Sponsored

So who else decided to try home brewing during covid?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So I live in the self titled beer city. Asheviile nc where there are so many brewers that during covid al the stores here had massive selves of craft hand santizers cause the brewers had to stop cause no business. We have I think seriously 30 brewers in this town its everywhere. You would think with that much competition beer would get cheaper.... ahhhn nooo. Its gotten so bad here that now 10 ounce beers cost upwards of 9 bucks with averages of 7. Screw that. Knowing this stuff cost pennies to brew the costs are ridiculous.

So of to my brew store I go. Now I know jack about brewing. so I call some people ask a ton of questions watch a few videos...(pro tip dont watch brewing videos on you tube they will just confuse you and are full of so much wrong info).

Anyway I start ff simple IM making a hard seltzer. cheap to make easy to do and hard to screw up. Fast forward a week and bingo I have 5 gallons of fairly tasty stuff. I spent total of 50 bucks for all supplies (i started with nothing) and my next batch all I need is the yeast and sugar so will cost only 7 bucks for next 5 gallons.

Right now I am enjoying a tall 20 ounce drink at about 8% Content that with going out tip and gas would have cost me 25 bucks for.

I think I might try an easy beer next... pilsner? whats an easy beer for a beginner? I may also try something with blackberries as they are everywhere in the mountains right now i can pick about 10 lbs easy in a few hours.

what are you all making and what tips do you have?

My first fancy self brewed drink :) I decided not to filter, I filtered first gallon crystal clear and it lost something. tasted better not filtered so left the rest unflitered.
20200802_181951.jpg
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I dont drink alcohol, but it looks yummy. I cant contribute anything to this thread.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've been brewing since 2014, so it's nothing new. Actually, I've brewed less this year than most. It's a fun thing to experiment with when I have the time.

I've probably created upwards of two dozen recipes. Just created a graham cracker porter recipe last weekend, of which I'm interested to see the results.

The easiest beers for beginners are generally ales and the like.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Been a beer brewer for several years. Tried wine making for this first time this year. Made a cab and a kiwi wine. If anyone wants to share the recipes, get 'em out.
IMG_20200814_163251.jpg
IMG_20200620_191014.jpg
Sponsored