Status
Not open for further replies.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I like guns so I've been trying to figure out why I would want/need a 5.56 with 10 " barrel, other than just another AR to build. I don't get it.
To me a 5.56 is way to overpowered to use for home self defense, add muzzle blast, and destroying your ears if you ever shot it inside a house car etc..

Then I look at the Ruger Charger pistol since it is a 22. By the time you trick it out, the only thing original left is receivor, then you put a brace and maybe silencer and you are back to regular size rifle.

I much rather have a good 17 round 9 mm in full size frame that should do well for home defense with proper ammo. Add a suppressor and everything is good.

I'm I missing something?
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm not sure I understand your question. Have you ever shot a short barreled rifle/ar-pistol? Ever done any carbine training courses? They are fun as hell to shoot IMO. Yes there is tremendous blast compared to a 16+" rifle but that can be mitigated with muzzle devices. Of course there is the option for pistol caliber carbines as well(I'm leaning towards a CMMG banshee in 9mm) for reduced blast/recoil/cost.

In addition to my PWS MK116 rifle I also have a MK111mod2 in pistol config and it is so much fun to shoot. It still has their A2-equivalent muzzle device but I have a Troy Claymore that I can swap on to reduce muzzle blast(at the expense of slightly increased recoil). No I would not use it for my home defense since I live in an apartment but if I lived on any land with more space I'd rather have a rifle.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I have 2 10.5" AR's, each with their own dedicated suppressor and legit SBR's...no braces. Have you ever shot a suppressor on a 16" or even 14.7" AR? It's not the lightest combo and the OAL would make it harder to use inside a home.

I agree on wanting a 9mm with the right setup, I'd like a variation of an MP or sub-9mm for home defense one of these days.

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When they first came out I understood that they were probably just another type of gun for a gun person to hang in the safe. Seems that they are now becoming mainstream.

First I understand the fun they could be at a range. I don't have issues with that.

The part that gets me is seems everyone is pushing as a great firearm for home defense. Blows my mind when you think of what it takes to stop a 223/5.56.

Also by the time you suppressor and brace, are you not at same length as a patrol AR15?

No I have not even seen or held one in person. I am just trying to understand what other use could this firearm be used for other than paper punching? Tax stamps ain't cheap and can get you into alot of legal issues

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
When they first came out I understood that they were probably just another type of gun for a gun person to hang in the safe. Seems that they are now becoming mainstream.

When do you think short barreled rifles were first developed? From my limited knowledge on firearms history the MK18(10.3" barrel) was adopted in 2000 but short barreled versions of the M4 were in use or at least developed earlier than that.

edit: 1966 the CAR-15/XM-177 aka Colt Commando was fielded in Vietnam with a 10.3" barrel.

The part that gets me is seems everyone is pushing as a great firearm for home defense. Blows my mind when you think of what it takes to stop a 223/5.56.

What do you mean "what it takes to stop a .223/5.56? Are you referring to collateral damage? In a home setting a .223 will fragment upon hitting interior walls and deflect well before a pistol caliber will. Adding to that the number of quality ammo specifically for this purpose and you are looking at an arguably safer home defense caliber.

Also by the time you suppressor and brace, are you not at same length as a patrol AR15?

A brace adds no length to the firearm compared to a stock so not sure what you're getting at there. Adding a suppressor would indeed add some length but then again I wouldn't want to fire any rifle indoors without one so the suppressed SBR will still be shorter than a suppressed rifle.

No I have not even seen or held one in person. I am just trying to understand what other use could this firearm be used for other than paper punching? Tax stamps ain't cheap and can get you into alot of legal issues

I consider my AR's to both ultimately be SHTF weapons but until then they are fun as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not as educated on firearms as you, so what you write I do not doubt. I'm a causal gun person. So I'm not aware of history and a lot of technical information.

I just cruise the gun forums and I receive the emails on sales etc.. If you can uunderstand why I may be confused. So most of SBR stuff to me is 24 months old?

Your information on the 5.56 ammo still does not convince me that this makes a good home defense weapon, choosing the correct ammo for any firearm will give similar results. I have no problem with people wanting them, it keeps the gun people in business.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
SBR's are very handy in tactical situations esp when exiting a vehicle or room to room clearing. Carbine power, short profile, more accurate than a sidearm. Bullet choice is also better. That's where they shine, home defense not so good, just too damn loud, lots of muzzle flash and lots of penetration. Better off with a sidearm or small shotgun. Or even better yet a small sidearm that shoots shotgun pellets.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I would not reccomend using a suppressor on your home defense weapon. In case you get overzealous and happen to get prosecuted you're looking at federal firearms charges for using an NFA item.

2018OFPP1?2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
'92 LX 5.0 Vert, 2018 GT PP2
800lb/ft > 400lb/ft. Plus you can transition to intermediate range targets that 9mm is all but worthless for.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I have no problem paying the tax stamp, but waiting 10-11 months is just ridiculous. I have several SBR's and "Pistols" and suppressors, but I'm just over the whole wait period. I only buy "pistol" rated lowers now. That way I can make them whatever I want and can run a brace until the tax stamp clears, then convert to sbr.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Or even better yet a small sidearm that shoots shotgun pellets.

If you're talking about the Taurus Judge, ballistic testing has not shown favorable results IMO as compared to dedicated defense pistol calibers.

I would not reccomend using a suppressor on your home defense weapon. In case you get overzealous and happen to get prosecuted you're looking at federal firearms charges for using an NFA item.

Care to elaborate?

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
If you're talking about the Taurus Judge, ballistic testing has not shown favorable results IMO as compared to dedicated defense pistol calibers.
Hard to believe that a chest full of 00 buckshot or a 410 slug at short range wouldn't ruin someone's day. Not as likely to penetrate into your children's bedroom than a 9mm +P.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't have a problem using a suppressor, if it was already attached. The shooting is either self defense or not. If the dudes inside my house with bad intentions, Grandpa's old civil war cannon would even be appropriate.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Hard to believe that a chest full of 00 buckshot or a 410 slug at short range wouldn't ruin someone's day. Not as likely to penetrate into your children's bedroom than a 9mm +P.
This.

Outside 00 buck, .410 slug, or the weirdo copper disc defense ammo, the Judge/Governor isn't terribly effective as a defense weapon. I still want one, mainly as a curiosity, and also since I have a couple of .410 long guns and like to have multiple things that use the same ammo.

I'll keep my 9mm/.38/.357s for self defense....

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

Other than point blank ranges the spread from the Judge doesn't look very promising compared to an actual shotgun(duh). Not saying it wouldn't ruin someones day but so would a .22 minus the recoil/noise and pellet spread. If I were using a Judge for home defense I'd load it with .45 Colt.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.