Sponsored

Sold PP2 and replaced it with PP1 Convertible. Wish me luck....

Torey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
Get yourself a front chassis brace and a set of jacking rails that should reinforce the chassis. That will reduce the overall cowl shake and flimsy feeling with the body.

I’m not familiar with the convertibles 100%, but do they come with the engine bay strut tower barrack like the coupes? I would magine they should…
I feel like when the top is up, the car seems a little sloppy. With the top down, I don’t notice it. When I lowered my magneride car, I saw the extra bracing that is unique to verts in the rear end. I haven’t tried jacking rails, not sure if they would help. I also wonder if the Roush light/roll bar would help at all. I know they are decorative, but they may help. Verts are already a little heavier and all of these options are adding significant weight. Not sure you’ll ever get it close to your PP2 standards. Might just need to enjoy the vert for what it is.
3711B0F9-AE1C-4737-BB04-31A616D398F5.png
Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
E85 tune - if you have access to high EtOH E85. Also, I'd keep those rims - they are forged and light. PP2 wheels are boat anchors. If you must change rims, go with a decent set of forged rims.

I know subframes made a difference with my 03 Cobra Vert - I don't know how much of a difference they'll make in a new vert.

And I agree with those who advise not to waste money on exhaust or intake stuff that provides trivial benefit at best.

Nice car - enjoy it for what it is and don't turn it in to a money pit.

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium Coupe, 2020 GT350 Heritage
E85 tune - if you have access to high EtOH E85. Also, I'd keep those rims - they are forged and light. PP2 wheels are boat anchors. If you must change rims, go with a decent set of forged rims.

I know subframes made a difference with my 03 Cobra Vert - I don't know how much of a difference they'll make in a new vert.

And I agree with those who advise not to waste money on exhaust or intake stuff that provides trivial benefit at best.

You're awesome. Thanks. I'm all pent up in trying to figure out what wheels to install. I really like the Ford Performance PP2 style. But your words are wise. Forged and light is a good thing. Maybe I'll have them painted dark and be done with it. That's cheap enough. I paint my own calipers and they come out great. Some G2 paint and stickers is pennies.

I'll probably go with those steeds frame pieces and just live my life. Thanks again for your input. 👍🤙🇺🇸

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
Also, I'd keep those rims - they are forged and light. PP2 wheels are boat anchors. If you must change rims, go with a decent set of forged rims.
The optional PP1 nickel wheels are lighter overall than the stock PP1 wheels and heavier than the forged PP2 wheels. They are all boat anchors.

Nickel PP1 forged wheels: 32.6 lb (F) and 32 lb (R)
Black PP1 stock wheels: 32.2 lb (F) and 33 lb (R)
Dark Tarnish PP2 forged wheels: 31 lb (F) and 30 lb (R)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ainted-forged-aluminum-wheels-weights.124423/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pp2-wheel-weigh.105666/

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Not nearly as much. The S197 convertible chassis was about twice as stiff as the SN95 convertible, and if anything the S550 convertible is stiffer yet.

This ^^^

Careful choice of wheels and tires could get you part of the way to PP2 feel, at least in reasonably normal driving. But expect ultimate limits to be lower and behavior up nearer to those limits more progressively understeerish (not a bad thing for a street-driven-only 'vert).

Norm

Sponsored

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
I feel like when the top is up, the car seems a little sloppy. With the top down, I don’t notice it. When I lowered my magneride car, I saw the extra bracing that is unique to verts in the rear end. I haven’t tried jacking rails, not sure if they would help. I also wonder if the Roush light/roll bar would help at all. I know they are decorative, but they may help. Verts are already a little heavier and all of these options are adding significant weight. Not sure you’ll ever get it close to your PP2 standards. Might just need to enjoy the vert for what it is.
3711B0F9-AE1C-4737-BB04-31A616D398F5.png
FWIW: I do not know if the extra bracing under my 2020 GT, PP1, MagneRide, Vert is there because its a vert, or a PP1 car. I know I can't get to the torque boxes in the back because of the brace(s).

Last year I installed the Steeda Jacking Rails just to make it easier to raise for maintenance. I don't track my car or drive it hard so I haven't noticed any difference.

BTW: Nice Vert - lol.

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
FWIW: I do not know if the extra bracing under my 2020 GT, PP1, MagneRide, Vert is there because its a vert, or a PP1 car. I know I can't get to the torque boxes in the back because of the brace(s).

Last year I installed the Steeda Jacking Rails just to make it easier to raise for maintenance. I don't track my car or drive it hard so I haven't noticed any difference.

Hoofer, I keep reading that the convertible cars have that extra bracing. Nothing I've ever read says PP1 or PP2 cars get additional bracing...just better, stiffer, thicker bracing. Then again, I wouldn't know a torque box if it hit me in the head. Thanks for letting me know about the rails. So far I'm just going with Steeda 2 or 4 point brace, painting the calipers, and most likely a wheel/tire package. I might paint the existing wheels. I know they're good forged wheels I just don't like the look.

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Not nearly as much. The S197 convertible chassis was about twice as stiff as the SN95 convertible, and if anything the S550 convertible is stiffer yet.

This ^^^

Careful choice of wheels and tires could get you part of the way to PP2 feel, at least in reasonably normal driving. But expect ultimate limits to be lower and behavior up nearer to those limits more progressively understeerish (not a bad thing for a street-driven-only 'vert).

Norm
Norm, thanks for chiming in. I hear you. Really just trying to stiffen up the car's chassis and improve the styling to make it look more like a PP2car. I really like the stance and presence of my old car. This PP1 vert almost looks like it's nose diving and the wheels are sooo much narrower.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Also, the rear IRS braces from Steeda say they are for coupes only. Is there company that makes them for the convertible? Or can I modify them to fit?
You don't need the Steeda IRS because your convertible already has an extra welded in rear rail that goes from left to right and bolt in rear braces that go from that rail to both rocker panels. They bolt in with a total of sixteen bolts between the welded in rail and the rocker panels.
Convertible underside

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Get yourself a front chassis brace and a set of jacking rails that should reinforce the chassis. That will reduce the overall cowl shake and flimsy feeling with the body.

I’m not familiar with the convertibles 100%, but do they come with the engine bay strut tower barrack like the coupes? I would magine they should…
Hey Cobra Jet. I did this today. It was a significant improvement. Installed both Steeda jacking rails and Steeda underside 2 point brace. I immediately went on a top up, radio off, exhaust mode on quiet, ride. Seriously...I like my car A LOT more now. It worked. Interestingly, now I just notice all the other non chassis related rattles and noises. That's a good thing. Thanks for the advice. It was sage. I guess Ford didn't do this because....costs? The vert is almost as sturdy as the coupe. 👍

Sponsored
OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
CobraJet got it right, I noticed a significant reduction in cowl shake with the addition of the four point under brace. I added the full length jacking rails first but didn't notice much change structurally from them.

Congrats on the convertible! There are definitely performance trade-offs with losing the roof but enjoyment gains when the weather is nice.
I just put the 2 point and jacking rails in...significant is right. So much better. mustang6g to the rescue.

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)

The rails and sub frame brace combo significantly changed the structural stability of my 2019 PP1 convertible. No joke.

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
A week ago I picked up a ‘16 vert w GT Performance Pack, Roush Stage 1 and a Magnaflow cat back. Which bracing adds mentioned should I pursue, and what are approximate costs?

OP
OP
TonyNJ

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
A week ago I picked up a ‘16 vert w GT Performance Pack, Roush Stage 1 and a Magnaflow cat back. Which bracing adds mentioned should I pursue, and what are approximate costs?
The Steeda rails for $179 and 2 point subframe brace for $109 greatly improved my rides structural stability. There are other companies that offer similar products. I'm sure they're good too.

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
The Steeda rails for $179 and 2 point subframe brace for $109 greatly improved my rides structural stability. There are other companies that offer similar products. I'm sure they're good too.
Have you got a link to the 2 point subframe brace pleas? I can’t find it.
Sponsored

Last edited: