Sponsored

Some questions I have for bullitt owners…

AnthonyA1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 1992 Mustang GT
A couple questions I wanted to ask you guys regarding your bullitts.

First off, mine burns oil. My car has about 8k miles and I’ve always ran royal purple synthetic oil. It’s probably been about 9 months since my last oil change and I’ve only put about 2k miles on her and the oil dipstick is below the low mark. Car says oil life is at 30%. Granted I do my fair share of pulls and spirited driving. Do you guys experience this as well?

Another thing, I notice the clutch smell a lot in this car. If I do a launch with launch control with my windows down I smell clutch instantly. I don’t slip the clutch I dump it. Also when I park the car after some pulls I’ll smell clutch. Do you guys notice this?
Sponsored

jonny10buds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt, 1972 Lincoln Continental MkIV, 2010 Honda Accord (daily driver)
All my V8 Mustangs have used oil, usually 2-3 litres between oil changes, I’ve never had a clutch smell but I’ve never launched or line-locked

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Mine has also burned a little over a quart of oil within a couple of thousand miles of driving. I’ve had to top it off a couple of times. I just figured it was normal for these cars, especially when being spun at high RPMs a lot.

Our cars are close in mileage too, as I’m approaching 7K and have done two oil changes within that time.

I’ve never used the factory launch control on my Bullitt, but I have smelled the clutch after some launches at the drag strip using my Hitmaster Clutch Hit Control System. The cause of the smell was from excessive slipping, due to the Hitmaster being improperly adjusted. The end result was a burnt up clutch. Needless to say, I ended up having to replace it.

rcald

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt L3483 2002 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Purchased my Bullitt from a Ford Dealer in January of 21, 1500 miles logged. Noticed around 4,000 car was consuming 1 qt/1000 miles. Initially went back and forth with Ford, they said it was normal ( just didnt buy it). They took it through their process and identified one cylinder was not right and changed the long block at 9300 miles (changed in Sept of 21). I just rolled 25k, car consumes about .25 qt per 2000 miles. I researched and did not find any history of issues with the Bullitt engines. My plan is to keep the car so won't need to explain it to a potential buyer as the engine swap shows on the CarFax report.

GRNMSTA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
I have a ‘20 with 11.5K miles. I’ve never checked the oil, but this post prompted me to check it. Last oil change was at 10.5K, 5 months ago, oil life is now 47%.

Oil level is right in the middle of the hash zone and it has been sitting for 2 days. From what I can tell from the comments on this thread (essentially in the hash zone when cold is normal), I think my engine doesn’t burn oil. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

POJ 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt build no.301
oil is fine and no smells here

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I get a "sweet" smell anytime I drive it a little hard. Always wondered if it was the clutch.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Sweet smell sounds like you could be leaking antifreeze somewhere in the system.

Sweet Smell = Coolant Leak
If there is a sweet smell coming from your car, then it's most likely leaking coolant (or antifreeze, for anyone that lives where it gets below freezing). Leaking coolant is a major problem. If your vehicle gets too low on coolant/antifreeze, it will overheat

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Definitely not antifreeze. I know what that smells like and there would be evidence on the garage floor. Also it's done it since day one so I'd be out of coolant by now if that's what it was, lol.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Drive the car like you normally do when you smell the sweet smell and carefully vent and remove your coolant tank’s cap. Sniff the filler neck area to see if that’s what you’re smelling.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I get a "sweet" smell anytime I drive it a little hard. Always wondered if it was the clutch.
I’ve never experienced that with my 2019 Bullitt. Have you changed out your thermostat for a cooler one? Just curious as to whether it could be seeping just enough for you to smell it somewjere in the coolant system, but not enough to leak onto the ground.

I just installed an MMR Head Cooling Mod (which required knocking out the freeze plugs on the back of each head) and antifreeze ran all over everything (headers, k-member etc.). I Had to douse all affected areas with brake and parts cleaner to get rid of it all. I also flushed my coolant and switched from orange to yellow.and It does smell sweet.

The only other thing I can think of is, maybe you ran over a piece of candy or gum that got stuck on the exhaust somewhere. It sounds crazy, but I’ve had that happen with bubble gum before.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
COT smells like burning clutch too so if your only smelling it when driving aggressive, I'd lean towards the cats as the cause of your smell.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
When I burned up the clutch in my Bullitt, it did not smell sweet at all, it actually stunk really bad. I’ve never burned up cats before, so I can’t comment on how that would smell.

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
is it normal to smell the burning clutch after stomping on it? mine is an ecoboost and I always smell it after parking when driving hard

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
is it normal to smell the burning clutch after stomping on it? mine is an ecoboost and I always smell it after parking when driving hard
I had never noticed any smell on mine until the very day that I burned it up. The smell did dissipate after the car cooled down though. I drove it gingerly and at low rpm a few times afterward before changing it out. Here’s what it looked like upon inspection.

1678995106137.jpeg

1678995164889.jpeg

1678995194685.jpeg
Sponsored