car prior to taking delivery and if you cannot be there you need to reach out to a friend or fellow enthusiast that can be your eyes and ears when taking final delivery of your car once the PDI process is complete..

I cannot stress enough the importance of the last item listed as I have seen so many unfortunate situations that have taken place over the years whereby someone trusted the dealership to do the PDI and without a personnel inspection only to have a major issue such as a damaged CF wheel, paint chips, body panel gaps off, excess miles and the list goes on once your car arrives at your home.

Hopefully some of the above information provided will be helpful to many of you and look forward to other additional suggestions that may have been over looked.

:fingerscrossed:
Sponsored

Last edited:

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Nice list, that is fantastic! It's an exciting car to take delivery of, and unwrapping the car yourself is one of the best experiences.

I'd love to add that if you're willing to do a little more work you can get in contact with the transport driver. The dealership will be able to put you in contact with the transport company, who can have the driver call you the night before and the morning of delivery. It's at least a good photo op for the car arriving on the truck (got a drone to film it?) and unloading.

In my case I was present for the arrival of the truck and drove the car myself from the truck to the dealership around the corner, let them install the front splitter, and drove home with nothing else done. Odometer read 2.0mi off the truck, and no one else but myself sat behind the wheel after that. You could in theory snatch it first thing off the truck and take it home with no other hands having touched it except Ford and transport driver if you are so inclined.

OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I’ll get this in the “Basics” sticky when I get home.

Terrific stuff @PP0001 :like:
Thanks Jim and hope that some of these suggestions may be helpful to many of our members especially some of the younger and newer members!

Carpenater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP #LR087, 1999 SVT Lightning #3830
If their "best" detailer is a in-house employer...he or she wouldn't touch my car with a ten foot pole.

I MIGHT consider letting a private company detail it, if the dealer offers, but it would depend on my own research of that private company.

Anyone who thinks differently is assuming risk.

In regards to the JLT Rock Blockers you would probably save money buying them yourself and then taking them to the dealer and installing them before driving home.

Based on how far of a drive it is home from the dealer, consider making an appointment with a local installer to have PPF installed before making the drive home. If not just bring multiple rolls of painters tape to tape your car blue or green depending on the type. Another option to consider is Trakktape.

Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Don't waste the money on the JTL foam blockers. Buy a set of Rokblokz for the front and be done with it. Install will take you 20 minutes in the driveway if you're slow.

OP
OP
PP0001

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
If their "best" detailer is a in-house employer...he or she wouldn't touch my car with a ten foot pole.

I MIGHT consider letting a private company detail it, if the dealer offers, but it would depend on my own research of that private company.

Anyone who thinks differently is assuming risk.

In regards to the JLT Rock Blockers you would probably save money buying them yourself and then taking them to the dealer and installing them before driving home.

Based on how far of a drive it is home from the dealer, consider making an appointment with a local installer to have PPF installed before making the drive home. If not just bring multiple rolls of painters tape to tape your car blue or green depending on the type. Another option to consider is Trakktape.

Agreed on the JLT Rock Blockers being bought through Amazon yourself for ~$14.00 as that should save a few dollars.

Each to their own if they do not want to use these JLT Rock Blockers but they have certainly done the job for my 5 cars over the years.

Regarding installing a PPF on your car and using TrakkTape I think that is a great idea but must mention that installing a PPF is a personal and important choice and not something that I would ever install on one of my cars especially since I quit tracking my cars some 30 years ago.

With respect to a dealership detailing a new car I appreciate what you are suggesting but I guess it all comes down to what your definition of detailing entails.

In my case I made it very clear to the PDI Manager that I wanted my car hand washed and waxed by their best detailer and to leave all decals and stickers on the car and to leave the interior as is.

Upon my arrival to the dealership the detailer was still working on the final touches on my car after which time I did a complete inspection of the car including the CF wing and CF wheels.

After my inspection was complete I introduced myself to the detailer and complimented him on the terrific job that he did and made sure that the PDI Manager was present when I made those comments.

I am not suggesting that all dealerships have this level of detailer but in my case I was more than happy with the results based on much prior communication with the right people at my dealership.

Bottom line is there are many Ford dealerships closer to me that I could deal when it comes to all things Mustang but I choose to deal with this dealership which is much farther away based on their superior business model and the many long time employees who have a tremendous amount of experience which means a great deal to me.

slingblade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 HEP GT350R
Don't waste the money on the JTL foam blockers. Buy a set of Rokblokz for the front and be done with it. Install will take you 20 minutes in the driveway if you're slow.
CAD26F8C-3139-4F26-980B-1C4B679BAD52.jpeg
Confirmed easy install. Just need a Phillips head screw driver and maybe a flat head or trim remover tool to assist in pulling the stock inner fender fasteners.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Do you suggest getting them for the rear tires too?

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got them for the rears and chose not to put them on. Stock ones appeared sufficient and they matched the rear valence by the bumper better. I personally think you would be fine with fronts only.
Okay thanks.

Does it matter if you put them on before or after PPF installation?

slingblade

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2020 HEP GT350R
Okay thanks.

Does it matter if you put them on before or after PPF installation?
They are not hard to remove again. I assume they would get pulled amongst other things for PPF. Top part just clips inside fender. Then it’s just the two screws on the bottoms to remove.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)