Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
For a while now I've been pondering the last big mod for my car. I've had a couple turbo-4 cars in the past as well as PD-blown V8s, but never a V8 with turbos. I'm 99% sure that if I go this route, it'll be a Hellion setup.

Boost controller is a must have. A Sai Li triple pump should handle the fueling end, E85 is plentiful in my neck of the woods. I'll stick with my OEM engine (OPG and CS, however) until the event of something untimely happening to it. After that it'll probably be some 5.2 variant.

The debate is 55s versus 62s. The car will probably never see the strip, just nutty street fun. Based on dyno graphs I've seen, I think 55s would be the ticket with that fatter midrange, but there's always that room to grow. I welcome comments from the experienced on this aspect.

Beyond that, I want to hear about installation woes and any regrets. I'm on BMR SP080 springs and love the look, so I'm concerned about any clearance issues there.

Anything you can think of turbo guys, aaaaaaaand go!
Sponsored

HELLION TURBO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
For a while now I've been pondering the last big mod for my car. I've had a couple turbo-4 cars in the past as well as PD-blown V8s, but never a V8 with turbos. I'm 99% sure that if I go this route, it'll be a Hellion setup.

Boost controller is a must have. A Sai Li triple pump should handle the fueling end, E85 is plentiful in my neck of the woods. I'll stick with my OEM engine (OPG and CS, however) until the event of something untimely happening to it. After that it'll probably be some 5.2 variant.

The debate is 55s versus 62s. The car will probably never see the strip, just nutty street fun. Based on dyno graphs I've seen, I think 55s would be the ticket with that fatter midrange, but there's always that room to grow. I welcome comments from the experienced on this aspect.

Beyond that, I want to hear about installation woes and any regrets. I'm on BMR SP080 springs and love the look, so I'm concerned about any clearance issues there.

Glad to hear we are considered for your project!

Please let us know if we can help answer any questions.

Team Hellion

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
I chose the 55s over the 62s and I've been really happy with that choice so far. The torque comes on SO hard and I still made 840+whp @ 12 psi.

If you were going for 1k+ whp, I'd say upsize the turbos. But since its a street car on the stock motor, the 55s will be nasty.

Hellion now says 750+whp should have ball bearing turbos, which was news to me. So keep that in mind.

pwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
62 owner here... Get the 55s and do the ball-bearing upgrade. The 62s are by no means bad and they're great up top. The realistic street application of the 55s is so much more practical. They're a thousand horse capable anyway and you will definitely love the added range. Being able to spool faster is definitely key in the occasional highway trips to Mexico. While the delay isn't terrible, it's noticeable. I should've listened to Hellion when I asked them.

yelloaboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
I may be talking out my rear but for a street car the 55s are still to slow to boost. On the highway yeah but not light to light so to speak. Plus 9k for a kit is crazy to me. I would rather take the 9k and catch the Whipple or KB on sale and buy suspension parts with the rest lol.

Sponsored

pwny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I may be talking out my rear but for a street car the 55s are still to slow to boost. On the highway yeah but not light to light so to speak. Plus 9k for a kit is crazy to me. I would rather take the 9k and catch the Whipple or KB on sale and buy suspension parts with the rest lol.
To clarify, it's not like the 62s are akin to watching turtles fornicate, not even with the 350 manifold. I can ramp up the eBoost and they hit like a train. The 55s will just pack a bigger punch down low. So from light to light and on the highway, they're more practical if you hear someone yell "light em up" and you're not in first gear. I run 325 MPSS in the rear and they 62s can still knock the tires off in 3rd gear. Plus, versus an S/C, you easily dial the boost and wastegate and the car literally drives like stock. So if you get caught in less than desirable weather (rain or snow of us Midwestern folk), the car drive just like stock.

You can absolutely buy comparable performance (at the desired level) for less. There are a few times where I've really thought a supercharger would've been cheaper. However, once you factor in the cost of proper headers for a supercharger kit, a large part of that gap is gone. Yes, it probably is a little more expensive but a portion of it simply sticker shock because it's all there at once. Also, there's something to be said when you pop the hood for this kit.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
You're just not right lol. If you're in the right gear, the power comes on immediately. How do you figure that the turbos wouldn't be good "light to light" but a supercharger would be?

And if you go for a blower, it'll take way more than $9k to make the same power. You still need to buy longtubes, which makes the price difference negligible.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Buddy is going 6.0's at 120 in the 1/8th with the hellion kit on a stock motor. they are awesome kits

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
To clarify, it's not like the 62s are akin to watching turtles fornicate, not even with the 350 manifold. I can ramp up the eBoost and they hit like a train. The 55s will just pack a bigger punch down low. So from light to light and on the highway, they're more practical if you hear someone yell "light em up" and you're not in first gear. I run 325 MPSS in the rear and they 62s can still knock the tires off in 3rd gear. Plus, versus an S/C, you easily dial the boost and wastegate and the car literally drives like stock. So if you get caught in less than desirable weather (rain or snow of us Midwestern folk), the car drive just like stock.

You can absolutely buy comparable performance (at the desired level) for less. There are a few times where I've really thought a supercharger would've been cheaper. However, once you factor in the cost of proper headers for a supercharger kit, a large part of that gap is gone. Yes, it probably is a little more expensive but a portion of it simply sticker shock because it's all there at once. Also, there's something to be said when you pop the hood for this kit.
My thoughts exactly.

Dialing boost has huge appeal for me. I don't want this to be a turbo/SC pissing match, but appreciate the discussion.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Everyone is different but I think you should always buy something a little above what your current plans are because power is addictive and your goals will change. I bought a Paxton 2200SL kit because I wanted to go a high 9 and that kit will get you there but now I want more. Much more expensive to upgrade after the purchase. If you really have no plans to take the car to the track I think a whipple is the way to go.

Sponsored

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto
My 62’s come on so fast and roast the tires I wouldn’t even want the 55’s, plus the 62’s give you better power potential down the road. I’ve gone 5.7 at 123 in the 1/8 and 8.9 at 153 in the 1/4 with my stock motor. Hellion kit is great. Well worth the investment and partnered with a boost leash makes it amazing.

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
My 62’s come on so fast and roast the tires I wouldn’t even want the 55’s, plus the 62’s give you better power potential down the road. I’ve gone 5.7 at 123 in the 1/8 and 8.9 at 153 in the 1/4 with my stock motor. Hellion kit is great. Well worth the investment and partnered with a boost leash makes it amazing.
What additional options did you go with when ordering your kit? Turbo blankets? Ceramic coating, ball bearing? billet wheels

Slamdcoop0428

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium auto
What additional options did you go with when ordering your kit? Turbo blankets? Ceramic coating, ball bearing? billet wheels
I have turbo blankets but ordered them from Thermal Zero. Thy are based out of Ohio and American made in house. $150 each but so worth it. Haven’t Deteriorated in the slightest. No Ceramic Coating and was journal bearing but upgraded to ball bearing. All the precisions turbo options for this kit are all billet wheels standard.

GT2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NADA BRAH

I always opt for the bigger turbo size as it will make for a bit more power on pump. A bigger compressor will just make more power on the same lower levels of PSI that pump gas can hold. Sure it's a bit "laggier", but realistically you don't want to be flogging the car at low rpm anyway. Besides with a 5.0 you basically have a 62 and 2.5 4cylinder x2. 61mm is a great size for a 2.0 and with a 2.5 should be great for street stuff.

And if lag ever really is an issue, just convert to corn fuel and you'll spool up noticeably faster.

Then as you said more room to grow without spending any extra $ on new turbos.

16TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium/Auto, Oxford/Redline
I have the Hellion 62s on my car. Honestly, if the 55s make more power down low, that would definitely push me towards the 62s. I run 305 NT05TRs and have no traction, even with my boost controller set to the lowest (Westgate, 7.5lbs) boost. The 62s pull crazy hard up top. Other than Viking rear shocks, suspension is stock, so if you had decent suspension, you might be able to take advantage of the 55s lower rpm power edge though. As for installation, I've installed a whipple system on a previous mustang and the turbo system was easily twice as much work, but definitely worth it! There are approximately 225 steps (I called them jobs) and I just crossed off each job til I was done, taking about 1 month of tinkering with it on weekends (about 30 hours total in my estimation). It was my first foray into turbos, so I could probably do it much faster now that I understand the system. Fit/finish/customer service all outstanding, and Hellion powered cars pretty much speak for themselves as far as performance goes.
Sponsored