Sponsored

Sold my baby, need consoling - did I get a good deal?

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Who wouldn't pay 5k more for a completely new car.
Sometimes people aren't all that smart, don't do the proper research, don't know how to negotiate, and sometimes would prefer a loaded used car versus a stripper new car. Me, I prefer the latter.

As for all of those other question: don't worry about it. You did good selling the car, and getting rid of it quickly. No point in kicking yourself. Dealers know how to market and prepare and sell a car, and that's why they get a premium price. Plus, as you mentioned, financing is easier, buying a extended warranty can be bundled in, etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP
clevernickname

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Thanks all. Feel a bit better.

I get there's no 2020 base gts on the lot, but man, if I was in the market i'd be willing to wait a few months and just order it, considering it's fall/winter soon in vancouver, to pay 5k more for a 2020 with 5 years warranty included, more hp/torque for the 2018+ engine, A10, etc etc. Boggles my mind.

And to try to answer other posters, MY car was base except for the auto transmission, and the 30k the dealer is selling is pre tax, AND the 35k ford.ca is selling the new car is pre tax. Crazy.

Now i'm looking at a 2020 mustang gt cause of how cheap it is. I was originally going to get a c8 corvette. But it's double the price for 1 second faster 0-60 and 40 more HP. Not sure if worth? Then again by 2022/2023 new mustang gen might be announced so I might wait...

Clover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Factory 5 1965 Shelby Daytona Replica in progress, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2017 Nissan Leaf(gasp)
Vehicle Showcase
I often like to buy cars that are a couple years old to save myself money, but the math sucks on late model GTs now. I'm in the market and have also reached the conclusion that I am better off buying new right now then a used. Not a lot of used vehicles on the market right now and the prices have certainly gone up. Not a lot of new Mustangs on dealer lots right now either though.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
Now i'm looking at a 2020 mustang gt cause of how cheap it is. I was originally going to get a c8 corvette. But it's double the price for 1 second faster 0-60 and 40 more HP. Not sure if worth? Then again by 2022/2023 new mustang gen might be announced so I might wait...
If you wait long enough, you can get the best model yet and maybe drive it for a little while before they plant you six feet under.

The Corvette is a much better car in every regard except build quality, but it is twice the price and you may have a difficult time obtaining one in the near future. I've had 5 of them. They are too low and too difficult to get in and out of for me now. And made of plastic. And the C8 is missing a pedal.

I'd be hard pressed to buy a 2020 right now, when 2021 is just around the corner. Why not just order exactly what you want in the color that you want?

Deleted member 35786

The used car market is in high demand right now with COVID. People losing jobs, car manufactures cant keep up because of sick workers. If your going to buy new, might want to wait till next year when lots are full to get a better deal.

Sponsored

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
New car sales are in the tank at the moment, which means not many trade-ins, which means not many used cars on dealer lots. Supply and demand says when the supply is low price goes up, and when demand is low price goes down. That's exactly what you're seeing. Low demand for new cars means you can get a new GT for a great deal; low supply for used cars means prices on used cars is high. Simple as that.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
New car sales are in the tank at the moment
Not so sure about this. I think it is more of a supply issue than a sales one. My dealers biggest problem is getting cars from Ford. Their new car sales are holding up because they are buying cars from other dealers.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Not so sure about this. I think it is more of a supply issue than a sales one. My dealers biggest problem is getting cars from Ford. Their new car sales are holding up because they are buying cars from other dealers.
I just checked on autotrader.com. There are nearly 20 new GTs for sale within 100 miles of where I live. 2020 sales figures have recovered over the past few months from the huge decline earlier in the year, but that's likely because of the incredible incentives currently on offer. We just replaced my wife's 2014 Escape with a new 2020 model. Sticker price was nearly $40K (which is ludicrous), but after all the incentives we paid just under $30K.
Sponsored