Sponsored

Solo Performance GT exhaust systems review - updated with photos/videos

Which Solo Performance version do you have?

• Mach XV

Votes: 77 38.3%
  • Mach Thunder

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • Street Race

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Axleback

Votes: 13 6.5%
  • other (with header, H-pipe, etc..)

Votes: 16 8.0%

• Total voters

brad65ford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Holy long thread. Hopefully someone can share a video or thoughts. Currently running a ARH catted x full exhaust system. Just added the cats attempted to remove the rasp which it did but I don't like the sound of the mufflers and it has 0 decell sound its so weird I can't explain it. Anyway I want either the Thunder or the XV system since its quieter and I already have Lt's lol. But I'm concerned about the x pipe cat configuration on my current system being in the way or changing the sound. Again i do not know but if anyone can shed some light it would be most helpful since its this exhaust system or AFE's which seems very deep too do to that pipe cross over.
Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I have the Mach Thunder catback and have been very pleased with it. It's high quality for sure and the adjustable tips make alignment a breeze. I'm going to be ordering the Mach XV center muffler soon so that I can run at Laguna Seca without having to rig up my funky exhaust tips to direct sound away from the mics. I was hitting 96 dB's when running test passes at home (no headers) with the Thunder muffler.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
If there's anyone in the North Florida area looking for one, I need to swap my Solo Mach Thunder out for a stock system ASAP, talking like the next day or two, maybe next Thursday. I'd do it pretty cheap plus your OEM exhaust :)

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I'm considering the Mach XV and Mach Thunder. I'm stock right now. A lot of videos I see of these make them sound a bit higher pitched than I'd gather from the descriptions of them being deep systems. Solo's own videos make them sound super deep, but like overbearingly deep, but I think that is just a mic issue. I know they come with an X design muffler so that is probably part of it. I've always been more of an H pipe guy and I'm just not sold on the X design muffler giving that deep muscle car pulse. I'm on the fence between Krona (heard it in person but the car was supercharged so it was louder than N/A), AWE, and ARH. Krona sounded OK but maybe too deep? I'm not sure how to describe it. Also, not a fan of their tips.

Does anyone have newer videos of their systems, since these supposedly take 1000 or so miles to break in, to show the true tone of them? Most vids out there seem to be right after install where it's higher pitched.

Can someone elaborate on when this exhaust crackles and pops? I'm not a fan of popping and I hope it's not too much. I like the smooth decel/engine braking tone the stock system has. Does that go away to a gurgling sound? Can someone point this out in a video or record a quick one? Is there anyone near CT that has either the Mach XV or Mach Thunder I could check out in person?

Since I live in a condo, I'm looking at building some homemade silencers I can slip on any system I get. I know these kits come with 4.5" tips. Is that the outer diameter? If not, could someone measure for me please? I'm looking to make something that slips over the tips. Thanks.

Last edited:

goingsolo2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Can these be fitted to an active exhaust on a 2019 gt?
We have a new kit for the 2018+ models, which have quad tips. They are on our site or you can call me directly at 516-655-9002. Thanks so much!

Steve

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I'm considering the Mach XV and Mach Thunder. I'm stock right now. A lot of videos I see of these make them sound a bit higher pitched than I'd gather from the descriptions of them being deep systems. Solo's own videos make them sound super deep, but like overbearingly deep, but I think that is just a mic issue. I know they come with an X design muffler so that is probably part of it. I've always been more of an H pipe guy and I'm just not sold on the X design muffler giving that deep muscle car pulse. I'm on the fence between Krona (heard it in person but the car was supercharged so it was louder than N/A), AWE, and ARH. Krona sounded OK but maybe too deep? I'm not sure how to describe it. Also, not a fan of their tips.

Does anyone have newer videos of their systems, since these supposedly take 1000 or so miles to break in, to show the true tone of them? Most vids out there seem to be right after install where it's higher pitched.

Can someone elaborate on when this exhaust crackles and pops? I'm not a fan of popping and I hope it's not too much. I like the smooth decel/engine braking tone the stock system has. Does that go away to a gurgling sound? Can someone point this out in a video or record a quick one? Is there anyone near CT that has either the Mach XV or Mach Thunder I could check out in person?

Since I live in a condo, I'm looking at building some homemade silencers I can slip on any system I get. I know these kits come with 4.5" tips. Is that the outer diameter? If not, could someone measure for me please? I'm looking to make something that slips over the tips. Thanks.
From what you are describing that you want in terms of sound, I think you would be happier with Mach XV. I have the Mach Thunder on my car. What I can tell you is that if you are worried about decel crackles and general noise, then you don't want the Thunder - especially on start ups. My wife can hear me coming from up the street as I downshift to slow down through the neighborhood. Though it's fairly quiet if you keep the revs under 2800 or so, you will still get the occasional crackle and pop. The tips are 4.5" at the end, but they taper back towards the 3" connection. Anything that slides over the tips is going to damage the finish and the fit won't be good due to the taper.

In terms of the sound, the Thunder is indeed much deeper than anything I have heard on the Coyote motor. The Borla system I think would be close. When I'm driving out around town it's fairly quite unless I get on it and then it really wakes up. It's not that obnoxious, higher pitched raspy sound that you hear from some systems. It's more of a deeper throated roar (loud), but not like that of the older push rod V8's.

My car is not my daily and is setup more for the track. I attend multiple HPDE events in the southwest and have seen many Mustangs at the track. In addition, I have seen videos of my car at the track and my wife has confirmed that it sounds deeper than most cars when I'm screaming down the front straight at Willow Springs Raceway at 140 MPH.

Sponsored

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thank you for the reply. That is really great to hear about the general deepness of the tone. I guess its a psychological thing for me at this point with the X muffler.

I'm afraid I'd be disappointed if I got the Mach XV in terms of volume. I want it to be loud without me flooring it. Not ear bleeding loud, but loud enough to get some looks and make it sound more like how it should IMO.

I guess I just need to understand what the decel tone will be. Solo's vids and other vids have that decel tone that stock has, but I also hear people talking about crackles and pops with this system. That makes me think like backfiring loud obnoxious sounds - I'm assuming it's not that right?

Regarding the tip size, I plan to use flexible rubber adapters to slip over the tips, so I'm thinking they will not be harsh enough to damage them. Or hoping at least. Thank you for the measurement confirmation. At this point where I live, I don't think I have any options to change out my exhaust and not have it be too loud for cold starts. I have seen people make these homemade silencers with some success. Someone even said it made their Corsa Extremes QUIETER than stock. That would be impressive.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Tons of happiness my solo machXV. Sounds just like I wanted it to. I picked it up on a sweet deal used with 200 miles on it. The previous owner did a full change out that the factory fit would not accommodate. I had the option to try it for a few weeks before paying for it. I was sold on spending big bucks for the AWE street series catback, but after hearing this setup with a nice deep note and no drone -- and saving myself a ton of cash -- I was sold. Fitment was dead on. The tone is not raspy like some of the axle backs with x-pipes are. Running with factory cats and manifolds btw.

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Tons of happiness my solo machXV. Sounds just like I wanted it to. I picked it up on a sweet deal used with 200 miles on it. The previous owner did a full change out that the factory fit would not accommodate. I had the option to try it for a few weeks before paying for it. I was sold on spending big bucks for the AWE street series catback, but after hearing this setup with a nice deep note and no drone -- and saving myself a ton of cash -- I was sold. Fitment was dead on. The tone is not raspy like some of the axle backs with x-pipes are. Running with factory cats and manifolds btw.
Glad to hear you were also considering AWE but chose Solo.