Sponsored

SOLVED: Dead clutch pedal. Cant change gear.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Update: Went to the dealer today to get something form my car and the advisor said that the trans will be dropped for sure in the next week or so. He has 3 transmission jobs including mine so I will be without the car for a couple weeks. I asked him since they are dropping the transmission, can i upgrade the clutch if I wanted to and he said yes and they will just charge me for labor of taking the old one out and putting in the new one.

My question:

How many hours of labor do you think they will charge to swap out the clutch? I know every shop hour rate is different which is why I am asking hours. I just don't want to buy a new clutch then pay another 400 for him to put it in when I am already getting this fixed for free. However I am saving more now by doing so then later down the road when I do eventually have to change my clutch.
Since the labor to drop the trans is covered by Ford, it should only be one hour to swap clutch and flywheel. If done by a competent tech anyway. I wouldn't pay more than 2.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Since the labor to drop the trans is covered by Ford, it should only be one hour to swap clutch and flywheel. If done by a competent tech anyway. I wouldn't pay more than 2.
Thats what I was hoping to hear. Thank you for the reply.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Update: Went to the dealer today to get something form my car and the advisor said that the trans will be dropped for sure in the next week or so. He has 3 transmission jobs including mine so I will be without the car for a couple weeks. I asked him since they are dropping the transmission, can i upgrade the clutch if I wanted to and he said yes and they will just charge me for labor of taking the old one out and putting in the new one.

My question:

How many hours of labor do you think they will charge to swap out the clutch? I know every shop hour rate is different which is why I am asking hours. I just don't want to buy a new clutch then pay another 400 for him to put it in when I am already getting this fixed for free. However I am saving more now by doing so then later down the road when I do eventually have to change my clutch.

If it were me I'd do it, changing a clutch now is the best deal you're going to get. Ask what the labor charge will be.

After all the trans will on the floor and that's where all the labor is.

I would not think much more than an hour tops.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
If it were me I'd do it, changing a clutch now is the best deal you're going to get. Ask what the labor charge will be.

After all the trans will on the floor and that's where all the labor is.

I would not think much more than an hour tops.
thanks for the reassurance. I will go ahead and get this clutch kit then.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Get a quote in writing man, and negotiate from there, if needed. I'd never let a dealer do an open-ended job. Find out what's the 'shop rate' (time it takes for a job, which is already in favor of dealers) for that particular job; dealer shouldn't charge you more than that. Good luck.

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Was told it would be less than 2 hours so under 300. I was hoping for under 200 but I guess less than 300 for a clutch change isn't bad at the dealer. Ordered the new clutch and will take it to them later this week. Still waiting for them to actually put my car on the lift.

Thanks all for the help

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Money well spent

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Was told it would be less than 2 hours so under 300. I was hoping for under 200 but I guess less than 300 for a clutch change isn't bad at the dealer. Ordered the new clutch and will take it to them later this week. Still waiting for them to actually put my car on the lift.

Thanks all for the help
Doesn’t sound too bad. The labor for the transmission r&r is set by Ford because it’s under warranty. The dealership has no say in what that costs because Ford is paying for it. So Ford tells them how much they’ll pay and that’s how much the dealership is doing the job for. My only worry is what they’d charge you to put the clutch in as some dealers will overcharge slightly (since that portion of the job is coming out of your pocket) to try and make up a little on the back end. If you’re having them do a clutch and flywheel, 2 hours is pretty fair. But like stated above, this is without a doubt the best time to do it.

I’ve never had my car at the dealer but with your car being under warranty, is there any loaner coverage available? You mentioned you’d be without a car for a few weeks but that may be something they’ll accommodate. Wouldn’t hurt to ask

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Doesn’t sound too bad. The labor for the transmission r&r is set by Ford because it’s under warranty. The dealership has no say in what that costs because Ford is paying for it. So Ford tells them how much they’ll pay and that’s how much the dealership is doing the job for. My only worry is what they’d charge you to put the clutch in as some dealers will overcharge slightly (since that portion of the job is coming out of your pocket) to try and make up a little on the back end. If you’re having them do a clutch and flywheel, 2 hours is pretty fair. But like stated above, this is without a doubt the best time to do it.

Yeah, Im happy I made the decision to do so because after the track events last year, I knew I wanted to upgrade the clutch but didnt want to pay for the install. I now got a new clutch for an amazing price and inexpensive install. I should be good for some time. And also it helps that they install it so if anything were to happen, it would be on them (so I would think).

I’ve never had my car at the dealer but with your car being under warranty, is there any loaner coverage available? You mentioned you’d be without a car for a few weeks but that may be something they’ll accommodate. Wouldn’t hurt to ask
This is the the longest I have been without it parked at my place. I will be without it for a few weeks but I still have my 4runner so Im covered with that. Now I know dealers or at least the two I've been to dont loan out cars but instead give you a shuttle ride to Enterprise to rent from them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Dropped off at the dealer. Hoping to hear back tomorrow or Monday (if the snowstorm doesn’t delay) what the actual problem was.

0E997077-0D91-43AD-B2C1-F243BDD39EF4.jpeg

OP
OP
Biggsy

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
UPDATE:
After 2 weeks I picked my car up today. They replaced the TOB/slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder(instead of replacing the pedal assembly). The tech said that the TOB was binding which was causing the problem. Very happy to have it back and with the new clutch I am ready for track season.

This is my first manual car and the only one I've driven( except for a NSX two weeks ago) regularly so I dont know what to compare it to. Due to the new clutch, I have to relearn driving my car because the engagement point is pretty high and not much room for slipping the clutch. I also have to adjust my reverse gate on my MGW shifter as well because getting into reverse is more difficult. Otherwise I will continue to break it in as long as th weather allows.

Thanks for all the help!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATE:
After 2 weeks I picked my car up today. They replaced the TOB/slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder(instead of replacing the pedal assembly). The tech said that the TOB was binding which was causing the problem. Very happy to have it back and with the new clutch I am ready for track season.

This is my first manual car and the only one I've driven( except for a NSX two weeks ago) regularly so I dont know what to compare it to. Due to the new clutch, I have to relearn driving my car because the engagement point is pretty high and not much room for slipping the clutch. I also have to adjust my reverse gate on my MGW shifter as well because getting into reverse is more difficult. Otherwise I will continue to break it in as long as th weather allows.

Thanks for all the help!
Nice piece .. back in the saddle ..... cool

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Good to see your got the car back, and "hopefully" the issue has been resolved

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Glad you didn't have to get the pedal assembly replaced. It is a total PITA to change. Which clutch is that, hyper single? I would have recommended the Mach 500 to you. It drives like stock but releases much better at high rpm compared with the stock clutch.
Sponsored